• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Hahaha and you call yourself a neutral. Too funny.

At these prices AMD haven't crushed anything. They could have; they chose to push prices up instead, and now will have decreased sales (ie from people like me who won't buy until prices come down a LOT) as a consequence.

I bought a 2600 as a stop gap chip and tbh...after some thought I’m not sure I cba to upgrade to 3800x for £399

The 3900x is £499 and tbh I don’t encode very often...

ljt

ljt

Soldato
When is the review embargo lifted?

Nothing really excited me about this release to even contemplate pre-ordering so I'll need cold hard facts before I make my decision. I know i'm edging closer and closer now to dropping PC altogether.

There better be a significant improvement in performance as we've had 6c/12t CPU's at about $250 and 8c/16t CPU's at $330 for over 2 years now, 3rd gen and we are still at that point. progress is slow.

Caporegime
No it doesn't include those people.
Oh great. I don't have a sig, but if I did, it probably wouldn't show the following:

Last 3 GPUs - AMD
Last 3 CPUs - AMD, AMD, Intel.

In fact I've only had two Intel CPUs in my entire life. A 486 SX 25 and this 2500k.

And I'm an Intel shill, according to some here.

That's because I rip into all the companies when they deserve it, and the actual, real "fanboys" can't stomach to see their favourite companies insulted.

Caporegime
When is the review embargo lifted?

Nothing really excited me about this release to even contemplate pre-ordering so I'll need cold hard facts before I make my decision. I know i'm edging closer and closer now to dropping PC altogether.

There better be a significant improvement in performance as we've had 6c/12t CPU's at about $250 and 8c/16t CPU's at $330 for over 2 years now, 3rd gen and we are still at that point. progress is slow.

Certainly makes the 2700 Ryzen appealing if you can get one for £200

Soldato
They shouldn't match them, they should TRASH them. That's the point. New nodes enable vastly lower prices for the same performance level and bring new performance levels. Matching prices would be bad, increasing them is terrible.

They are doing that. They are releasing at the same retail price point for the increased performance. You can't complain because there are excellent deals on the previous gen. And you can't expect Amd to match that lower price point at release.

No other company does that for their products why would Amd do that for a new CPU release.

Caporegime
At every segment AMD have a significantly faster CPU for significantly less money and power consumption than Intel, yet people are still saying it's a bad release because they didn't get their dream world charity pricing. Bizarre.

Man of Honour
Overall release unsurprising: I'm with @tamzzy re pricing
i suspect, outside of the 5 chips that amd has allocated to be sold at rrp, that the 3800x will have price parity or thereabouts with the 9900k at launch.
all the amd fangirls who claim otherwise are still just as deluded as before the announcement.
tsmc want their share of the pie, amd wants their share, etailers also want their share.
(of course i'll be happy to stand corrected...we'll see)

Caporegime
i suspect, outside of the 5 chips that amd has allocated to be sold at rrp, that the 3800x will have price parity with the 9900k at launch.
all the amd fangirls who claim otherwise are still just as deluded as before the announcement.
tsmc want their share of the pie, amd wants their share, etailers also want their share.
(of course i'll be happy to stand corrected...we'll see)
And distributors. There's a long value chain in this market. Still people want the world for nothing. Human nature I guess.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I bought a 2600 as a stop gap chip and tbh...after some thought I’m not sure I cba to upgrade to 3800x for £399

The 3900x is £499 and tbh I don’t encode very often...

Not sure I'll bother moving from my 2700X yet, only thing that would swing it is if PCI-E 4.0 compatibility is added to my X370 and NAVI has an appreciable performance difference when using it.

Hahaha and you call yourself a neutral. Too funny.

At these prices AMD haven't crushed anything. They could have; they chose to push prices up instead, and now will have decreased sales (ie from people like me who won't buy until prices come down a LOT) as a consequence.
I suspect you're missing something here. There will likely be limited volumes available early doors, and I'd bet there'll be enough demand for them all to be sold at these inflated prices fairly swiftly.
They also don't lose your custom since you clearly indicate that you'll buy when the prices do drop, which Ryzen CPUs have a clear trend for.
IMO, AMD have taken the decision that maximising their income is best served by selling to people like yourself in that second wave, perhaps when a 16c CPU appears and forces lower prices down the stack.
I don't personally like the pricing, and I suspect that the product stack got pushed up a tier fairly late in the development cycle, once they saw the huge interest that was created.
As an aside, the Adoredtv leak wasn't massively far off; the SKUs announced do appear in the leak, just with incorrect naming and pricing. Its true that we don't see the 5GHz SKUs, but perhaps they are being held back...?

Back
Top Bottom