Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
That was terrible :p

Too fast paced, too dark, screen flitting around too much to really have half a clue what was going on.

I was bored and flicking on my phone by halfway through.

In spoilers anyone mind summing up who died from the main cast? Don't want to watch it again to find out.

Hopefully how they finish up with Cersei will be good, I think they reached too far with that and fell a little short (I felf the same about the sea battle outside Kings Landing, whatever that was called)

Sui

Sui

Soldato
In spoilers anyone mind summing up who died from the main cast? Don't want to watch it again to find out.

Beric
Theon
Jorah maybe, he's very badly wounded but I don't recall they actually showed his death?
And the guy with long hair who watches out for Samwell, forget his name

Man of Honour
It wasn't clear to me if both dragons survived.

One certainly would have been pretty badly injured by all those wights stabbing it.

Edit - According to next week preview they both survived. Hopefully that revelation doesn't annoy anyone.
Before your edit I did think fuuuuuuuu tbh as it is a bit of a spoiler for those that deliberately don’t watch previews :(

Cant be too mad though, I shouldn’t be reading the thread if that upsets me.

Man of Honour
Beric
Theon
Jorah maybe, he's very badly wounded but I don't recall they actually showed his death?
And the guy with long hair who watches out for Samwell, forget his name

Yeah Jorah died. Dolores Edd is the Samwell guy, also Lyanna Mormont died and Melisandre too of course

Caporegime
Before your edit I did think fuuuuuuuu tbh as it is a bit of a spoiler for those that deliberately don’t watch previews :(

I did think about it, but it's more of a clarification of events that took place, not a huge plot spoiler for the next episode.

Sui

Sui

Soldato

They didn't actually show a dragon die though, so I just considered it was only wounded? I was always expecting 2 next episode, although one possibly not flying too well!

Soldato
That was intense, although the plot armour is just absurdly strong for some characters which took some of the tension away. Superbly executed episode though!

Also the single most important thing
Ghost survived, somehow!

Soldato
I felt the same about the sea battle outside Kings Landing
The 'best' thing about the early series (typified by the unseen battles Robb won) was that they couldn't afford big fights... at least not to do them justice. Later on the money's there, but big fantasy battles are always disappointing after the initial adrenaline rush with all the supernatural/extraordinary reveals, because fighting only means something on an individual level. What's the thing they say about disasters? One death's a tragedy, a thousand's a statistic? Something like that. They tried to bring it back to the individual, but with an avalanche of undead knocking around I found the quiet bits in the midst of battle a bit hard to take.

Soldato
That was terrible :p

Too fast paced, too dark, screen flitting around too much to really have half a clue what was going on.

I was bored and flicking on my phone by halfway through.

Hopefully how they finish up with Cersei will be good, I think they reached too far with that and fell a little short (I felf the same about the sea battle outside Kings Landing, whatever that was called)

Confirmed Dead:

Theon Greyjoy
Melisandre
Eddison Tollett
Beric Dondarrion
Lyanna Mormont

Likely dead:

Jorah Mormont

Soldato
Overall that was a great episode, really entertaining and atmospheric, with some fantastic shots and direction. As others have said, the picture quality was quite poor, there was very noticeable black crunch in a lot of the dark scenes on my OLED, which just doesn't happen when I watch decent 4k content. Sky seriously need to hurry up and get more stuff in 4k, it's a bit silly that the likes of Netflix can release so many TV shows in 4k, and have been doing so for a number of years now, but Sky are still limited to sports broadcasts and the odd 4k show released as a box set or on catch-up.

With regards to the actual episode, generally it was great, but there were a few 'wtf?' moments. The Dothraki charging off into the darkness was moronic, as was Jon chasing after the NK on Rhaegal, which was obviously a trap/an attempt to get him away from Bran. Danny landing Drogon when she saved Jon was probably the single most stupid moment, plus there was the classic cliched Hollywood 'stop to talk or stare at each other during intense battle, only to die or get severely wounded' thing a few times, which I thought GoT was above. Also, not arming the people down in the crypt was incredibly dumb as well, at least give them a fighting chance.

Can anyone explain how Arya got to the NK? Some people in this forum are saying she was in the Godswood tree and jumped out of it, but she jumped at the NK from behind and Bran was sitting in front of the tree, so that doesn't make sense. Plus, one of the White Walkers hair fluttered as if she had just passed him.

Still, it was gripping TV and I'm looking forward to the last three episodes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really enjoyed the episode, though the main take away I have is Westeros clearly wouldn't have been in this state if they'd just let Mini-Mormont take control from the very beginning. She would have had Robert Baratheon quit the whoring, cut back on the mead, drop 50 pounds and then reconcile with his wife before give the Night King a damn good talking too. Boom, problem solved, harmony in the South, peace in the North, and the undead horde sat firmly on the naughty step until they buck their ideas up.

Caporegime
The stories of the Night King and the White Walker threat had been passed down for generations, describing him as the most feared and dangerous being of all time. One that makes the fights for the Iron Throne completely irrelevant. Creating his army and biding his time for thousands of years to become the largest threat to mankind ever....

....Killed in mere seconds by a kid who did a few months training in Braavos. Incredible stuff. :p

You could get rid of all the Bran and NK rubbish from the last 8 seasons and absolutely nothing would change. It was just all pointless.

Soldato
The stories of the Night King and the White Walker threat had been passed down for generations, describing him as the most feared and dangerous being of all time. One that makes the fights for the Iron Throne completely irrelevant. Creating his army and biding his time for thousands of years to become the largest threat to mankind ever....

....Killed in mere seconds by a kid who did a few months training in Braavos. Incredible stuff. :p

You could get rid of all the Bran and NK rubbish from the last 8 seasons and absolutely nothing would change. It was just all pointless.

This is what's leaving me a bit deflated about the whole thing, this evil entity which was built up since the start, gone in one fell swoop.

Not only that, I'd hope that the NK had more purpose than just being pure evil, the spirals and symbols would mean something, it feels like there's something missing after all of that, it feels like Bran is hiding something maybe?

Soldato
Good episode but the armchair general and Total War veteran in me was really annoyed :D

They just threw Dothraki away for nothing in a suicidal cavalry charge and then proceeded to waste the Unsullied as well. Surely they would have served much better manning the walls from the start? They did serve their cinematic purpose though at least :p

Soldato
The Night King was created by being stabbed under a wierwood tree.
The Night King died by being stabbed under a wierwood tree.

Poetic Justice it would seem.

Also.... Arya is a badass!!!
Also created under the tree with Dragonglass and killed with Valarian Steel.

Completely agree with everyone though. The NK's demise was poorly handled for a mythical figure that had been spoken about for generations. Not even excited for the upcoming episodes as a result.

Soldato
Overall that was a great episode, really entertaining and atmospheric, with some fantastic shots and direction. As others have said, the picture quality was quite poor, there was very noticeable black crunch in a lot of the dark scenes on my OLED, which just doesn't happen when I watch decent 4k content. Sky seriously need to hurry up and get more stuff in 4k, it's a bit silly that the likes of Netflix can release so many TV shows in 4k, and have been doing so for a number of years now, but Sky are still limited to sports broadcasts and the odd 4k show released as a box set or on catch-up.

With regards to the actual episode, generally it was great, but there were a few 'wtf?' moments. The Dothraki charging off into the darkness was moronic, as was Jon chasing after the NK on Rhaegal, which was obviously a trap/an attempt to get him away from Bran. Danny landing Drogon when she saved Jon was probably the single most stupid moment, plus there was the classic cliched Hollywood 'stop to talk or stare at each other during intense battle, only to die or get severely wounded' thing a few times, which I thought GoT was above. Also, not arming the people down in the crypt was incredibly dumb as well, at least give them a fighting chance.

Can anyone explain how Arya got to the NK? Some people in this forum are saying she was in the Godswood tree and jumped out of it, but she jumped at the NK from behind and Bran was sitting in front of the tree, so that doesn't make sense. Plus, one of the White Walkers hair fluttered as if she had just passed him.

Still, it was gripping TV and I'm looking forward to the last three episodes.

Same way she snuck up on Jon in the first episode...

Back
Top Bottom