QLED vs OLED

Soldato
Sky HD box and Nvidia Shield. Not using the tuner.

Ok I let my Q box scale for access to the 4k content and also my Apple TV scales to my Oled all I can comment on is that Netflix / Amazon / Plex from the built in TV apps look very good @1080p. Unfortunately I also don't use the Freeview tuner.

One thing I will point out is that some content even the 4k content through sky no matter what panel you have is poor quality and my oled really highlights that and I believe that will be true on all panel types.

Associate
What would you guys recommend for netflix, plex movies/tv and every now and then hooking upto my gaming pc?
Got about £1000-1200 to spend and would need a 55" because its going on a chimney breast that sticks out in our living room, id love a 65" but it'll look odd.

I dont console game anymore, ive got an acer predator x34a ultrawide on my pc but it would be nice to get a nice 4k panel i could play the odd title on to use 16:9 4k instead of ultrawide 1440p.
Kids and my mrs use our tv for movies and tv but the only thing i really use it for is youtube lol.

Are OLED's the best for gaming?

Soldato
What would you guys recommend for netflix, plex movies/tv and every now and then hooking upto my gaming pc?
Got about £1000-1200 to spend and would need a 55" because its going on a chimney breast that sticks out in our living room, id love a 65" but it'll look odd.

I dont console game anymore, ive got an acer predator x34a ultrawide on my pc but it would be nice to get a nice 4k panel i could play the odd title on to use 16:9 4k instead of ultrawide 1440p.
Kids and my mrs use our tv for movies and tv but the only thing i really use it for is youtube lol.

Are OLED's the best for gaming?

Basically, the XF90 would be the best option in your budget. There's also the LG B8 if you want OLED but that's going to be up to you to do your own assessment of how much you care about burn-in risk, if you're okay with LG's motion etc. Keep those 2 in mind and go to your local TV store and have a look. Ask if they'll let you try out some content on it, have some stuff ready on a USB stick (movie clips, gameplay footage, etc.)

Associate
Tempted to just get the LG 65UK6300PLB 65" for £629.
Really dont know if its worth me going for an OLED for like £1100 for 55" or £1700 for 65" for the amount i actually use the TV.
Instead of putting it on the wall just put it on the TV stand in front and let it overhang.

Soldato
Only you know if you could live with a TV hanging over the edge of the fireplace, it'll look odd as you say. You could opt for some cheapo TV as you say, but I would wait and buy better. However, some people dont even notice the problems with some TV tech, others it drives them crazy... I would always go for the better TV.

Associate
Only you know if you could live with a TV hanging over the edge of the fireplace, it'll look odd as you say. You could opt for some cheapo TV as you say, but I would wait and buy better. However, some people dont even notice the problems with some TV tech, others it drives them crazy... I would always go for the better TV.

I am quite a tech geek, im really obsessive with my pc monitor having a good refresh rate etc, but i got the cheapest 49" LG 4k LCD tv for my bedroom and its spot on, looks miles better than my Sony W series 52" from 2008 so end up watching most of my content in bed now.
I keep putting off replacing the Sony, its had a line of dead pixels down the side for nearly 6 year now lol.
Just dont know whether to just pick the cheap one up and call that it, for the amount i actually use the tv seems a waste, but i like having the best of everything lol

Caporegime
I’m having big doubts about getting an OLED now. It’s a big purchase for me. I watch a lot of sports and news channels for a long time. I’m just too terrified of burn in. Such a shame because the picture is obviously the best, but I wouldn’t want to ruin a thousand pounds worth of telly after a few months.

Soldato
I’m having big doubts about getting an OLED now. It’s a big purchase for me. I watch a lot of sports and news channels for a long time. I’m just too terrified of burn in. Such a shame because the picture is obviously the best, but I wouldn’t want to ruin a thousand pounds worth of telly after a few months.

Yup. Got into Gwent (video card game) quite a lot this past week and at one point I was looking at the cards (the hand of cards is basically there all the time) and thinking "man, I'm glad I don't have to worry about these burning in" and just played on. If I had an OLED I'd have had to really worry about it - and then what? Adjust my usage based on the TV instead of the other way around? Meh.

Tbh though, the B7s dropped a lot during sales, it wouldn't be too extreme to have just that for movies & then a more mid-range option for everything else (e.g. XF90) rather than go for a single super premium TV (AF9, Q900 etc). In my case anyway I barely watch a movie a week so not worth it, especially since even then it's only rarely that there's a really challenging dark movie where an OLED would really shine.

Caporegime
Yup. Got into Gwent (video card game) quite a lot this past week and at one point I was looking at the cards (the hand of cards is basically there all the time) and thinking "man, I'm glad I don't have to worry about these burning in" and just played on. If I had an OLED I'd have had to really worry about it - and then what? Adjust my usage based on the TV instead of the other way around? Meh.

Tbh though, the B7s dropped a lot during sales, it wouldn't be too extreme to have just that for movies & then a more mid-range option for everything else (e.g. XF90) rather than go for a single super premium TV (AF9, Q900 etc). In my case anyway I barely watch a movie a week so not worth it, especially since even then it's only rarely that there's a really challenging dark movie where an OLED would really shine.
I mean, I’m at home all day due to ill health. Most days from about 9am till 6pm, I have sky news or sky sports news on. I only actually watch other telly and movies late at night. So that’s 9 hours a day of constant logos. I just think that’s gonna be too much for OLED in its current form. What do you think?

I also like watching nature stuff like Blue Planet and Planet Earth. I was kind of thinking the extra vividness of QLED might be an advantage there.

Soldato
I mean, I’m at home all day due to ill health. Most days from about 9am till 6pm, I have sky news or sky sports news on. I only actually watch other telly and movies late at night. So that’s 9 hours a day of constant logos. I just think that’s gonna be too much for OLED in its current form. What do you think?

I also like watching nature stuff like Blue Planet and Planet Earth. I was kind of thinking the extra vividness of QLED might be an advantage there.

Personally I'd choose LED in that scenario, especially if you want to keep it for longer than 2-3 years. The more you use the TV and the longer you keep it for the higher the likelihood the pixels will burn-out because it is based on cumulative use. In fact with that usage I wouldn't be surprised to see it occur within 2 years.

Soldato

Yeah with your viewing habits I would also go for an led as you would most likely burn in after about 3 years @9 hours a day is just under 10000 hours

Permabanned
Same. And then I look at LED and they all have weird blooming or viewing angle problems, so I don't really want those over my current TV either.
Might end up waiting for Micro-LED at this rate.

Soldato
Same. And then I look at LED and they all have weird blooming or viewing angle problems, so I don't really want those over my current TV either.
Might end up waiting for Micro-LED at this rate.

Don't worry, you'll make trade offs with those too. For example the issue with seams. But still 3+ years away until consumer availability exists, and that's my hyper optimistic projection.
samsung-microled-1.png

Soldato
the final vincent video from ces was where he interviewed the company providing the real emissive qled organic technology to Samsung (their return?) ....
but with u-led, you're probably going to see that at >65" first, so you need the room-space/desire to accomodate that monolith.

Soldato
Yeah, the advancements they are making with QLED tech has me more excited than anything else shown (because it looks actually feasible and not just hype), but also 2-3 years away. More immediately my attention is all on the miniLED TV from TCL & Hisense's ULED XD. Will have to see it in person to judge.

Soldato
Following the new Samsung Q and sony xg reviews about led VA wide viewing angle technology, they seem to be anticipating, that with big screens, if you do sit close, the quality/contrast at the edges will be impacted ... 10' from a 75" you're at 30degrees from the edge,
newer 2019 q9 (right) is >> better than predecessor ... courtesy of rtings

47598855771_f38a2bb64e_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Yeah, the viewing angles start being a problem >55'' even just sitting in front. I feel like I'm at the limit as it is. ~1.6m away from the TV.

Associate
I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on an LGB7 65" as usual plenty of folk saying wait for the E9 for hdmi2.1 and vrr. In real world terms is there going to really going to be a massive difference, especially when you consider the price difference?

Back
Top Bottom