DJI Osmo Action

Soldato
Umm he did link the adapter he uses in the video... A shame some people can't read /listen properly...

Matter of fact. The exact same adapter he got and linked to is arriving today

If you'd linked a video, it would have been easier. As it is I was left to work out who Kai was and what video you were talking about. The one I found that he used an external mic had people asking in the comments and he didn't reply. Shame people don't know how to post links, life would be a lot easier.

Soldato
I ended up going with the GoPro Hero 7 Black in the end as it was on sale and it came with a microSD card. Plus I could get the official head strap and battery charger at the same time, which makes things easier. If the audio is rubbish, then I can try and sort it out, but for the time being, I'm happy with my purchase.

Soldato
Okay, good luck. Let us know how you get on :) (We still don't know what it's for... yes, we know what you're doing, but not what for, like YouTube, a Vlog etc... but I'm just being nosey now ;) )

It just struck me, the front facing camera would have been really useful for you I would have thought? I love it for times I'm recording myself. There's the tendancy to point the lens right at you, thinking you'll be framed right, but actually your eyes on in the centre of the shot and there's loads of sky! Anyway, the choice has been made!

Soldato
Okay, good luck. Let us know how you get on :) (We still don't know what it's for... yes, we know what you're doing, but not what for, like YouTube, a Vlog etc... but I'm just being nosey now ;) )

It is cool. I don't mind explaining. I want to vlog, but I don't want to appear on camera as it is about mental health stuff and I'm not sure I'm ready to go public just yet. I'll use the GoPro with the head strap to walk around and talk while I'm filming so it'll just be showing myself walking through public parks in my local area without me being on camera.

Soldato
I have been doing some research and while I have the GoPro Hero 7 Black with the head strap for doing "main" filming. The DJI Osmo Pocket could be a good option for recording my face and doing a second camera shot and maybe for use when I don't want the full GoPro head strap and camera set up.

Soldato
It is cool. I don't mind explaining. I want to vlog, but I don't want to appear on camera as it is about mental health stuff and I'm not sure I'm ready to go public just yet. I'll use the GoPro with the head strap to walk around and talk while I'm filming so it'll just be showing myself walking through public parks in my local area without me being on camera.
I recommend you get a mic then for your scenario. The built-in mic audio is not good in any of these action cameras

Soldato
I want to vlog, but I don't want to appear on camera as it is about mental health stuff and I'm not sure I'm ready to go public just yet. I'll use the GoPro with the head strap to walk around and talk while I'm filming so it'll just be showing myself walking through public parks in my local area without me being on camera.

Okay, cool. I would recommend a mic then, the Purple Panda is only £26 and I would say pretty good. You obviously need the adaptor of course.

Hmm, I still say the front facing screen is so useful for vlogging, I would have said the Osmo Action would have been your better choice. RockSteady makes it look like it's on a gimbal, but then your limited external mic wise for now. If they did an Osmo Pocket with a front facing camera, that would be a winner!

Soldato
Okay, cool. I would recommend a mic then, the Purple Panda is only £26 and I would say pretty good. You obviously need the adaptor of course.

Hmm, I still say the front facing screen is so useful for vlogging, I would have said the Osmo Action would have been your better choice. RockSteady makes it look like it's on a gimbal, but then your limited external mic wise for now. If they did an Osmo Pocket with a front facing camera, that would be a winner!
dont listen to this guy in regards to being limited to an external mic. any mic works on the osmo action, you just need a usb c to 3.5mm jack adapter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MRJSJ6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 exact model Kai linked and used

Soldato

Thanks, I did 'show content' as I thought you might finally be helpful. Turns out it was just me you didn't want to help! Thanks though, that's all I wanted was a link.

I'll get to see myself if it works. Mind you, most editing software has a sync by audio these days so it's not to hard to replace the Osmo Action audio with audio from a recorder. Will still be easier if it can record direct into the Osmo Action though.

Soldato

I'm actually thinking I might record my face after all. I'm trying to decide whether to get an Osmo Pocket in addition to the GoPro. I think that would make my finished videos look better as I'd be able to cut to my face and then back to the countryside. I'd also have two microphones so I could switch between them.

Soldato
But neither mic would sound all that great :( Obviously, see how you go, but as I think I said earlier, one of the common mistakes, in my opinion, is to under estimate good audio. Considering you're spending £500 to £700 on camera, I would go the extra £36 for good audio too :)

Soldato
But neither mic would sound all that great :( Obviously, see how you go, but as I think I said earlier, one of the common mistakes, in my opinion, is to under estimate good audio. Considering you're spending £500 to £700 on camera, I would go the extra £36 for good audio too :)

Yeah. Good point. I have to wait until next month to get the Osmo Pocket so I'll just play around with the GoPro Hero 7 Black in the meantime and I'll look into the microphone at the same time as I get the Osmo Pocket.

Soldato
Don't forget, that's the good thing, it won't matter which the mic is connected to as that clips onto your clothing. The cameras can be pointed wherever you like and at any distance from your mouth.

Back
Top Bottom