• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I see the slide as flawed.

It doesnt show different timings on the same memory clockspeed so e.g. 3200CL14 vs 3200CL12.

The industry is still very lacking in these tests. I posted some results some weeks ago and got slammed for it, but no one bothered to do their own tests to provide evidence against my own claims.

However the slide does suggest latency is king, and memory bandwidth is secondary (but also helps).

Flawed in what way, not that I'm looking to dispute that it is just trying to understand if where you see the flaws are the same as mine.

It doesn't need to show different timings on the same memory clock-speed because we know lower CAS latency results in lower latency, there's a short bit of math you can do to workout what the true latency of RAM is in ns but i can't remember what it is right now.

I think you may also be misunderstanding what the chart is showing in some way, it's not intended to show the effect that memory latency has but what's the effect of essentially overclocking the IF link (or underclocking it with the 1/2 divider), the latency of the RAM in that slide is fairly inconsequential as like i said lower CAS will always result in lower latency, all things being equal.

Soldato
16c is far from been mainstream ;) I dont know when £600+ cpu's were ever considered mainstream, so not mainstream either on price point or expected performance level.

I would say zen2 will probably finally push mainstream to 4c. 70% of hardware on steam is still 2c.

8c will be upper end, 16c enthusiast/professional.

Not going round in circles again, read the responses to other posters to see what the actual conversation was about, instead of misinterpreting information. ;)

Soldato
Like a few of the other guys I’m still on a 3770K, been clocked to 5GHz for its lifetime now and 5.1 when I had it under custom water.

Expectations are high here. Need to see the reviews but I’m almost sold on a Ryzen upgrade.

Soldato
70% of people game on dual cores?

That’s a crazy stat if true because a dual core would seriously struggle to run any modern game. They must be playing games at 540p or 15fps

Soldato
I would put money on quad cores still being the largest used cpus in 2020 let alone now as a result of Intel sandbagging for 10 years. It'll take 2-3 more years to get 8 cores to the mainstream.

If you include the huge installed base of corporate and home gaming PC's and then include laptops, maybe not even in 2-3 years. The interesting stat is the current snapshot of what is being bought at any one time. Many of the databases like steam are outdated or inaccurate by users not refreshing or not even including themselves in them.

Soldato
If you include the huge installed base of corporate and home gaming PC's and then include laptops, maybe not even in 2-3 years. The interesting stat is the current snapshot of what is being bought at any one time. Many of the databases like steam are outdated or inaccurate by users not refreshing or not even including themselves in them.

For gamers I would put a guess on something like a 3570k/8GB RAM/ GTX 960 being about average now. Average PCs across the board will be a bit below that and almost certainly no discrete gpu at all.

Soldato

That’s a crazy stat if true because a dual core would seriously struggle to run any modern game. They must be playing games at 540p or 15fps

you forget there are thousands of games on steam, that are indie or old or of high quality but coded on DX11 and little budget to push for the effort or need to use 6 plus cores when core market dont use it .

you make a game that can run on 2 cores, then scale it ! that id the definition of a well optimised game . naturally as the more powerful the system, the nicer it will look - but performance should be more constant . then if you havent got the money to spend getting coding to run on multiple cores, you wouldn't.

think 3600x would naturally sell the most with new ryzen listing - to be honest not much need as a gamer to go over it

Soldato

I would bet a vast majority of steam users are laptop users. I think most i5 laptops were 2c/4t. A lot of people are obvious to running games on minimum settings.

Soldato
you forget there are thousands of games on steam, that are indie or old or of high quality but coded on DX11 and little budget to push for the effort or need to use 6 plus cores when core market dont use it .

you make a game that can run on 2 cores, then scale it ! that id the definition of a well optimised game . naturally as the more powerful the system, the nicer it will look - but performance should be more constant . then if you havent got the money to spend getting coding to run on multiple cores, you wouldn't.

think 3600x would naturally sell the most with new ryzen listing - to be honest not much need as a gamer to go over it

The next round of consoles will very likely be 8c 16t chips so that would be a good base spec. A 16 core machine will probably pay dividends.

Associate
Problem is stats are skewed. It's the whole of the steam install base, whether it's just for simple casual games or the next AAA blockbuster. Also when Steam went to China the stats skewed hard. If it were able to be dissected properly, then it would likely show most gamers who play AAA games have 4-6c and the dual cores are largely Chinese or casual gamers by comparison. A localised break down would be quite interesting to see as well as dissection of cores vs game type (indie, AAA etc...).

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The next round of consoles will very likely be 8c 16t chips so that would be a good base spec. A 16 core machine will probably pay dividends.

Exactly. As consoles go to 8c, it will pretty much become the norm for game developers to use the extra cpu power. Hence its better future proofing even gaming wise to go for more cores than 8. Though that entirely depends on what kind of games you play anyway. But for triple A games id assume 8c will become very normal within a few years.

Soldato

Yeah but another statistic is that most people dont play the games that reviewers typically review, they play things like WoW and league of legends.

Also whilst a cpu may affect framerate, it shouldnt affect resolution much.

A dual core with good IPC could probably run most games at 60fps and the vast majority at 30fps, there is some it wont handle of course, but those games are a minority.

I still consider framerates above 60 as some kind of niche thing.

Soldato

Exactly. As consoles go to 8c, it will pretty much become the norm for game developers to use the extra cpu power. Hence its better future proofing even gaming wise to go for more cores than 8. Though that entirely depends on what kind of games you play anyway. But for triple A games id assume 8c will become very normal within a few years.

only problem is, like every console before it. developers get the best out of their games/coding/design at the END of a consoles life span. were tech and design has caught up so much, ideas and visuals want to push more then the console can achieve so developers really have to use their knowledge over 4 years of experience to drive it ! FF7 remake ... look at that now coming out on PS4 to what was first released for it - just flawless .

hopefully this is all ported over to PC's but having a feeling it'll be slower, and actually PC developers have the edge, Ashes of Singularity shows that a good PC developer can do with dx12/11 and vulkan :D

Soldato
Problem is stats are skewed. It's the whole of the steam install base, whether it's just for simple casual games or the next AAA blockbuster. Also when Steam went to China the stats skewed hard. If it were able to be dissected properly, then it would likely show most gamers who play AAA games have 4-6c and the dual cores are largely Chinese or casual gamers by comparison. A localised break down would be quite interesting to see as well as dissection of cores vs game type (indie, AAA etc...).

You talk as if AAA games are the only games that matter. AAA makes up a tiny part of steam's library.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
yeah great consoles going to 8 core, oh wait they where 8 core this generation, just now they are more powerful 8 cores (maybe 16 threads not sure if anyone has actually confirmed this).

Soldato

I see some validity in this argument, but I wouldnt say games will require 8 cores, but more that will perhaps be considered the optimal level. Games wont be not playable if you e.g. have 4 cores on a PS5 port, it will just have a higher risk of performance issues. Also consoles reserve 1-2 cores for other tasks outside the game. So a 8 core console wont use 8 cores for a game. I have played PS4 ports that are single threaded on PC, ports dont necessarily translate to what seems obvious.

Also clock speeds will be lower on the consoles, I expect 500mhz-1ghz lower than desktop parts.

Associate

I’ve had hours of fun playing games like FTL, Into the Breach, OpenRA, Age Of Empires 2, etc. And they’ll all run quite happily on an old dual core laptop. So it’s not that difficult to imagine. In fact I’m tempted to install Freelancer right now, just thinking about it. And there are still fairly hardcore communities around older games like Half Life, Battlefield 2 and the like. Given a locked-in dual core I could probably go the rest of my life exploring the thousands of low requirement titles that I know nothing about.

Soldato

Consoles have been using 8 cores since 2013 and the majority of high end PC’s have offered 8 threads since Bloomfield that I believe was 2007-8.

Back
Top Bottom