• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
I must have been really lucky with my AlphaCool block then. While gaming I'm seeing a max GPU temp of 45 and a max tJunction of 70. That's with my card running at 2000 core using 1150mv.

That doesn't excuse the above pictures and others experiences on here though.

Associate
My Alphacool Eisbaer runs perfectly stable in games at 1200mv, 2030MHz, 1130 memory. Temps ate 45 and 85 in games (up to 95 junction in stress tests).
I have fan curve connected to junction temperature.

Last edited:
Associate
I ended up returning the Alphacool block as i wanted to use the rgb and ordered a Bykski which I pick up tomorrow. Will finally get a chance to see what my gpu can do!

Soldato
Maybe its your PSU ?

Nah I've tested the PSU with a 2080 Ti, Titan Xp and even an older 295X2, All fine, The current Radeon 7 seems to be ok in most things but using the built in ReLive recording software causes a system lockup and driver crash, It recovers a few seconds later but it's hella annoying.

EDIT

Spoke too soon, This Radeon 7 does the same the others did, Upon reaching 110'c Junction temp a game crashes, Driver crashes and then recovers, There are no overclocks or undervolts, Just default driver settings, Going back to Nvidia for the time being as this is clearly a rushed product and the driver team haven't a clue how to work with this card apparently.

Last edited:
Associate
Nah I've tested the PSU with a 2080 Ti, Titan Xp and even an older 295X2, All fine, The current Radeon 7 seems to be ok in most things but using the built in ReLive recording software causes a system lockup and driver crash, It recovers a few seconds later but it's hella annoying.

EDIT

Spoke too soon, This Radeon 7 does the same the others did, Upon reaching 110'c Junction temp a game crashes, Driver crashes and then recovers, There are no overclocks or undervolts, Just default driver settings, Going back to Nvidia for the time being as this is clearly a rushed product and the driver team haven't a clue how to work with this card apparently.

Since this isn't a widely reported problem, and you have had several in a row, it's quite likely it's your setup causing the issue, whether it be hardware (PSU / mobo) or software.

Soldato

EDIT

Hey there, my first radeon 7 that i bought on launch day did exactly this, which company was each of these cards?
Also have you tried them in a different rig, just in case?
Also Also, what are the stock mvolts of these cards?
My first was a sapphire and was poo like yours, then my second was an asrock and is amazing

Soldato
Since this isn't a widely reported problem, and you have had several in a row, it's quite likely it's your setup causing the issue, whether it be hardware (PSU / mobo) or software.

Nope, As I stated I've tested a 295X2 which draws a lot more power and also a 2080 Ti, Both perfectly stable, I did also test them in a different rig with the exact same results.

The really weird thing is I can run Valley at 4K max settings 8xMSAA for hours on end no problem at 100% GPU usage and junction temp gets to 110'c and core temp to 77'c but it stays stable, Same thing with Firestrike, Heaven etc... Very weird case.

Hey there, my first radeon 7 that i bought on launch day did exactly this, which company was each of these cards?
Also have you tried them in a different rig, just in case?
Also Also, what are the stock mvolts of these cards?
My first was a sapphire and was poo like yours, then my second was an asrock and is amazing

It's an MSI, Stock volts are 1082 and yes I did try them all in a different rig as well as my own, Just really weird situation.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys, I was hoping some of you might know what to do.
I recently installed a water block on my Radeon VII. After installing it, I started playing with power mods and such.
After applying a power mod of 1300mv to the core, I have had extreme stability issues at stock settings ever since. I have even tried reinstalling Windows and also attempted running benchmarks in Linux.
Right now the only stable setting for my card seems to be 1750mhz@1125mv (which is crazy high voltage).
Have I fried my card with too much voltage? Is there anything I can do?

I appreciate any help regarding this stupid mistake of mine..

Associate
Unfortunately it's likely you have damaged the GPU with excessive power. 1300mv is very high, what temperatures were you getting at that voltage?

About 105-110 junction temperature. Pretty decent edge temperatures though, around 60 I think.
The weird thing is I only ran it for about 5 or 10 minutes at that voltage.

Associate
About 105-110 junction temperature. Pretty decent edge temperatures though, around 60 I think.
The weird thing is I only ran it for about 5 or 10 minutes at that voltage.

5 or 10 mins at to higher voltage can well do damage, 2 sec's at to high voltage can be just as lethal to any component and GPU's are no different. as you have re installed windows and original drivers you knew were fine before, and it has only happened since the power mod registry hacks
then I would have to agree the GPU is damaged, most likely the reason AMD don't allow those kind of voltages straight out of the Box. I think the disclaimer on the power mod page would say at your own risk!

Sorry bud, I think you have damaged the GPU.

Associate
5 or 10 mins at to higher voltage can well do damage, 2 sec's at to high voltage can be just as lethal to any component and GPU's are no different. as you have re installed windows and original drivers you knew were fine before, and it has only happened since the power mod registry hacks
then I would have to agree the GPU is damaged, most likely the reason AMD don't allow those kind of voltages straight out of the Box. I think the disclaimer on the power mod page would say at your own risk!

It is sounding likely, I've gone the other way with my card. I had a number in my head I wanted to use very early on with 7nm. 1000-1020mv. My sweet spot settings have fallen at 1900mhz @ 1000mv, 1140Mhz HBM. +0 power.
I'd just try a wattman default and if its no longer stable its surely severely derogated due to the excess voltage. 1300mv is LN2 only, just 50mv on these 7nm packages make quite a difference and heat transfer becomes an issue very quickly. I saw this going from 14nm (1700) to 12nm (2700X) even this small change sees heat becoming an issue beyond a said voltage.

Associate

That does seem to be the case, yeah.
Do you think a reflash of the bios could help? Is there even such a tool available for the VII yet?
I couldn't find anything promising on google.

At the very least I can reliably run it at 1750mhz and VRAM at 1150mhz, which is still pretty good for gaming.
Thanks for the response guys!

Associate
It is sounding likely, I've gone the other way with my card. I had a number in my head I wanted to use very early on with 7nm. 1000-1020mv. My sweet spot settings have fallen at 1900mhz @ 1000mv, 1140Mhz HBM. +0 power.
I'd just try a wattman default and if its no longer stable its surely severely derogated due to the excess voltage. 1300mv is LN2 only, just 50mv on these 7nm packages make quite a difference and heat transfer becomes an issue very quickly. I saw this going from 14nm (1700) to 12nm (2700X) even this small change sees heat becoming an issue beyond a said voltage.

That's a crazy good sweet spot. I immediately crashed if I moved below 1025mv@1800mhz, even before I started tinkering with power mods.
It sucks that there's such a huge variance in silicon quality on these cards.

Back
Top Bottom