• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Though if the specs are true, is around 30% faster. Do you want me to have a look on your previous posts supporting Intel & Nvidia pricing?

GO ahead, if you think you'll find a single price where I don't tear Intel and particularly Nvidia a new one for their pricing, you'll be extremely disappointed, like, hilariously.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Your hardly comparing retail release prices are you? They are coming out within reason at the same release price point with the performance improvements.

Not sure why you'd expect them to match the current sales prices of the existing range rather than the RRP.

They shouldn't match them, they should TRASH them. That's the point. New nodes enable vastly lower prices for the same performance level and bring new performance levels. Matching prices would be bad, increasing them is terrible.

Soldato
Not sure it's been mentioned yet but the X570 chipset isn't compatible with Ryzen 1000 series CPUs, according to AMD's website. Probably something to do with not having enough storage space for all the microcode variants needed, but a bit annoying if anyone wanted to get an X570 with say a super cheap R5 1600 while waiting for 16c/32t parts.

Permabanned
What's underwhelming is you can buy a 8 core 16 thread CPU from AMD today for what ~£200 today. We're moving to 7nm, double the transistor density, 8 core/16 thread should be dropping in cost. 7nm costs more per mm^2, but we're still talking about a fairly significantly smaller amount of actual 7nm die and a much cheaper than it was then 14nm die. Frankly they could be, and should be imo offering the 12core chips at current 8 core pricing, and offering 16 core stuff at higher prices.

Going from a £200 2700 8core 16 thread chip to a £300 8 core 16 thread chip when the production cost is significantly lower is incredibly underwhelming and exceptionally disappointing.

I fully intend to upgrade to Zen and had waited for Zen 2, but I was hoping for a very reasonably priced 12 core as we currently have reasonably priced 8 cores. Going from very reasonably priced 8 cores to significantly more expensive 8 cores is not imo good, for a node drop.

This is a very 'intel' move, using a node for increasing margins over offering just drastically better performance. Cheaper chips per core = higher volume sales, stealing shedloads of market share and generally causing many people to switch.

Intel will drop prices to match AMD and now it will end up being 8 core 16 thread Intel vs AMD at about the same price. With Intel name recognition that isn't going to convince huge amounts of people to switch to AMD. Personally I think pricing is terrible and isn't built to take advantage of the next year. AMD should be dominating, absolutely slaying Intel the next year. Make everyone take them seriously, have Intel become the joke company offering half the cores at double the power and without any security and a year of that and Intel's name will have taken a huge hit.

Agreed, especially that last paragraph. Surprised such came from you.

Soldato
Have I just entered the Twilight Zone?

Cheers, @orbitalwalsh, - for a bank holiday I'm having an insanely busy day. Will look in more detail later.

Overall release unsurprising: I'm with @tamzzy re pricing and @HeX makes valid points. (can't quote more posts on phone)

hahaha, brill.

is he not forgetting the launch price of 1800x ? sure that hit £450/500 ?

and about time from AMD, need to make more profit to keep momentum

Soldato
Not sure it's been mentioned yet but the X570 chipset isn't compatible with Ryzen 1000 series CPUs, according to AMD's website. Probably something to do with not having enough storage space for all the microcode variants needed, but a bit annoying if anyone wanted to get an X570 with say a super cheap R5 1600 while waiting for 16c/32t parts.

2600 is super cheap. And raven ridge is not supported on 570.

Soldato

aye, the space on the bios chip

Soldato
Great post.

This is exactly what is/will happen and is exactly what AMD fans said they wouldn't do, because "AMD need to retake market share".

AMD always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
I disagree. AMD now or soon will have superior products. They can gain both market share and hugely increased profits at the same time. If they're expecting a good few years (not months) then they have the opportunity to increase profits massively too.
AMD's cheaply cheaply approach hasn't always worked in the past. Fine if the products are inferior.

Soldato
I don't think it really matters. People wanted Intel beating 16 core CPUs for $300. I don't know why everyone rides the hype trains on AMD launches.

Navi will be the same, objectively good for the money but not what people have hyped themselves up for.

I agree entirely.

I am more interested to see if the core improvements have reduced the single threaded performance difference with the higher end Intel CPUs.

Caporegime
I think it's really clear who the real fanboys are in this thread. Those Intel fans that think AMD haven't absolutely crushed Intel in both server and consumer markets for the next 2 years are absolutely deluded. Watch Linus's latest video if you need help understanding.

Caporegime
I think it's really clear who the real fanboys are in this thread. Those Intel fans that think AMD haven't absolutely crushed Intel in both server and consumer markets for the next 2 years are absolutely deluded. Watch Linus's latest video if you need help understanding.

Does that include people with AMD systems in their signatures

Pwned again :D

Caporegime
Hahaha and you call yourself a neutral. Too funny.

At these prices AMD haven't crushed anything. They could have; they chose to push prices up instead, and now will have decreased sales (ie from people like me who won't buy until prices come down a LOT) as a consequence.

Soldato

Interestingly I have quite a few people on ignore and as soon as this information dropped from AMD and loads of the posts in this thread are hidden. I wonder why? ;)

Caporegime
Does that include people with AMD systems in their signatures

Pwned again :D
No it doesn't include those people.

Hahaha and you call yourself a neutral. Too funny.

At these prices AMD haven't crushed anything. They could have; they chose to push prices up instead, and now will have decreased sales (ie from people like me who won't buy until prices come down a LOT) as a consequence.

I am. I have (and like very much) a 4690K. 'At these prices' is the pertinent point. Read up on product life cycles and market skimming. AMD have left themselves room to manoeuvre.

Interestingly I have quite a few people on ignore and as soon as this information dropped from AMD and loads of the posts in this thread are hidden. I wonder why? ;)

I wouldn't bother ignoring people on this forum. It's too much fun reading the dross from the likes of easyrider!

Back
Top Bottom