• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
To add 2 cents to fps discussion

You absolutely can get 50% more fps by going from 4 core cpu to something bigger. Not the avg, but minimums, the ones you actually notice, the ones that get you shot.
And even avg If not on Ultra like every benchmark site, but on potato settings to keep steady 144fps.

Indeed! Even at stock the 8700K boosted FPS from 45-90 on my 4690K at 4.7GHz up to 75-130 in BF1 at 1440p Ultra. I suspect the difference would have been even bigger had I been using the 1080 Ti at the time instead of a 980 Ti. War Thunder also saw big improvements to both mins/avg and while it had never been unplayable it became a much smoother, more consistent experience.

Soldato
It looks like Intel wants "new benchmarks" it appears:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.computerbase.de/2019-05/reale-cpu-test-intel-cinebench-co-benchmarkreferenz/

n recent weeks, Intel has made clear in several briefings that the benchen processors will change in the future. Similar to the process of graphics card testing from "3D Mark only" to complex scenarios in the real world of games, the CPU Benchen should be revolutionized and oriented to the real world.

As the first and the most common example, Intel called Cinebench directly, which is the defacto reference and, above all, is often taken as an IPC reference by AMD because its own products scale well there. According to Intel use 80 percent of all CPU tester Cinebench, in real life comes the program of over 1.8 million analyzed PCs but only 0.54 percent used. With POV-ray the actually used portion at the program amounts to only 0,043 per cent, Blender manages it after all to approximately two per cent. The list could be continued with many more program.

Everyday life is not reflected in benchmarks today
In this context, ex-AMDler Jon Carvill and former US journalist and now Intel employee Ryan Shrout presented an analysis outlining programs that every user frequently uses. Almost ranked at the top Chrome, various Office programs can be found, but also Steam , WinRAR, VLC and some games and image editing programs. Theoretically, these would be a good cut for the real world, but now the challenge is how to measure them so that conclusions can be drawn about the performance of CPU A, CPU B and CPU C.

However, Intel generally insists that benchmarks will no longer look at cores, clock, speed, and caches, but rather at the architecture, intended uses, and implementation, such as new features and capabilities. For example, not all CPUs should be tested the same, because, for example, the Y series has a different field of application and profile than the desktop product of the S family. The applications should be suitable for the respective market segment.

With Ice Lake and parallel to the Project Athena Intel already creates real facts in the field. Whether this is enough to escape the "3D Mark of the CPU Benches", will have to show. This has taken a long time in the GPU area as well. More about this soon on ComputerBase.

Funny how Intel had no problems with those benchmarks for 10 years,when they were in the lead.

This sounds eerily like the BAPCo and XPRT crap years ago!!

Soldato
Then just wait for reviews where they will Bench all that stuff anyway.

Intel is complaining about AMD using Cinebench on a stage - well they can complain but nothing they can do will change that.

If Intel is expecting someone to build a benchmarking tool that tests 20 different use case scenarios all at once I think they are dreaming

Soldato
They are all awful. I respect their success, but that doesn't mean I'm impressed with the quality of their content.

Check out Level 1 Techs. It's a bit drier than the entertainment You Tubers but Wendell seems to know his stuff. I think it was him that put work into Threadripper 2 when the high core count ones were having issues with Windows scheduler.

Associate
Check out Level 1 Techs. It's a bit drier than the entertainment You Tubers but Wendell seems to know his stuff. I think it was him that put work into Threadripper 2 when the high core count ones were having issues with Windows scheduler.
Yeah he identified the issues with the Windows Scheduler being unable to properly utilise the core allocation on the 2990WX processors.

Associate
Any word on the AVX performance for Ryzen 3000? I've heard that compared to Intel it's always been subpar on AMD CPUs, and would definitely hold me back from making the switch it was still an issue.

Soldato
Any word on the AVX performance for Ryzen 3000? I've heard that compared to Intel it's always been subpar on AMD CPUs, and would definitely hold me back from making the switch it was still an issue.
Theoretically they've increased it but how much that's reflected in real world AVX workloads is yet to be seen, I'd expect them to be on par with Intel now though as they've pretty much double the FP capabilities.

Last edited:
Soldato
Theoretically they've increased it but how much that's reflected in real world AVX workloads is yet to be seen, I'd expect them to be on par with Intel now though as they've pretty much double the FP capabilities.

Yes, it has been doubled from 128Bit units to 256Bit units. AVX performance will be equal to Intel's. That equal performance though will carry the drawback of extra heat generation along with power pull, that may well be mitigated though by being on the 7nm node.

Associate
Yes, it has been doubled from 128Bit units to 256Bit units. AVX performance will be equal to Intel's. That equal performance though will carry the drawback of extra heat generation along with power pull, that may well be mitigated though by being on the 7nm node.
Well, extra heat is to be expected. I've been using AVX on Intel for years. :p

Back
Top Bottom