• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
The teeny-tiny fan pointing at the VRM on my Aorus board doesn't make much, if any noise. It's only 25-30mm if even that. It's well buried in the machine, inside a quiet case.

Soldato
Isn't Zen 1 the first real mainstream 8C chip so only 2017?

What about the FX chips?

Yeah, I mentioned that a few pages back in the initial "TrixX gone mad" post (consumer level 8 core CPU's from 2011) but it looks like people either aren't old enough to remember them, or just don't know their CPU histories and have forgotten them.

Soldato
It has active cooling for the chipset. I hope this doesn't mean we have no X570 mini-ITX boards,or the chipset can overheat on these!
Mini ITX physically doesn't have the space to cram in all the devices that would connect up to that PCH. You'd get PCIe 4 on the single 16x slot coming off the CPU and a maximum of 2 NVMe drives running full speed off the chipset. Really doubt you'd need active cooling for that.

Soldato
I'm buzzing. I hope Lisa shows a game demo (vs Intel) at computex and not just synthetics.
The only game demo that will be of any realistic use will be something esports, so 1080p at 240fps. That's really the only place where Intel has a sizeable performance advantage, so if Ryzen 3000 can be shown to close or eliminate that gap then we're onto a winner and make logical assumptions that other performance deficits (minimum fps for instance) will also be rectified.

Associate

To be fair, I was quoting a guy who gets on the Kingdom Come Deliverance thread without actually looking at benchies myself. Not exactly eating up an 8 core there, I agree, however from my own testing in MSI afterburner and as the guy posted underneath it does utilize whatever is there. On my ancient CPU mine struggles like **** and utilization gets up to 100% load when streaming assets, even with 8 threads but that's probably down to more IPC deficiency on my CPU than anything else. I guess a quick quad core with HT would be OK. But there's no getting around the fact the game DOES need HT, i.e. 8 threads in order to keep frames up.

Permabanned
The newest run is significantly worse than the 3 month old one though. Online tests like these are so fuzzy, it's really hard to get any hard numbers, or even vague ones sometimes.

No, the entries are 2602 as of right now and they do show approximately equal results with different clocks, ranging from turbo 5GHz (which I don't know if is reported correctly) to as low as 3.7GHz. Again 2000-2100 points in the multi-core subset.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-Ryzen-TR-1920X/Rating/3934

Probably it has something to do with how the XFR kicks in, so you can never say the correct frequency.

Soldato
It has active cooling for the chipset. I hope this doesn't mean we have no X570 mini-ITX boards,or the chipset can overheat on these!

More than one X570 mini-ITX board would be an improvement from last gen, I've not looked recently but wasn't there only like one X470 mini-ITX board?

In an ideal world I'd like the chipset fan to be temperature controlled, maybe even with the ability to set a custom fan profile, that way it can remain switched off unless things get toasty.

Soldato
No, the entries are 2602 as of right now and they do show approximately equal results with different clocks, ranging from turbo 5GHz (which I don't know if is reported correctly) to as low as 3.7GHz. Again 2000-2100 points in the multi-core subset.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-Ryzen-TR-1920X/Rating/3934

Probably it has something to do with how the XFR kicks in, so you can never say the correct frequency.
What? I'm talking about the engineering sample. Obviously an actually released CPU has far more than 3 runs posted...

Permabanned
Active cooling is a good sign in general about the capabilities of the motherboards and it's worked in the direction to offer more features/performance.
I like that chipset fan and hope will see it everywhere. Noise is not a problem.

Soldato
That PCH fan at least looks like it might provide some airflow to the m.2 slots as well.

I wonder if PCIe gen 4 will not be possible on older boards because the additional heat can't be dissipated with a passive heatsink.

Soldato
Really hoping for a Micro ATX X570 board as nobody seems to have made any Micro ATX X470 ones
Aye. There were a few for X370, but everything after was B450. Never saw the point in X470 for ITX boards though, so it's a weird one.

Hopefully the increased confidence in Ryzen as a platform will see mobo makers get all form factors covered.

Soldato
I wonder if PCIe gen 4 will not be possible on older boards because the additional heat can't be dissipated with a passive heatsink.
PCIe 4 signals need better copper traces and signal repeaters over a certain length from what I remember. So you can conceivably make the closest PCIe slot to the CPU PCIe 4 capable (less than 7 inches away), but couldn't run those signals down the length of the board to other areas like M.2 slots.

It looks like this is why the PCH has the bulk of PCIe 4 lanes coming off it so there's no need for repeaters and such to drive the M.2 slots close by, leaving the CPU to worry about the PCIe slots and all the signal-boosting tomfoolery.

Soldato
Active cooling is a good sign in general about the capabilities of the motherboards and it's worked in the direction to offer more features/performance.
I like that chipset fan and hope will see it everywhere. Noise is not a problem.
Em... Not for you it's not. You don't speak for everyone. Why on earth would you WANT a component to get so hot it needs active cooling rather than run cooler and not require a fan? That's just ridiculous.
I've had chipset fans in the past and I can tell you they are audible when running.

Associate
Em... Not for you it's not. You don't speak for everyone. Why on earth would you WANT a component to get so hot it needs active cooling rather than run cooler and not require a fan? That's just ridiculous.
I've had chipset fans in the past and I can tell you they are audible when running.
By the time I get around to upgrading, the current Ryzen platform should have the chipset fabbed at 7nm hopefully so this won't still be an issue.
Not a fan of, well any fan that I can hear and the smaller ones tend to whine.

Soldato
By the time I get around to upgrading, the current Ryzen platform should have the chipset fabbed at 7nm hopefully so this won't still be an issue.
Not a fan of, well any fan that I can hear and the smaller ones tend to whine.
Agree. The smaller the fan the worse they are for sure. It's a horrible noise to push bugger all air. Im hoping good case fans will make these chipset fans redundant. They will of course be on there for the worst possible situation of zero airflow and very hot case internals.

Back
Top Bottom