• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Caporegime
@LtMatt

I ran with just AMD Wattman.
Rendering 2560x1080 the GPU was ~200W (Think it was more like 180W) using Wattman GPU PWR sensor. Wattman has no voltage measuring so I can't give exacts, but it'll make sense that it's doing the 1000MV I set it to.

Soon as I render 4K it just smashes up, obviously ignoring 1000MV and hitting 300W and suddenly unable to keep itself cool.

MSI AB is off my PC.

It's just the AMD driver doing something stupid with the GPU Vcore when it renders 4K for example.

I'm just going to have to leave the power limit to 0% so it'll stick at 200W without trying to kill itself.

Associate
@LtMatt Any chance of having AMD look into the issues with AMD drivers since 19.2.1 and iRacing having a conflict. I believe iRacing have a ticket in with AMD currently but it's been since February and Vega users are getting shafted having to run 19.1.1 drivers to get around driver issues.

Soldato
Are you doing any VSR or anything?

The behavior was repeated on my 2560x1080 when VSR was involved as it went to rendering 4K content essentially.
Ive had very bunkers powerdraw when using VSR on my 1080p display to draw 4k content. Its absolutely insane and temps and powerdraw fly out the windows. Haven't used VSR since. VSR seems to be buggy or weird in its behavior.

Man of Honour
Couple of questions please peeps?

1) Is the Vega 64 a good card for 1440p/144Hz gaming on a FreeSync monitor?

2) I've the choice of 2 Vegas, one is the Sapphire Nitro+ with Core: 1373MHz Boost:1580MHz or the Power Colour with Core:1247MHz Boost:1546MHz

My question is, if I'm water cooling them, could the cheaper Power Colour be made to run at the same speeds as the Sapphire? And overclocked by the same, worth saving £50?

Last edited:
Soldato
Couple of questions please peeps?

1) Is the Vega 64 a good card for 1440p/144Hz gaming on a FreeSync monitor?

2) I've the choice of 2 Vegas, one is the Sapphire Nitro+ with Core: 1373MHz Boost:1580MHz or the Power Colour with Core:1247MHz Boost:1546MHz

My question is, if I'm water cooling them, could the cheaper Power Colour be made to run at the same speeds as the Sapphire? And overclocked by the same, worth saving £50?

1) Yes*

2) If WC, go for reference due to compatibility with waterblocks. It will most likely OC the same, none of them are binned.

* obviously, performance varies from game to game and with various settings. If just wanting to max sliders and still hold or reach 144+ fps, nothing below a 2080 ti will do.

eg: just ran DX:MD 1440p ultra, got 62ish FPS. Then I put CHS to off, and got 84ish FPS. Is it smart to just rely on presets then? Imo hell no. Strange Brigade on the other hand, runs at 111 fps. Doom, again, really good title, easily goes >144 fps. Then we look at action-adventure types from Ubisoft, Odyssey, can barely keep 60 fps (here again, a single setting, volumetric clouds ultra, has 30-40% performance reduction).

ON vs OFF

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1) Yes*

2) If WC, go for reference due to compatibility with waterblocks. It will most likely OC the same, none of them are binned.

* obviously, performance varies from game to game and with various settings. If just wanting to max sliders and still hold or reach 144+ fps, nothing below a 2080 ti will do.

eg: just ran DX:MD 1440p ultra, got 62ish FPS. Then I put CHS to off, and got 84ish FPS. Is it smart to just rely on presets then? Imo hell no. Strange Brigade on the other hand, runs at 111 fps. Doom, again, really good title, easily goes >144 fps. Then we look at action-adventure types from Ubisoft, Odyssey, can barely keep 60 fps (here again, a single setting, volumetric clouds ultra, has 30-40% performance reduction).

ON vs OFF

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

I'll have to look into some of the terms you've mentioned as I'm new to AMD GPUs :p

Soldato
Are you doing any VSR or anything?

The behavior was repeated on my 2560x1080 when VSR was involved as it went to rendering 4K content essentially.

I was doing VSR in some scenarios but not the one tested. I finally got around to test at 1080p as SIGNAL resolution and you were right - I managed to get the voltage as low as 0.962v. Not as low as I had hoped to go, but still -100mv compared to at 4K.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

I'll have to look into some of the terms you've mentioned as I'm new to AMD GPUs :p

Happy to help, let me know what terms give you trouble. :)

Soldato
having issues with my mega 64 nitro, everything standard, but last few weeks i been getting lock ups with noise, have to restart pc, then sometimes i get into windows and either i got like a pink screen or flashing pixels, then is fine. sometimes lock up is on idle and most times on load.
any ideas

Permabanned
having issues with my mega 64 nitro, everything standard, but last few weeks i been getting lock ups with noise, have to restart pc, then sometimes i get into windows and either i got like a pink screen or flashing pixels, then is fine. sometimes lock up is on idle and most times on load.
any ideas
send it back ... looks like it's on the way out ..

Soldato
this should be arriving in the next couple of days.........nice timing considering navi is nowt to get foamy about and just a few weeks to wait to rebuild the entire pc with an R3K. though knowing how impatient i am i'll probably bung it into the loop now and then have to rebuild in a few weeks again anyway!!

1ID8MK5.png

Back
Top Bottom