Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Soldato
Watched Ep 02 last night and agree with most, on how well it's done.

Not sure what the problem is over the British accents, as any attempt at Ukrainian accents would just be met with equal criticism. I assume Ukranian actors would have their pronunciation of English ripped into just as if they spoke Ukranian over subtitles?
Can't please everyone.

What I do find amusing is how the wife cannot pronounce Prypiat, though. She keeps calling it Pretty-Pat!!

I wouldn't want Ukraine actors speaking English. I'd happily accept the series fully subtitled but i'm used to the English speakers after episode 2. It works well enough.

Soldato
Typical top banana stuff. Love these miniseries from HBO. Last one I watched was The Night Of but that was a couple of years ago now.

That was fantastic! I loved that.

I watched the first episode last night. It was decent but not too much happened. Shocked by how in denial they were! Looking forward to watching more tonight. It feels quite low budget for HBO, or is that just me?

Soldato
Just watched the first 2 episodes and OMG, so tense watching, absolutely 10/10. Haven't been this excited for a very long time. So looking forward to the next 3 episodes. It's crazy to see what radiation does and how quickly it can kill and what sort of disaster this could have been for the Europe.

Associate
Absolutely love this so far and surprisingly enough, so does my wife.. :eek:

A tad off topic, but can anyone recommend other shows with a similar atmosphere/tone?

Caporegime
Wow what an end to the 2nd episode. That was absolutely immense.

Can’t wait for the next episode but what a heartbreaking story. The amount of wilful ignorance and not taking advice by the leaders was simply mind boggling.

Soldato
Glad I finally watched ep2 and can venture into this thread. What great TV.

A tad off topic, but can anyone recommend other shows with a similar atmosphere/tone?
As mentioned above The Night Of is pretty damn good and very dark, slow (in a good way).

The amount of wilful ignorance and not taking advice by the leaders was simply mind boggling.
Terrible isn't it. It's almost comical when they are talking about stuff; the amount of bureaucracy and 'deputy secretary to the blah blah' and 'second chairman' etc. and no one wanting to speak out of turn.

Man of Honour
That was fantastic! I loved that.

I watched the first episode last night. It was decent but not too much happened. Shocked by how in denial they were! Looking forward to watching more tonight. It feels quite low budget for HBO, or is that just me?
I suppose there's not really a lot that they needed to spend money on, it's not a series that needs any real fancy special effects or anything.

Soldato
I suppose there's not really a lot that they needed to spend money on, it's not a series that needs any real fancy special effects or anything.
Oh I agree but even compared to things like Night Of, The Wire and Sopranos it feels a bit light on the money.

Not an issue though, enjoying it! Is the third episode out today?

Back
Top Bottom