• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
just taken me an hour to read the posts just from today lol :)

LOTS of opinions and arguments for and against AMD/Intel - surely at a minmum its a draw and decide if you want slighly cheaper and the odd FPS slower or slighly more dosh and pick your favourite benchmark to claim a victory. Its all good for competition and consumers

Associate
In two minds what to do. I have my kit here, tomahawk b450, ram etc but thinking, for purely gaming, which is what I was doing this upgrade for..would the 9900k be a better investment?

There is literally hardly anything between the low powered 3700x and the 9900k in gaming, a few %. And to get that few % you have to have much higher power usage, crap security and an old platform.
Quite why people want to go with the 9900k now is beyond me.
If the very last fps is so important then i would wait for the 3800k results, its surely going to be faster than the 3700k.

Don
There is literally hardly anything between the low powered 3700x and the 9900k in gaming, a few %. And to get that few % you have to have much higher power usage, crap security and an old platform.
If the very last fps is so important then i would wait for the 3800k results, its surely going to be faster than the 3700k.
Some people still game at 720p it seems.

Soldato
£379 3800x

£479 3900x

Man that 3900x is some grunt for the money! :D

Good times , good times indeed ! :D

I thought you said the 3800X would be £400? I believe you laughed at anyone suggesting a straight conversion.

Easiest prices to predict. My <£370 was a little off as the £ weakened over the last month by 2-3%, but is always around $ price converted + VAT.

In fact I think £379 is actually a couple of pounds below $399 + VAT at today's exchange rates.

Associate
Is the ASRock X570 Taichi really that good of a board? People seem to be snapping them up at the lower price elsewhere. Is it just for the extra value, or is it that good?

It's definitely a good board as it is, but at the discounted price (if honoured) it is an absolute steal. If it was not for the sale though I wouldn't have bought it as my original plan was to stick with my x370 Taichi.

Associate
This year I will finally buy new rig - curently on 2500k. Even for gaming I see no reason to go for 9900k. New apps and games will be beter optimised for high core CPUs and AMD chips will get only better also with more optimizations.

My favorite is 3900x (or maybe 3950x as I also run BOINC). It can handle all existing games just fine and will have no problem with new titles. Gap against 9900k in games is not noticeable and will just get smaller in next months.

Soldato
If you watch this video this guy says to get the most out of the R7 and up chips you need an x570 board.
Depends on what "get the most out of" means really. Sure, if you want PCIe 4.0 for instance. But TechPowerUp's testing showed zero difference between X470 and X570 in a pure CPU performance sense, even with the 3900X.

Soldato
Yeh , i really want to order the 3700x but in some benches the 9900k is 20-30 frames ahead. Think I'm gonna wait for 3800x reviews and see how they go!

Associate
I was hoping for more but AMD, Nvidia and Intel are all doing a great job of stopping me spending money.
Any progress is good I guess but no compelling reason to upgrade for at least a year. The 3600 seems the sweet spot in gaming.
I'd be annoyed if I'd bought a 1700 for general use and gaming then/or not then a 2700x and perhaps now a 3700X with a very incremental uptick in game performance.
What's the point in the same platform if pretty much everything else stays the same too? Yes it's better but the gains are small enough to mean
no it's not worth going from any Intel or AMD previous 8 core to 3700X/3900X if gaming is the main concern (Bulldozer excepted).
The 7700K benches vs all Zen2 are what most concerned me.

Back
Top Bottom