QLED vs OLED

Soldato
since they haven't yet provided a firmware patch for the lg oled, this would push me further towards the panasonic 2018 oled models, better eotf & motion,
but, I don't know if 65" still commands a premium versus lg.

Soldato
Sorry my bad, meant to say the B8 65.

Personally I dont see any point in buying a new series now, I would wait until the black Friday sales if you want the new series. We see reviews already on the C9 and its almost the same as the C8, not worth the £1k premium. B8 65" can be had for £1529 seem a good buy but LG have had some firmware issues as others mentioned.

Associate
That's what I was saying, I was really tempted by the B8 65 at that price but the new 9 range now has HDMI 2.1 and vrr. I tend to keep my TVs for a long time so feel it might be better waiting for sales on the new 9 series.

Caporegime
I’m definitely going for a 9 series, I keep my TV’s for many years, my current TV is a Panasonic Plasma, so getting HDMI 2.1 is important to me.

it's better to buy mid end and buy regularly than buy top end and less often.

it usually works out cheaper or the same.

for example you have been missing out on UHD / 4K for 4+ years now and HDR for 3+ years.

if for example in 3 years time 8k was launched you would be missing out on that for a long time.

Soldato
it's better to buy mid end and buy regularly than buy top end and less often.

it usually works out cheaper or the same.

for example you have been missing out on UHD / 4K for 4+ years now and HDR for 3+ years.

if for example in 3 years time 8k was launched you would be missing out on that for a long time.

8k? Who actually cares for this?

Permabanned
I went with QLED QE55Q8DN. Pretty happy with it. 55 inch is much bigger than I thought, which sounds weird but it's true, glad I didn't get 65. It looks totally different depending on what settings you choose, so you can customise it however you prefer. No black crush, no blooming. Soap opera effect by default, turn it off it's like uncanny valley. 2 remotes, 1 modern 1 old style. Interface is intuitive and responsive, but there is a little room for improvement in responsiveness. Built-in speakers are great, I'm not even considering a soundbar now. Netflix 4K doesn't look as good as it should, I think they need to increase the bitrate (no it isn't limited by my connection before some know-it-all says that). TV Guide is great. No issue with scrolling news tickers that I've seen stutter on some reviews. Colours are vivid. Anti-reflection coating is epic.

Soldato
4k's done soo well in that regard. There's no logical reason why 8k would fair any better with its even higher requirements over 4k
agree

Outside of the cinema it would be interesting to know what percentage of productions are 4k, the BBC have not started commissioning it,
even for products with some international market eg killing eve.
so personally, I'll go 4k/hdr if it becomes available for the productions I watch, or my current tv breaks, otherwise, there is negligible technical tv improvements in picture quality available for watching 1080/720 rec709 material. (unless you are watching tv in the dark with an oled)

I don't know what the premium is for 4k productions, maybe small now, but it would usually be better if they spent the money on writing/actors, perhaps that is the bbc's formula.

We need a statistic on what percentage of the time 4k tv's are displaying 4k material, and, films, versus other material.

Caporegime
Even then, 4k is meh a lot of the time imo.

Depends entirely on how the film is shot i.e. the source, as if it is a poor source, then 4k means nothing.

HDR is far better than resolution.

Soldato
Anyone who likes TV's. It's already been trialled in Japan. It will hopefully also be the nail in the coffin for SD content.

I like TV's and don't agree. 4k is more than enough, it's oled and HDR that have been the noticeable improvements over boggo 1080p not the res increase. If streaming sites just increased the bitrate of 1080 content it wouldn't be so bad, but 4k now is plenty resolution for households.

8k just feels like quantity over quality of pixels.

Soldato
I went with QLED QE55Q8DN. Pretty happy with it. 55 inch is much bigger than I thought, which sounds weird but it's true, glad I didn't get 65. It looks totally different depending on what settings you choose, so you can customise it however you prefer. No black crush, no blooming. Soap opera effect by default, turn it off it's like uncanny valley. 2 remotes, 1 modern 1 old style. Interface is intuitive and responsive, but there is a little room for improvement in responsiveness. Built-in speakers are great, I'm not even considering a soundbar now. Netflix 4K doesn't look as good as it should, I think they need to increase the bitrate (no it isn't limited by my connection before some know-it-all says that). TV Guide is great. No issue with scrolling news tickers that I've seen stutter on some reviews. Colours are vivid. Anti-reflection coating is epic.

That's really good to know! I've literally just paid for a 65Q8DN as it seemed a good compromise between the edge lit Q7 and the FALD equipped Q9. Hope to have it in about a weeks time and I'm looking forward to gaming at 1440p@120hz - if my graphics card can cope.

Soldato
some interesting comments/summary on b8/c8/e8 from medium.com
http://www.google.com/search?q=medium.com+lg+b8+c8+e8&btnG=Search&hl=en-GB&gbv=1
think i had seen it via avforums ... now need to understand the technicalities

Nevertheless, the LG B8 has a different processor from the LG C8 and E8 so some of the picture enhancement options vary. Most notable being the smooth gradation capability since the LG B8 applies a decontouring filter only once whereas the LG C8 and E8 utilize a second-pass as well. This allows them to reduce in-source posterization artifacts more effectively than the LG B8 but also causes more significant obfuscation of fine details (especially in high quality sources) because the second pass of banding removal is accompanied by a second pass of noise reduction in the MPEG Noise Reduction process on the LG C8 and E8. The smooth gradation and noise reduction are also integral on the LG B8 but each filter is used only once.

There are also differences in the Sharpness and Depth Enhancements on the LG C8 and E8 on the one hand, and LG B8 on the other. The former two OLED TVs have Frequency-based Sharpness Enhancer and Object-based Depth Enhancer whereas the LG B8 relies on standard Sharpness Enhancer and Edge-based Depth Enhancer. These variations, however, don’t create any significant gap between LG C8/E8 vs B8, not least because high quality content doesn’t require any additional processing (unless you prefer otherwise.)

The LG C8 and E8 have more extensive color correction capabilities than the LG B8 due to their 33x33x33 Cube LUTs (Look-up Tables) which can store 35,937 color correction entries while the LG B8’s 17x17x17 LUTs contain 4,913 entries. The bigger 3D Cube LUTs on LG E8 and C8 allow not only for more of the 1.07 billion colors they can display to be directly looked-up for correction, but also reduces the amount of color interpolation these two OLED TV have to perform in order to calculate the rest of the colors. In other words, they’re less likely to produce any errors in color calculations than the LG B8 which leads to, for example, the LG E8 and C8 having more accurate colors out-of-the-box. That being said, the factory calibration is very basic, meaning the color accuracy can be further improved by performing your own calibration (or have your TV professionally calibrated), especially considering that all 2018 LG OLED TVs allow the CalMAN software (sold separately) to directly access their 1D and 3D LUTs so that they can be auto-calibrated (colorimeter and pattern generator are also required).

edit - there are some other good articles on their site https://medium.com/@tvevaluate
now reading the newer oled reviews

Last edited:
Associate
some interesting comments/summary on b8/c8/e8 from medium.com
http://www.google.com/search?q=medium.com+lg+b8+c8+e8&btnG=Search&hl=en-GB&gbv=1
think i had seen it via avforums ... now need to understand the technicalities

edit - there are some other good articles on their site https://medium.com/@tvevaluate
now reading the newer oled reviews

Reading those posts just looks like a spec sheet rundown against the two models (C8 vs C9), not much of a case for which one is / would be better. Just because the numbers on one thing are higher than the other, doesn't mean it has been implemented well.

Back
Top Bottom