QLED vs OLED

Permabanned
I smell BS.

I know OLED is great for contrast and blacks. But LCD especially FALD's with LED backlighting have come a long way.

I'm not talking about a £500 tv, my mate for example has a £3000 Sony LCD which is FALD with LED backlightinf over 1500 zones. And I would say it's on par with an OLED probably better when it comes to HDR and worse when it comes to absolute blacks but in a brightly lit room which most people use the FALD is better.

Would have to be in an incredibly bright room with direct sunlight. Far above average or store showroom type lighting.

95% or higher environments, an OLED wins.

My living room gets a lot of sunlight and OLED still better.

Although does depend on the OLED. I’m talking LG. I found the latest Sony OLEDs to be very dark, unwatchable almost, even with the lighting settings cranked up.

Philips are equivalent brightness to LG.

Caporegime
Would have to be in an incredibly bright room with direct sunlight. Far above average or store showroom type lighting.

95% or higher environments, an OLED wins.

My living room gets a lot of sunlight and OLED still better.

Although does depend on the OLED. I’m talking LG. I found the latest Sony OLEDs to be very dark, unwatchable almost, even with the lighting settings cranked up.

Philips are equivalent brightness to LG.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

Best for HDR gaming in a bright room is not an OLED

Don't get me wrong here. I think OLED's are amazing but it depends highly on your usage and your budget. If I wasn't gaming solely on the FALD tv I bought recently and I was buying for the bedroom than I would get an OLED. But the fact is the difference between OLED and FALD isn't as big as it was between plasma and LCD.

a 77" OLED is £5.5K you can get just as good a FALD tv for £2K. or even an 8K tv for less

OLED's are good but to say they beat every tv at everything is wrong. they are still too expensive for the difference in quality to a good FALD.

Permabanned
I meant the brightness of the room would have to be extremely bright for the non-OLED to win. Which is rare, even in a bright home. It would have to be exceptionally unusually bright for the non-OLED to win.

For gaming though, non-OLED does win, but only due to image retention issues.

I’ve owned a number of both types of technology, including recent Samsung and my current living space is above average brightness.

Caporegime
What’s FALD?

Cheap TVs are edge lit. Usually at the bottom edge only but sometimes top edge too.

So let's say there is a scene with bright light at the top right but rest of scene is dark. In order to light that part up the leds at the bottom right need to be turned up a notch which bleeds across the whole screen.

With FALD you have the whole screen split into zones. So only the zones which need bright light or colours get turned up. This means black bars and dark parts stay dark and only the bit which needs the brightness gets turned up.

However in scenes like Gravity where it is mainly dark and stars which need lit up even a FALD TV can have noticeable bleeding if it doesn't have enough zones.

The FALD TV I have has around 50 zones and its regarded as one of the top 3 TVs to buy in 2018 in terms of value for money. The other 2 being an LG oled and a edge lit TV NU8000.

However my mate at work has a FALD with over 1500 zones from the same company (Sony) and it is 75" he bought it when it was reduced from £3500 to £1900 when it went EOL.

I've seen his in action and before I saw it before my eyes I didn't believe LCD could compete with an OLED. The oled is still better overall but the gap isn't as big as people make it out to be.

If you dont game much or at all and are looking for a 55 or 65 inch screen get an oled. However if you want to spend less or want a bigger screen then FALD will be the one to go for.

I got mine in a sale 55" for £999 the 65" is now £1299 I wish I had waited another 4 months and gotten that but it's for the games room so no big deal as a 65" would dominate the room especially as I only sit a metre or so away.

OLED also has drawbacks when it comes to screen size. As in if you want a 43" TV you cannot buy an oled. They are only made by 1 manufacturer LG who sell panels to others who make their own electronics for them. Same as cars like the new Mercedes has a Peugeot engine in it. So Sony, Panasonic, Phillip's etc oleds are all LG panels. That is why they are so expensive 1 manufacturer.

I'm waiting for a 55" 4k hdr oled available for around £1k next year around January before I buy an oled for the bedroom.

Soldato
Cheap TVs are edge lit. Usually at the bottom edge only but sometimes top edge too.

So let's say there is a scene with bright light at the top right but rest of scene is dark. In order to light that part up the leds at the bottom right need to be turned up a notch which bleeds across the whole screen.

With FALD you have the whole screen split into zones. So only the zones which need bright light or colours get turned up. This means black bars and dark parts stay dark and only the bit which needs the brightness gets turned up.

However in scenes like Gravity where it is mainly dark and stars which need lit up even a FALD TV can have noticeable bleeding if it doesn't have enough zones.

The FALD TV I have has around 50 zones and its regarded as one of the top 3 TVs to buy in 2018 in terms of value for money. The other 2 being an LG oled and a edge lit TV NU8000.

However my mate at work has a FALD with over 1500 zones from the same company (Sony) and it is 75" he bought it when it was reduced from £3500 to £1900 when it went EOL.

I've seen his in action and before I saw it before my eyes I didn't believe LCD could compete with an OLED. The oled is still better overall but the gap isn't as big as people make it out to be.

If you dont game much or at all and are looking for a 55 or 65 inch screen get an oled. However if you want to spend less or want a bigger screen then FALD will be the one to go for.

I got mine in a sale 55" for £999 the 65" is now £1299 I wish I had waited another 4 months and gotten that but it's for the games room so no big deal as a 65" would dominate the room especially as I only sit a metre or so away.

OLED also has drawbacks when it comes to screen size. As in if you want a 43" TV you cannot buy an oled. They are only made by 1 manufacturer LG who sell panels to others who make their own electronics for them. Same as cars like the new Mercedes has a Peugeot engine in it. So Sony, Panasonic, Phillip's etc oleds are all LG panels. That is why they are so expensive 1 manufacturer.

I'm waiting for a 55" 4k hdr oled available for around £1k next year around January before I buy an oled for the bedroom.
No Sony 75” FALD ever had over 1500 zones, the Sony 75ZD9 has just over 800 zones and is considered the best LCD ever made had the most zones of any tv available to buy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UECcjZrRtWA

Associate
just sell it on gumtree. it's what i did when i wanted to upgrade my last tv. i got £320 for it and i paid £450 for it 2 years previously. was a top of the range sony 55 inch W809C. I then got a 55" XF90 (Sony) for £999. I will keep this one though until it dies 8K isn't coming any time soon.

It's got a line of dead pixels down the left side, about 1cm from the edge so dont think it'll be worth much

Soldato
What’s FALD?

Full array local dimming it's backlit by zones (square areas split across the rear of the panel) the more areas the less bleed, however bloom is still an issue within these zones and transient blooming on low zone TVs is also an issue for example car headlights on a dark scene moving across the panel also causes a very slight slow strobe effect.

Another thing to consider with a FALD TV is that the panel is quite thick.

Back
Top Bottom