Imperator: Rome (Paradox's Next Grand Strategy Title)

Soldato
This kind of thing needs fleshing out like in EUIV.

Yea, it could definitely do with more fleshing out and stuff added in quite a few places, and that will come with patches and finally DLC (there's already a little 'free' content in line for June iirc). But it's nowhere near the shallow game people are making it out to be imo.

Permabanned
I have no idea what has happened in my current game, the war tab showed up and says 'this tiny guy here is leading the war of independence'. I check it out and all of a sudden everything I've conquered outside of Italy is now split between two new random factions, and Carthage took all its homeland back. Now all my armies stationed there are 'exiled'.

Soldato
Yea, it could definitely do with more fleshing out and stuff added in quite a few places, and that will come with patches and finally DLC (there's already a little 'free' content in line for June iirc). But it's nowhere near the shallow game people are making it out to be imo.

I agree, you've just got to be prepared to dig deeper into things, spend some time reading the tool tips, guides, watching vids etc - I'm enjoying it more the deeper I dig.

Soldato
Been watching Arumbas Youtube series on 'Playing tall with Macedon'. Even if you don't want to play your game 'tall' it still gives a bloody good insight into playing a lot deeper and how things work in relation to each other. I understood a fair bit on my own (like to start off working it out myself) but after watching him, realise there is a massive amount more depth than initially it would seem. Already excited for patches and DLC.

Think I might try focusing a province on one thing, so Capital province will be research, next manpower etc etc

I watched a couple of of those, his min max play style is the exact opposite of how I like to play, which is more role-playing and strategy rather than incredibly fast and efficient world conquering, he's great at what he does but that style has no appeal for me, but some good info in there.

Associate
I'm 25 or so hours into a Macedon run through and it's all getting a little bit stale. It's just war, swallow up a blob. Wait for manpower and AE to go back to normal. War, swallow up another blob, ad infinitum. There is no challenge at all. None of the other mechanics have any sort of meaningful impact on the game as far as I can tell. Don't need to build buildings (apart from strategic forts), don't need to do any pop management, characters are just there to fill jobs, loyalty/prominence/corruption do nothing, diplomacy is really shallow no need for it other than fabricating claims and improving the opinion of vassals to integrate them. On top of that the AI is terrible, especially for war, I can confidently declare war on nations guaranteed or allied with great powers because the AI is too stupid to build boats, and if they do they just put them in one easily manageable stack. The bones of a good game is there but it's not there yet.

Associate
Played a bit more over the weekend, I think I've got my head around the core mechanics of the game now.

The Albania game is going really well at the moment, I had a short moment of panic when Armenia decided to declare war on me as they were roughly twice the size of my country but thankfully Iberia backed me up and we managed to hold them off long enough for their army to get too exhausted. I didn't plan on taking any of Armenia's land until later in the game but for some reason they decided that they screwed up so badly in the war that they chose to give me a chunk of their land as an apology so it turned out to be a very positive war.

Debating on whether to continue eating away at the nations to the west & north of me and work my way towards Rome or to have a break from upsetting all my neighbours and cross the water and start spreading east to give me more targets. If I keep going west I'll eventually have to murder Iberia, but since they've stuck with me since the beginning of my campaign I don't want to screw them over.

@Clav There should be a small 1.0.1 patch sometime this week with a little bit of an AI improvement and then hopefully the 1.1 patch will fix the main issues you're having with the dumb naval AI.
Here's what's been shared about the planned changes in the upcoming 1.1 patch so far:
  • Improving the mechanics for Population Growth, Stability, and Barbarians.
  • Tweaks to Civil War mechanics, with new power-base mechanics.
  • Naval rework, with Naval Combat mechanics and multiple ship types, as well as navigable major rivers.
  • Deeper Holding mechanics for characters, where you can give characters holdings and they can purchase new ones as they grow in wealth.
  • More character interactions.
  • New Piracy mechanics.
  • Redesigning of functionality where instead of spending power for an instant result, you now spend power to nudge it towards that result over time.
  • Better abilities to play tall, including centralising trade, impacting specific cities, etc.
  • Tribes being able to decide what units their retinues should have.
  • Dual Ruler mechanics for Roman Republic, and Consorts for Monarchies.
  • Government Abilities for all government categories.
  • ‘Quality of Life’ features like viewing all characters in a foreign country, new alerts, road building being a continuous action, and more.
  • Adding of features from previous PDS games like moving capitals and regnal numbers on monarchs
  • Much more modding support.

Soldato
Playing as Rome I pretty much echo Clay's thoughts. I wasn't expecting a day 1 challenge anyway, and there's plenty in the pipe-line. I think it's going to end up as a classic Paradox game in the years to come with patches, DLC (it's just the way it is) and mods, because the framework is excellent.

Soldato
That Arumbas video is pretty mad for how much you can min/max to get more from your civ.

I can already see his tactics on pop stacking being hammered sometime soon as it doesn't make sense historically. They'll probably introduce a mechanic around pop balancing for happiness or unrest if you aren't within certain parameters.

Certainly eye opening though.

Soldato
That Arumbas video is pretty mad for how much you can min/max to get more from your civ.

I can already see his tactics on pop stacking being hammered sometime soon as it doesn't make sense historically. They'll probably introduce a mechanic around pop balancing for happiness or unrest if you aren't within certain parameters.

Certainly eye opening though.

Yeah it was interesting, but to be honest after he'd explained how the slave production thing worked, ie 1 being the same as 15, then 16 gives 2 units of production, and he really started min/maxing I didn't want to know any more, his play style is the polar opposite of mine. I don't like the insta-conversion of culture and religion via Oratory? points, I did a few pops then felt dirty and stopped, and put the governer policy on instead.

Associate
I used to enjoy watching Arumba's videos when he was just doing his complex strategies or experimented with tactics to see what would work, but stopped following him somewhere in the middle of last year when he went full-on min/max on everything. I've never been interested in seeing the most powerful options/best tactics to win.

Soldato
I'm the same, some good tips but don't want to abuse it, want to play it least partly historically accurately not just a number sim.

I watched Arumba instead of doing the Tutotrials as he's pretty helpful. Pointing out the button to stop trade offers that removes your capital surplus was the best tip ever! I haven't watched all though as the desire to play is too great.

Does anyone know if there is a way to see your claims highlighted on the map? Playing as Rome gets a bit confusing when you forget what scripted claims have already been given to you.

Associate
Does anyone know if there is a way to see your claims highlighted on the map? Playing as Rome gets a bit confusing when you forget what scripted claims have already been given to you.

If you mean CB's you can see a list of them in your diplomacy screen. Mousing over them will highlight where they are on the map.

Soldato
Is there any way for the world map to be anything other than plain grey? The one in the bottom right I mean? Want an idea of who owns what but can't work out how to manipulate it.

Getting close to a bigger kick off in my Rome game, I've munched up right down the Slavic coast and all there is between myself and Macedon (second highest score and grown huge) is a small state they have guaranteed. Being a little more cautious on my westward expansion and saving gold and manpower in case it does go off.

Someone mentioned it a few pages back but to agree, the auto save in this game is killer slow. Ive got a blinking good PC but the auto saves on ironman take about 10-15 when it freezes us waiting for it to happen. Not sure if it is something they can ever patch or fix but it's end game EU4 made a lot worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't think my ancient PC was struggling with this but it is, I know there's been the stutter bug I thought i'd managed to avoid it but no. Roll on Zen/Navi.

It's a good thing I spend so much time on pause scratching my chin!

:)

Back
Top Bottom