• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ripped capacitors off GPU

Soldato
Wow, this is a popular topic. First of all, it's not a joke, I don't have a soldering iron so I glued them on.

Second, it didn't heppen while I took the heatsink off, after I took that off I took off the small length heatsink next to the capacitors but as it's on with a sticky thermal pad it was very tough to get off, I knocked the capacitors and 4 of them came off with it.

I didn't use a new thermal pad as I don't have any. I may of ripped the solder pads off yes, can they be repaired/replaced with a dollop of solder?. I have no idea what temperature the capacitors run at.

They are surface mount (there is not a hole through the board).
if you have ripped the solder pads off then this would need repairing first before you could reattach the caps.
normally done with a VERY careful hand and some small piece of copper wire.

if you haven't soldered in 20 years then this is definitely not a job for you to do without a bit of practice on something else first.

Associate
Okay, so this isn't a joke then, fair enough. I think you are going to have to find someone who knows what they are doing, and then ask them to make the necessary repairs for you. It's not really something you should attempt by yourself.

If I'm brutally honest, if you can't get it repaired, then you may be looking at having to replace this particular card. Super glue will not hold up to those temperatures for long, it isn't designed for it.

Associate
Sorry m8, it just reads like a joke/troll thread… There aren’t even photos of the damage – surely someone genuine would show the state of the card/components when they ask for help?

The damage explained to the gpu is far more than should have happened and suggests a lack of care required for water-cooling a gpu, so why does the OP think they have the skill, ability or knowledge to start such an exercise?!?

If the OP was taught soldering at school, even if it was 20 years ago, then he would know that glue isn’t suitable for electrical connections?!? I even laughed at the mention of wood glue (in case capacitors and pcbs are wood?!?), and how long before we try wattle and daub? Sorry OP, it just sounds wrong on so many levels it has to be a joke/troll. Sure, there are people without the knowledge of soldering who might attempt to glue components in a pinch, but surely they wouldn’t be trying the delicate task of removing heatsinks and swapping to a water-cooled solution. And that’s before thinking about any anti-static measures…

If the solder pads have been lifted with the removal of the caps then what tracks have been lifted/damaged too? Just write this off as experience, and replace the card (and don’t try to sell this on ebay as working…)

I’m just waiting for the next thread about trying to delid a chip with a screwdriver or using liquid metal thermal paste with an aluminium heatsink…

Soldato
If you lived closer to me I would do the soldering for you, it'll only take a few minutes if you had the cooler off. Glue isn't conductive so may not work, especially in the long term, the best thing to do is get the caps you need and find someone closer - any electronics repair shop could do it it you had the parts.

Soldato
Urban myth, Shirley?

Hopefully, but then again years ago I forgot to attach the inlet hose to my waterblock then turned the pump on, queue water spraying into my computer. Thankfully the machine was powered down and unplugged at the time, so after drying it out it all worked fine :D

Associate
OP
lol, I repeat, this is not a joke, but glad I entertained everyone.

I didn't take pics of it because I hastily went into DIY repair mode to pretend I never did it. But even the after photos you wouldn't be able to tell.

It appears some may think I used super glue in place of solder, I didn't because of course it's not conductive; So I place a spot inbetween the pads so the conductors pins had the best chance of touching what metal was left of the pads.

Also the glue I used didn't mention anything about heat whereas the first one I looked at in the shop said it wouldn't work, so I thought it was all over until I found the Bostik's tube.

Well, thanks very much for all the genuine help and I'll either try to find someone to sort it for me or I'll treat it as a lesson learned, get a new card and use this one for further experiments.

Caporegime
I may of ripped the solder pads off yes, can they be repaired/replaced with a dollop of solder?. I have no idea what temperature the capacitors run at.

If you ripped the pads off the repair is going to be much harder, you will need to send it to someone who is good at repairing traces. Just gluing them back on and hoping for the best is not good idea, at the very least get a cheap multimeter and test them. If even one is not connected properly the card is being operated out of spec, it might have reduced power phases or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can usually repair the pads with copper tape but either way it’s hard work with such tiny capacitors.

I’ve done a few on GPU’s before but they for sure require propper tools, multi-meter, a quality wattage iron and usually a heatgun to preheat the board.

My advice to op is if it is working then I’d leave it. Even if the gpu lost a phase because of these caps, it likely would still work fine enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom