• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

It's more than 5%, and for the most part lower minimum frames.

Again, multitasking, the AMD excuse for poorer IPC.

Perspective is that AMD still cannot match performance of an almost 2 year old processor for gaming, despite reducing to 7nm.

Gaming - Intel.
Multitasking - AMD.
...and neither can Intel, otherwise their 10nm CPUs would be out already, and not 3 years late already.
Fact is, AMD have at least managed to get something new out of the door, whereas Intel are launching the 9900KFC...which is nothing but a binned 9900K, meaning that anyone now buying a vanilla 9900K is just getting the stock version with absutely no overclocking headroom at all.
I do wonder if the reviewers will review the performance of 9900K CPUs that are made after the KFC comes out.

Associate
Sorry GN went out and bought the 3600, no review yet on the 3800X but the 3600 does quite well in games.

Spent 15 mins trying to find the video then re-read the post and worked it out.

Seems I'll still have to wait before deciding on the CPU front. I'll (hopefully) have my bargain price taichi to look at in the interim :p

Associate
just ordered a 3700X from rainforest due to having some vouchers. I originally wanted a 3800x but reading the reviews today I think the extra £60 didn't seem worth it. I hope I don't regret this choice.

Also I will be running it on my Asus Prime Pro X370 board. I haven't seen any mention of the new chips on older 300 series chipsets so I hope its ok.

Aye was going to get a 3700X, but tempted by the 3800X now if it seems the power limits on it are way way higher.
They are.
PPT on 65w CPUs is 88w.
PPT on 105w CPUs is 142w.
What you get with a 3800X is a CPU that can be pumped with more power whilst remaining within it's warranty.
If you plan overclocking, manually or via PBO, then the 3800X would seem pointless.
Just looks like market segmentation to me.

Edit: current limits whilst thermally constrained are also different; 60A versus 95A. Limits when not constrained are also different; 90A versus ~142A IIRC.

Soldato
@Journey thought stock was meant to be plenty of the ryzen 3000 and wouldn't be an issue ?

IKEA delete very and missed out ;(

There is, most of the big retailers seem to have been stung by the late shipments meaning couriers didn't deliver in time, which is probably due to the silly launch on a Sunday, you should expect to see all the places you'd normally look which them available tomorrow morning.

WTF does ikea, delete very and missed out even mean?

I assume you ordered a £240 X570 Taichi, or you still got your nose up Gigabyte's bottom?

Soldato
just ordered a 3700X from rainforest due to having some vouchers. I originally wanted a 3800x but reading the reviews today I think the extra £60 didn't seem worth it. I hope I don't regret this choice.

Also I will be running it on my Asus Prime Pro X370 board. I haven't seen any mention of the new chips on older 300 series chipsets so I hope its ok.
I was going to order from rainforest due to vouchers too, but they are pre-order estimated delivery time 4 to 7 days. Sod that! :D

Soldato
Well I crumbled and have partially ordered my new build. I'm in no rush to order everything so for now I ordered the ASRock Taichi x570 from the same place everyone else did ;) and it's pre-ordered too so I can cancel it if OcUK's price adjusts or if the price is not honoured I'll get the Gigabyte Aorus Elite instead.

Seeing as I've kept this i7 930 for 9 years I might as well get the 3900X but I'll keep checking reviews.

Soldato
It's more than 5%, and for the most part lower minimum frames.

Again, multitasking, the AMD excuse for poorer IPC.

Perspective is that AMD still cannot match performance of an almost 2 year old processor for gaming, despite reducing to 7nm.

Gaming - Intel.
Multitasking - AMD.

AMD have faster IPC.

Associate
I was going to order from rainforest due to vouchers too, but they are pre-order estimated delivery time 4 to 7 days. Sod that! :D

I bet they ship before then, would be shocked it it doesn't ship before Wednesday at latest.

Now I can still cancel and change my 3700x to a 3800x if somebody can help change my mind!

Associate
Is the ASRock X570 Taichi really that good of a board? People seem to be snapping them up at the lower price elsewhere. Is it just for the extra value, or is it that good?

Soldato
In two minds what to do. I have my kit here, tomahawk b450, ram etc but thinking, for purely gaming, which is what I was doing this upgrade for..would the 9900k be a better investment?

Back
Top Bottom