Value & worth

Caporegime
Here's one I did earlier!

This is one of those threads that can go in any direction. It could be emo, it could be funny, it could be educational. I shall provide the framework, you shall provide the direction. Let's have a bit of "mental gymnastics" as some call it (I suspect these people also use phrases like "moving forward", "touch base" and call copying someone in on an email "looping in", like an email is a lasso or something and you're a cow waiting to be looped in to their email chain or whatever). Anyway, I digress.

Let's talk about value. Time is a finite resource and since starting this new job a year ago I have a lot more free time than I did before. I earn a decent living and can afford to spend my time doing what I enjoy and paying a bit extra for conveniences. My wife however doesn't seem to grasp this concept yet and is happy to waste a Saturday driving 200 miles to a Robert Dyas in Coventry to save a fiver off a kettle. This obviously leads to arguments as my Saturdays are worth a hell of a lot more than that to me. This is probably a side effect of having worked 7 days a week almost every week for the two years I before I started this job. I'll happily spend a bit of money to have my house cleaned for me so I can enjoy my time off too, rather than spend a day a week hoovering and arguing about which wash the laundry needs to go on and don't put my dresses in with your jeans because you'll ruin them and the towels go on 60deg, not 90 dammit are you an idiot.

Anywho, as much as I'd like to try and quantify this and put a value on my time, the way I see it is as long as I can pay my bills, not stress about money and still enjoy life, I'm happy to spend more to live more.

I know we have a few on here who'd gladly spend a saturday cleaning and saving the money rather, so speak up and tell us your thoughts! We likely won't have any kids and you can't take it with you so we're enjoying it whilst we're still on this wretched planet full of morons.

What say you GD? Where are you going to take this adventure?

(I love how this post has been rather thought provoking yet a bit silly as well, and there's a rather subtle undertone of passive aggressiveness towards my fellow humans, this ties in well with the thought provoking stuff, I'd give it a 6.5/10 personally)

Caporegime
Thank god you won't have kids. Having you as a role model would likely end up with them taking heroin by age 12.

Also your wife sounds like a bag of fun. Enjoy the rest of eternity with her.

Caporegime
OP
Thank god you won't have kids. Having you as a role model would likely end up with them taking heroin by age 12.

Awwww, ray of sunshine mode engaged buddy? It’s ok, I still love you, both brain cells and all <3

Soldato
Well said, I wasted 20 minutes of my life last weekend talking to JWs (theyre still mental and still hate blood transfusions btw) I won't make that mistake again.

I hate cleaning and gardening and any DIY because I know my time can be better spent playing guitar or any other of my hobbies, unfortunately cleaning your house is something that has to be done, unless youre rich like Diddums ;)

Caporegime
OP
Well said, I wasted 20 minutes of my life last weekend talking to JWs (theyre still mental and still hate blood transfusions btw) I won't make that mistake again.

I hate cleaning and gardening and any DIY because I know my time can be better spent playing guitar or any other of my hobbies, unfortunately cleaning your house is something that has to be done, unless youre rich like Diddums ;)

Not rich, small house :D

Associate
Amazing. Diddums drivel and Psycho Sonny vitriol. Perfect for this morning where having decided to take the train I'm now 2.5hrs into a 1hr journey. So ticket worth £17.. value? Maybe a fiver given this level of service.

To answer Diddums' point (if there ever is one), he values his weekends differently than his wife does, presumably because going on that 4hr trip is all part of the journey for her in furnishing their home, while for him "it's just an ****** kettle".

I'd rather pay a cleaner any day of the week than do it myself, but I'm not in that position.

Soldato
I don't wash my car. I don't enjoy washing my car. I feel like it's a waste of my life.

I pay to get my car cleaned because I feel like that time is better spent doing other things that I could enjoy.

I probably haven't washed a car since I was a teenager - When I tell people this they react gobsmacked :p

At the end of the day, it's a boring chore that I would rather pay some people that do it on a regular basis to do it :p

Soldato
I think we all assign value in our certain ways. My wife thinks mine is bizarre because i'll happily spend £8 on a single can of beer or £1500 on a pair of speakers, but i'll begrudge paying £1 for a Mars bar in a corner shop because i know i could buy it cheaper somewhere else.

Likewise i'll happily pay a cleaner (and do) because i hate cleaning and it's a regular thing but i'd rather do my own painting than pay someone because i could do it myself and it's a one-off job.

Associate
I like to think of myself as quite a frugal person, but being frugal doesn't mean cheap. I will happily be frugal in certain apsects to save money so that I can spent a little more in other parts of my life (such as hobbies, e.g. having a 1080ti because I spend every day PC gaming)

As long as you have the money spare, and are still contributing to your savings, I say spend out on things that makes your life easier or gives you more time to enjoy your hobbies.

Commissario

Have you ever heard of the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" ?

Caporegime
OP
Amazing. Diddums drivel and Psycho Sonny vitriol. Perfect for this morning where having decided to take the train I'm now 2.5hrs into a 1hr journey. So ticket worth £17.. value? Maybe a fiver given this level of service.

Ah yes but you have some Diddums drivel to keep you entertained, whatcha whingin’ bout willis? :D

To answer Diddums' point (if there ever is one), he values his weekends differently than his wife does, presumably because going on that 4hr trip is all part of the journey for her in furnishing their home, while for him "it's just an ****** kettle”

Well, “just an ****** kettle” turned in to an impromptu weekend to Berlin instead, no kettle can match that amount of brownie points ;)

Man of Honour
Wow brutal from @Psycho Sonny :eek: :p :o

A= £value of each free hour
B = Number of free hours
C = Hours worked
D = Disposable income earned per hour worked

A = (C x D)/B

There, I’ve done it all for you, noobs. An absolutely foolproof equation that is immune to all scrutiny. So good I haven’t even checked it.

Soldato
Life is short and time is valuable , I was going to paint one of my bedrooms this week but a decorator was doing next door so I asked for a quote , it worked out more cost effective for me to do a few hours overtime and pay him to do it, it would have taken me a few days to paint it when 4 hrs o/t will cover the cost and it’ll look a lot better than my shoddy work plus I have more free time now to go and do something fun

Back
Top Bottom