Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I feel they tried to do something different here for the sake of being original, i.e. a battle in the dark with more of a horror-vibe than previous battles, like with the BotBs, which by comparison was very slick and appropriately lit, or the more typical battles in the bright snow they've had previously with the white walkers.

I wonder how many are now considering upgrading their TVs thanks to this episode. Even in pitch darkness my old 1080p 42" TV had such low brightness and clarity it was very nearly unwatchable, making it a constant frustration, more so than any issue I might take with the plot itself.

I thought the NK was going to try converting Bran into a white walker. A WW with the power of the three eyed raven would be massive.

I thought that too, though looked like he was just reaching for his sword before Arya interrupted him, suggesting he was simply going to kill Bran. I was wondering if we were going to a get a Matrix Revolutions-type conversion, which might have been interesting even if the NK still died moments later.

As it stands, looks like they've wrapped up the story of the white walkers, and I'm struggling to see any clever thing they can do to resurrect them and keep them in the show. The last big bad now being wine glass swirling Cersei and her 'I hate everyone' attitude seems a tad underwhelming compared to the existential threat to all life posed by the white walkers.

I think it'd have been far more satisfying if we had the battle for the iron throne first, and then the plot developments happen with the NK breaching the wall / getting a dragon and sweeping down to King's Landing for a big finale.

Oh well, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the story and quality of the last three episodes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic battle can't fault the action direction and Arya was badass, the story though was pretty underwhelming too much plot armour on too many characters which is just not GOT not to mention the whole
Mellisandre spoiling the end with her shutting of blue eyes comment to Arya half way through the episode
and
Theon's death felt pretty dumb, maybe if Bran had said he was a smart man he might not have YOLO'd the NK

Soldato
I feel like HBO are deliberately keeping WW stuff back for the prequel series, such is their want. Also worth remembering there's no NK in the books, and the WW's are 'The Others' and likely won't pose the exact same threat, won't have a dragon, won't have a battle of WF etc.

Soldato
Hope they don't waste half an episode resolving the near certain Bronn/Jamie/Tyrion plot. That should take 10 minutes tops. At this point I can't imagine a less time worthy thread.

Now they seem to have blown their load on finishing with the NK, I am feeling there might now be room for a final twist with Littlefinger coming back at the very end to take the throne from under whoever is the last man/woman standing. Based on the Littlefinger get-out clause that was speculated last season. They could have filmed it then such that they wouldn't have to have had to recall Aiden Gillen for the final season, if it turns out the be a "Ha haaah! type Scooby Doo in reverse face pulling moment"

Caporegime
Now they seem to have blown their load on finishing with the NK, I am feeling there might now be room for a final twist with Littlefinger coming back at the very end to take the throne from under whoever is the last man/woman standing. Based on the Littlefinger get-out clause that was speculated last season. They could have filmed it then such that they wouldn't have to have had to recall Aiden Gillen for the final season, if it turns out the be a "Ha haaah! type Scooby Doo in reverse face pulling moment"

Eh? He was killed in Winterfell.

Arya could wear his face but that's about it.

Man of Honour

I never really understood the Littlefinger get out clause, from what I read of it, it seems impossible

Soldato

My emphasis was on whether they wanted a real mind bending ending to try and top the NK snuffing, assuming the Cersei resolution ends up being a run of the mill battle. Thus pulling out this get out clause for Littlefinger. The vids I saw on the theory on it had some very interesting stuff. Could all just be red herrings though of course.

Man of Honour

My emphasis was on whether they wanted a real mind bending ending to try and top the NK snuffing, assuming the Cersei resolution ends up being a run of the mill battle. Thus pulling out this get out clause for Littlefinger. The vids I saw on the theory on it had some very interesting stuff. Could all just be red herrings though of course.

But wasn't the crux of the Littlefinger get out clause, that he paid a faceless to take his place...I thought that wasn't possible, I thought they could only take the face of someone who was dead, so in order for it to be a fake Littlefinger in Winterfell, Littlefinger would have already needed to be dead anyway

Caporegime
What's with the spoiler tags anyway? It says in the OP we don't need them for episodes aired at 2AM.

Personally, I liked the fact it was Arya who killed the Night King. Really exposes Jon Snow's hubris.

I don't really mind the fact that it was her that killed him, but he could have went out in a better way. They could have had some Return of the Jedi type final battle between Jon and NK, only for Jon to fall to his knees and about to be killed, THEN have Arya come in and save the day. That would have been a bit more satisfying. At least we'd actually get to see the Night King do something other than walk really slowly...

Man of Honour
I don't really mind the fact that it was her that killed him, but he could have went out in a better way. They could have had some Return of the Jedi type final battle between Jon and NK, only for Jon to fall to his knees and about to be killed, THEN have Arya come in and save the day. That would have been a bit more satisfying. At least we'd actually get to see the Night King do something other than walk really slowly...

This I agree with...after being hyped up as the big evil for 8 seasons, I really don't see what the fear was regarding him, he did very little overall except walk about a lot, stand and raise his arms, stare intently at people and then get killed in 15 seconds. To be quite honest, I feel like Ramsey Bolton was 10 times the bad guy that the NK was.

Associate
This is what's leaving me a bit deflated about the whole thing, this evil entity which was built up since the start, gone in one fell swoop.

Not only that, I'd hope that the NK had more purpose than just being pure evil, the spirals and symbols would mean something, it feels like there's something missing after all of that, it feels like Bran is hiding something maybe?

From what i recall the spiral symbol was symbolic of the Wierwood Tree where the NK was created. the spirals representing the stones spiralling out from the tree etc. Also there are theories that the NK was in fact an ancient Stark *astard that was born in the Crypts. Im not sure how likely that is though.

Associate
Dothraki massacre aside have to give kudos to how they showed the unsullied stand. Really got a feel for how much of a wrecking ball the dead were with their charge. The weight of numbers meant they just swamped the first 3/4 ranks before they even slowed up. I'd of been out of there, they must have real big balls!

Soldato
Dothraki massacre aside have to give kudos to how they showed the unsullied stand. Really got a feel for how much of a wrecking ball the dead were with their charge. The weight of numbers meant they just swamped the first 3/4 ranks before they even slowed up. I'd of been out of there, they must have real big balls!

Except they don't :p

Associate
Except they don't :p

;)

More I think about the episode more impressed I am. I think it'll certainly be divisive in terms of how it finished but the spectacle of it will start to grow on people. Especially on repeat viewings (where you can actually see what is going on) and knowing what's coming rather than worrying about your fav character.

Eight years ago I never thought I'd see something like that on TV.

Plot armour for some characters was a bit too much I agree, shouldn't have shown quite so many of them so completely out matched and swamped but rather fighting in ever smaller formations. I think Brienne got buried twice!

NK was the most dangerous foe but he was never front and foremost in the story of the TV show, just a lurking menace. The real meat of the show has always been about the Iron Throne.
How that will be resolved is anyones guess!

Back
Top Bottom