• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Sorry i was referring to AsRock and biostar showing their hand the other day, nowt new. Just reading into the rumour that the ryzen showcased at CES ran at 4.6ghz boost on a 65w TDP. If that's the case then surely 95w chips will get close to that mythical 5ghz number, and definately the 125w 16c behemoth if that exists.

4.6ghz all core boost vs 9900k of 4.7ghz - interesting times

Caporegime
Sorry i was referring to AsRock and biostar showing their hand the other day, nowt new. Just reading into the rumour that the ryzen showcased at CES ran at 4.6ghz boost on a 65w TDP. If that's the case then surely 95w chips will get close to that mythical 5ghz number, and definately the 125w 16c behemoth if that exists.

That would make sense and if they are boosting to 4.6Ghz, in MT Cinebench R15 Zen + is about 1 to 2% higher IPC, so with a slight IPC bump Zen 2 would beat the 9900K by a % or two with 100Mhz lower clocks, as it did, with that they should be about 95% the gaming performance of the 9900K out of the box.

And if AMD did that with a 65 watt chip its mindblowing, at 4.7Ghz the 9900K is running two to three times that power.

Caporegime
Whilst it is mind-blowing, it would be a major disappointment if Zen 2 was barely any better clock for clock than a Zen + CPU.

The thing is, it doesn't need to be, honestly i'm not in the least bit bothered, look on average across 20+ games including older and new games the 9900K at 5Ghz is 20% faster than a 4.2Ghz 2700X, with a 3% gaming IPC bump at 4.7Ghz Zen 2 will do 95% the gaming performance of that 5Ghz 9900K, at literally half the price and half the power consumption.

That's awesome, nothing short of fantastic, it makes Intel's greatest look old and massively overpriced, the 3600X will fly off the shelves, they wont be able to make them fast enough to keep up with demand.

And if they do overclock to 5Ghz... well Intel are done! Stick a fork in them.

Soldato
Whilst it is mind-blowing, it would be a major disappointment if Zen 2 was barely any better clock for clock than a Zen + CPU.
Partially agreed. Look, if we can buy an 8 core chip that boosts to 4.6 GHz on all cores for significantly less than the i9-9900K, then we're all winners. Even with a tiny IPC increase it will perform better in most cases, it will use less power, and it'll clock nearly as high (if it boosts to 4.6 GHz all cores, it'll likely overclock to around 4.8 GHz). Even 4.6 GHz is a big jump from the ~4.2 GHz the R7 2700X runs at using all cores.

At the same time, there's so much hype around Zen 2 that something like a 5% IPC increase would be rather disappointing.

Caporegime
You know, its nice to see there is so much expectation from AMD's CPU's these days that expecting their new mid range CPU to get to with in touching distance of Intel best at half the price is almost a given, with some people saying they would be disappointed if it didn't beat Intel's best.

What a marvelous potion for AMD to be in and what a turn around in just a few years. eh? ;)

Caporegime
Is it worth buying RAM etc just now for Zen 2? Just looking to get some components together to split the cost a bit (RAM, Case, SSD etc)

DDR4 and SSD's right now are cheaper than they have been for years, yes right now is the time to buy because the longer you wait the higher the chances are all this stuff starts ramping up in price again, i suspect when Ryzen 3000 hits the demand for this stuff will be so high prices will start to climb. ;)

Soldato
Is it worth buying RAM etc just now for Zen 2? Just looking to get some components together to split the cost a bit (RAM, Case, SSD etc)
I was thinking this but the sticks I have my eye on are massive and I am concerned about cooler clearance, which I can't really test until I have a motherboard in my hands.

Soldato
In the early days of Ryzen it was pretty much necessary to get Samsung B-die to push DDR4 to 3000+ MT/s speeds, which in turn improved performance because it made Infinity Fabric run faster. Two years on, with Ryzen 2000 series CPUs and much more mature BIOSs, it really isn't necessary. For most, the price premium of 3200 MT/s CL14 kits like the one you linked to (~£140) over 3200 MT/s CL16 kits (~£90) just isn't worth it. You could maybe justify it at a £20-30 premium but no higher IMO.

It'd be disappointing from the view that the new architecture didn't make much of a difference. It'd have been the node that was giving the lower power consumption and increased clocks.
I think I'd be more impressed with there being some clocking headroom left on the table for a future iteration if they were matching the 9900K already.
Don't get me wrong, it'll be superb if it matches the 9900K regardless of how it does it, especially at significantly lower pricing. I want it to knock the 9900K out of the park, and I feel it can only do so with improved clocks AND a decent IPC bump.

Soldato
In the early days of Ryzen it was pretty much necessary to get Samsung B-die to push DDR4 to 3000+ MT/s speeds, which in turn improved performance because it made Infinity Fabric run faster. Two years on, with Ryzen 2000 series CPUs and much more mature BIOSs, it really isn't necessary. For most, the price premium of 3200 MT/s CL14 kits like the one you linked to (~£140) over 3200 MT/s CL16 kits (~£90) just isn't worth it. You could maybe justify it at a £20-30 premium but no higher IMO.

Going to bounce off your post to draw attention to some kits as there's a £30 premium over £90 on one of them, which fits the bill:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £298.67 (includes shipping: £8.70)

The last one appears to be identical to the £140 kit - 16GB 3200MHz CAS 14 kit for £120. Would say there's an excellent chance of that being Samsung B-Die, and the top quality B-Die as well, unless lower quality B-Die can also achieve the same timings at that frequency or other non-main timings have been slackened.

The others look like the best choice for ~£80 (CAS 18 though) and ~£90.

Lxxox1P.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Team_Group/T-Force_Night_Hawk_Legend_RGB/4.html

Last edited:
Soldato

No, just put your money to one side and buy it when things when Zen2 is out and there are reviews etc. Also RAM prices are going to continue to decline past Q2 and into Q3, and may even possibly still be dropping in Q4 due oversupply/Intel shortages. Same goes for NAND, especially if you are targeting an NVMe based disks production is only starting to be lessened from certain manufacturers of NAND but again there is massive oversupply presently.

Permabanned
Going to bounce off your post to draw attention to some kits as there's a £30 premium over £90 on one of them, which fits the bill:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £298.67 (includes shipping: £8.70)

The last one appears to be identical to the £140 kit - 16GB 3200MHz CAS 14 kit for £120. Would say there's an excellent chance of that being Samsung B-Die, and the top quality B-Die as well, unless lower quality B-Die can also achieve the same timings at that frequency or other non-main timings have been slackened.

The others look like the best choice for ~£80 (CAS 18 though) and ~£90.

Those C18 timings of the Hynix modules are embarrassing. I'd try to get anything better than that.

Soldato
I was just looking at the RAM in this thread so thought it would be best to ask.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...00mhz-dual-channel-kit-black.18787253/page-39

I see what you are saying Dragon, My current build is really tight with clearance to the cooler.

I also noticed the 500GB MX500 is under £50 in some places now, 1TB sitting at £119

If you are worried about clearance I was able to remove the top part of the heatspreader of that RAM so it would fit under a large PH-TC14PE air cooler. You need a star headed screwdriver to undo 2 screws per stick.

Unless it looks like we are going to get a big price hike i would hold off on buying some until the CPU are out and reviewed. Quite a few people on here bought RAM in preparation for Zen 1 only to find that it wouldn't run at anything like it's rated speed due to the peculiarities of the CPUs that were not know about until after launch. It took until around December of 2017 until Asus released a BIOS that resolved the memory related cold booting issues i was having on a Corsshair VI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom