• No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Yeah, multiplayer could benefit a lot.

I notice on the specs page, it says resolutions are "up to ..." but the frame rate is listed as 60fps. I wonder if this means Google has mandated that all games must be 60fps and use reconstruction techniques to get the resolution to 4K or if they simply mean the video is encoded to 60fps and the in-game framerate could still be 30fps or anything in between.

Associate
Yeah, multiplayer could benefit a lot.

I notice on the specs page, it says resolutions are "up to ..." but the frame rate is listed as 60fps. I wonder if this means Google has mandated that all games must be 60fps and use reconstruction techniques to get the resolution to 4K or if they simply mean the video is encoded to 60fps and the in-game framerate could still be 30fps or anything in between.

same as twitch, always same fps but resolution changes based on my connection?

Destiny very interesting decision, must be a reason why they chose it over everything else.

Soldato
One thing I can't find a concrete answer to - I presume you will have to specifically purchase games through Google to use on Stadia?

My worry would be that buying into Stadia ends up being similar to buying into the Apple ecosystem, where you're locked to a single source and therefore have no say in pricing. If on the other hand I can just pay a monthly subscription, and "add" games I buy/own to it like purchasing a Steam code from a third party for example, then I'm definitely interested...

Associate
One thing I can't find a concrete answer to - I presume you will have to specifically purchase games through Google to use on Stadia?

My worry would be that buying into Stadia ends up being similar to buying into the Apple ecosystem, where you're locked to a single source and therefore have no say in pricing. If on the other hand I can just pay a monthly subscription, and "add" games I buy/own to it like purchasing a Steam code from a third party for example, then I'm definitely interested...

This is my understanding of it, essentially it is like steam but you don't need to own hardware to run it (by hardware I'm talking gaming pc with £xxxx gpu), instead your £8.99 (4k) pays for that plus the free monthly games and then any games you want on top of that you buy separately.

Last edited:
Soldato
The same thing if any digital pc storefront goes Pete tong...

I think it's in the EULA for nearly every piece of software that technically you don't own any game, you've merely paid to use it.
I thought Steam has plans for making all games available should it shut down (which seems unlikely at this point). Also, all those other platforms allow me to download the games so I have them locally. Is it the same thing with Stadia?

Associate
Have signed up. New Samsung QLED gets 170 to 200mbps download & 11 to 14 upload depending on the speed test ran. Also my base PS4 is showing it's age. If works as intended then may leave PS5 until Christmas 2020 but if the range of games is limited overall (I expect all cross platform to be on it othewise unacceptable). Could be an industry changer or slow burner to evential fizzle out.

Soldato
They have previous for this too. Google+ cough.. (111 million user base too! So no small deal)
Apparently there's also:
Google Reader
iGoogle
Google Talk
Google Health
Knol
Google Insights for Search
Picnik
Google Buzz
Aardvark
Sidewiki
Google Notebook
Google Dictionary
Google Labs
Google Wave
SearchWiki
Dodgeball
Jaiku
Google Lively
Google Page Creator
Zeitgeist
Google Answers

And possibly Google Glass

Soldato
Apparently there's also:
Google Reader
iGoogle
Google Talk
Google Health
Knol
Google Insights for Search
Picnik
Google Buzz
Aardvark
Sidewiki
Google Notebook
Google Dictionary
Google Labs
Google Wave
SearchWiki
Dodgeball
Jaiku
Google Lively
Google Page Creator
Zeitgeist
Google Answers

And possibly Google Glass

Lol! In this case I think i’ll Wait to see what the competitors come up with. :D

Soldato
1080p on a 200Mb connection, probably a leased line from an office too. Not only that, they didn't use the same displays.

On the 15mb connection it drops to 720p resolution, lowers quality on top of this and has higher latency (188ms).

Overall, a pretty poor test. Will be interesting to see more reviews and real world results.

What's wrong with that? With 5g just around the corner, and BT rolling out fibre to the home, Stadia is designed past 2019.
The games are what's worrying me, not graphics or latency.

Soldato
What's wrong with that? With 5g just around the corner, and BT rolling out fibre to the home, Stadia is designed past 2019.
The games are what's worrying me, not graphics or latency.

You mean, what's wrong with the test being essentially useless? It didn't show UHD performance, used different screens and downscales quality HARD with slower connections. We need a real world test to be carried out to judge the latency and quality of the streaming.

As for 5G, it's is more than "around the corner" before there's more than a trickle of coverage and bandwidth, also providing it's security issues are solved/rescinded. Also, what happens with Stadia when bandwidth is taken up with device updates and other devices streaming media? Fibre to the home will not be available to everyone, myself included. These are not issues for current consoles and I believe Google are jumping the gun somewhat.

This needs to be reviewed, properly, before the bandwagon gets rolling separately to the concerns of games and their exclusivity, availability and ownership.

Back
Top Bottom