• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I've never been more confused as to what to do. Maybe at 1440p I should just hold onto my 4690k for a while yet.

You're going to be over a grand for a top end cou and mobo from AMD. before you even look at ram or the rest of the system.

Caporegime
The unnecessary bolted on hardware on these X570 motherboards, like a Ford Focus after its owner has spent the afternoon at Halfords, is annoying me a bit.

As nice as they look, I don't care about showing off my mobo to nerds at LAN parties, so I hope there are some functional cheaper boards that aren't adorned with all this bolt-on tat.

Soldato
The unnecessary bolted on hardware on these X570 motherboards, like a Ford Focus after its owner has spent the afternoon at Halfords, is annoying me a bit.

As nice as they look, I don't care about showing off my mobo to nerds at LAN parties, so I hope there are some functional boards that aren't adorned with all this bolt-on tat.

Good luck with that. Tat is cheap, as is RGB LEDs. It's a mainstay now. I expect there'll be a modding scene from de-tatting motherboards :p

Caporegime
Good luck with that. Tat is cheap, as is RGB LEDs. It's a mainstay now. I expect there'll be a modding scene from de-tatting motherboards :p
Cheap to construct but it's all part of trying to upsell and increase margins. Remove the tat and stop trying to sell boards at prices that imply the tat is anything but tat.

X570 prices are in danger of harming Zen 2 sales if they're not sensible.

Caporegime
I've never been more confused as to what to do. Maybe at 1440p I should just hold onto my 4690k for a while yet.

You're going to be over a grand for a top end cou and mobo from AMD. before you even look at ram or the rest of the system.
Wait for prices to drop, unless money isn't an object.

Unfortunately there are enough people who will buy at literally any price that price drops might take years.

Associate
top board from gigabyte is sugested to cost $600 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA0zBR6MgA

He reported the Master to come in at around 350 and will have everything people will need. Still a lot, but far better value for money. Buildzoid was actually impressed with it (in other words, he said it wasn't ass), which in normal speak means it is pretty good :D

ASUS' new memory hardware sounds extremely interesting. From what I've seen so far it seems like ASUS and Gigabyte are looking good. ASUS tax is a scary thought though if the top Gigabyte board is pushing $600.

Soldato

As nice as they look, I don't care about showing off my mobo to nerds at LAN parties, so I hope there are some functional cheaper boards that aren't adorned with all this bolt-on tat.
Last generation there were a couple of MSI boards that had great hardware without being flashy and overpriced. Not sure about other manufacturers.

Caporegime
He reported the Master to come in at around 350 and will have everything people will need. Still a lot, but far better value for money. Buildzoid was actually impressed with it (in other words, he said it wasn't ass), which in normal speak means it is pretty good :D

ASUS' new memory hardware sounds extremely interesting. From what I've seen so far it seems like ASUS and Gigabyte are looking good. ASUS tax is a scary thought though if the top Gigabyte board is pushing $600.
Sure is difficult having two "premium" vendors in this market, and nothing else.

AMD = "We're premium now, please."
Intel = "Always been premium."
All the motherboard makers = "We're can be premium too! Look at these prices!"
Everybody else in the distribution chain, "Did I hear premium? Dis gun be good!"

Yeah, this new market reality is that everything is premium. In other words, you best give up your golf membership or (for the chavs) sell a kidney, if you want a new "premium" gaming PC. Which is any new gaming PC. Any of them.

Hell if you just want an nVidia GPU and can't (yet) afford a PC to put it in you're still looking at remortgaging your house...

Soldato
Saving up for a Ryzen 9 3900x. I wonder if/when the Ryzen 9 16c/32t variant will show up.

Anyway, it's a full hardware change for me, CPU, board, RAM, and probably a good MVNe SSD.

Time to retired my i7 4790k.

Caporegime

your on a old i5 anything is going to be a upgrade over what you have. £100 on ram £100 mobo 2700 at £160. big upgrade for not much.

Soldato
3800x £399...tad pricy no?

I think pretty much all of us will spend more between console generations than the cost of a next gen console. Regardless of which console gen you look at. Add up all the GPU and CPU and mobo and RAM upgrades since PS4 was released, I dare ya ;) Esp if you bought an nVidia GPU recently (ho ho ho).

PC upgrades aren't cheap; they don't really make economical sense vs consoles from a gaming perspective.

The reason to keep upgrading your PC is to have either a) one "all purpose" device; b) upgrade more frequently (if you have an uncontrollable itch); c) maximum power for unlimited spend or d) you're addicted to MMOs :p

For everyone else - and because everyone else already has a PC of some sort - consoles genuinely are the better value for money proposition (except if you don't play games!).
oh i'd agree - running a pc and keeping it 'updated' is a costly hobby but as enthusiasts we already know that (or at least should)
if someone is looking at it purely on a cost case then a 150 quid office pc off the shelf and a ps(whatever number) or xbox(even less idea of name) is the more sensible choice if a user wants to game but still have a bit of 'productivity'
but we're for the most part pc enthusiasts so ain't got no time for sensible arguments! :p

Around $600 for the top Gigabyte board.
sauce?

Permabanned
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-9-16-core-overclocked-processor-scores-4346-in-cinebench

AMD Ryzen 9 16-cores: 3920X, 3950X?

AMD-Ryzen-9-16-core-Cinebench-1000x563.jpg

Back
Top Bottom