• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Possibly a question I should know the answer to, but I have a 1920 threadripper and a high-end board for it (MSI Meg Creation X399). I bought the 1st gen TR to save money with a view to upgrading to a higher end, 2nd gen TR when the prices came down. But question - will the 3rd Gen threadrippers be compatible with my board? I might be willing to spend the extra money if it's good.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well a little info on ryzen 3000 support for older boards from amd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q28jGiUB58A

the main concern seems to be the bios chips of the older first gen boards not being able to take a larger enough bios update which is something iv never heard of before so maybe this could be why msi was rather down about supporting 3000 cpu's as they went for a smaller (and id imagine cheaper) bios chip.

Soldato
Possibly a question I should know the answer to, but I have a 1920 threadripper and a high-end board for it (MSI Meg Creation X399). I bought the 1st gen TR to save money with a view to upgrading to a higher end, 2nd gen TR when the prices came down. But question - will the 3rd Gen threadrippers be compatible with my board? I might be willing to spend the extra money if it's good.

You know as much as we do. Which is nothing, AMD never mentioned Threadrippier during the event.

Soldato
Got to say im peed off at the price of these mobos. There is no good reason for it.
There is tons and tons of competition in the mobo market. And they are all at it. We are getting taken for a ride.

I was just coming to terms with spending £500 on an AMD consumer CPU when we find out mobos are essentially £100 more than they should be.

Soldato
well a little info on ryzen 3000 support for older boards from amd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q28jGiUB58A

the main concern seems to be the bios chips of the older first gen boards not being able to take a larger enough bios update which is something iv never heard of before so maybe this could be why msi was rather down about supporting 3000 cpu's as they went for a smaller (and id imagine cheaper) bios chip.

You know as much as we do. Which is nothing, AMD never mentioned Threadrippier during the event.

The chip maker's CEO Dr Lisa Su told press at Computex 2019 that despite suggestions that Zen 2 architecture-based Threadripper parts had been scrubbed from AMD's roadmap, the CPUs are still coming.

"You know. it's very interesting, some of the things that circulate on the internet—I don't think we ever said that Threadripper was not going to continue—it somehow took on a life of its own on the internet," Su said, reported PCWorld. "You will see more [Threadripper] from us; you will definitely see more."

Sauce

Associate
Got to say im peed off at the price of these mobos. There is no good reason for it.
There is tons and tons of competition in the mobo market. And they are all at it. We are getting taken for a ride.

I was just coming to terms with spending £500 on an AMD consumer CPU when we find out mobos are essentially £100 more than they should be.

Just use an X470/B450?

Also saw Steve at Gamers Nexus say the lower end X570 boards from ASUS were $180. Might have been Gigabyte but that was the price.

Soldato

We've only seen the flagship X570 boards. There will be lower-end X570 boards. And B550 as well. We all want the awesome brand new shiny shiny RIGHT NOW, but patience is a virtue. We've all been champing at the bit for this long, a couple more months to wait and see the kit in retail, assess the prices and if things drop after early adopters have been milked. Didn't Ryzen 1000 see a drop in price after the first couple of months?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Just use an X470/B450?

Also saw Steve at Gamers Nexus say the lower end X570 boards from ASUS were $180. Might have been Gigabyte but that was the price.

guess it depends how much you plan on overclocking and IF you need that pcie4 bandwidth for storage.

again just have to wait for them reviews to come in and see what the actual difference is as id expect to see a good generational comparison from a few.

Soldato
We've only seen the flagship X570 boards. There will be lower-end X570 boards. And B550 as well. We all want the awesome brand new shiny shiny RIGHT NOW, but patience is a virtue. We've all been champing at the bit for this long, a couple more months to wait and see the kit in retail, assess the prices and if things drop after early adopters have been milked. Didn't Ryzen 1000 see a drop in price after the first couple of months?
There was a full price list for MSI boards. Whole range. And they were +£100 on last gen.

Soldato
ASUS CH8 for me! Looks like they've got 12/14 phase (doublers maybe) for vcore under there with a big heatsink, overkill again! :D

I'll disable the LEDs and remove the plastic covers however, if possible.

Soldato
Any word on the AVX performance for Ryzen 3000? I've heard that compared to Intel it's always been subpar on AMD CPUs, and would definitely hold me back from making the switch it was still an issue.

Cinebench r20 uses more avx than even before which is why Intel cpus gained ground against amd in the scores and yet the ryzen 3000 still has a good lead

Man of Honour
just doubled confirmed for aorus, it is 6+2 phase design .
waiting to hear from MSI

thanks. thought so.

guess it depends how much you plan on overclocking
It made no difference.
yeah, i agree. ryzen 1000 and 2000 series were pretty much maxed out of the box already, so anything with half-decent vrms were enough.
of course, if ryzen 3000 were to be more overclockable, then things may be different...

Soldato
thanks. thought so.

yeah, i agree. ryzen 1000 and 2000 series were pretty much maxed out of the box already, so anything with half-decent vrms were enough.
of course, if ryzen 3000 were to be more overclockable, then things may be different...

guessing it depends on the TDP game, Intel is the worst at it ! stating Base clock speeds , though least 8th gen and 9th gen they have raised all core boost speeds specially for non K chips .

I have a feeling 3700x will have room to open up and void its low TDP

Back
Top Bottom