Value & worth

Man of Honour
About 2.6m x 4.8m

Work involves priming, filling & sanding all woodwork (2 door frames, skirting, windowsill) , glossing and emulsion all walls

A few days work for me, a day for the decorator, I can do 5 hrs work and that covers all costs
I've tried using decorators in the past. But I find they don't finish work to the same standard I would do it myself. It's just a job to them. but it's a home to me.

Associate
I used to hate any sort of DIY, cleaning, gardening, etc. but that was because I didn't see any value in it. Now I live somewhere I actually like, I've spent countless hours in the garden, redecorating the entire house, and spend probably an hour a week cleaning (I used to be a cleaner so can quite happily and easily cover the usuals and less oftens in this time). I've also found that if you can combine "chores" with something you like, such as listening to music or podcasts, then you actually come to look forward to them.

I think if I had enough money I'd probably pay others to do some of the work but I get too much satisfaction in a job well done to just hand it all over.

Soldato
If you can afford to spend the money then go for it.

Otherwise your money saved will just go to pay for your old folks home care fees. It doesn't pay to overly save these days.

Caporegime
My wife however doesn't seem to grasp this concept yet and is happy to waste a Saturday driving 200 miles to a Robert Dyas in Coventry to save a fiver off a kettle. This obviously leads to arguments as my Saturdays are worth a hell of a lot more than that to me.

If she doesn't get the time aspect (which is partially subjective/personal and perhaps framed better in terms of utility) can you not just frame it in terms of the direct, tangible costs then? Like I'm pretty sure the petrol needed to take you 200 miles will be more than a fiver?

Maybe next time you fill up touch base with your wife and loop her in re: the costs here :)

Anywho, as much as I'd like to try and quantify this and put a value on my time, the way I see it is as long as I can pay my bills, not stress about money and still enjoy life, I'm happy to spend more to live more.

That's fair. That's also perhaps why money can buy happiness up to a point (was like 65k a year or something according to one study IIRC) - or rather (IMO) it removes (some of) the sources of unhappiness/stress found among lower income people.

Soldato
I’m currently sitting on a very cold floor at LAX airport, having sat here for several hours. Saved us $200 for a hotel we’d only have stayed in for a few hours, and I’d have had to pay a taxi there and back, so call it $250. To me, the discomfort is worth it as I’d have to do a fair bit of work to earn that money back, and we’d have less to spend at our destination. I’m sure many others would think we were crazy.

I agree with not spending $250 for a hotel in your situation, but for $50 each, you could have got into one of the airline lounges and enjoyed a buffet, drinks, an actual chair, a bathroom that’s been cleaned today and possibly a phone charging point.

Caporegime
The more time I spend trying to make myself comfortable the worse my mental health gets.

Still haven’t worked out how to spend my time productively though, and I feel it’s becoming a meme how hard everyone is meant to work with the JBP and Goggins generation.

Associate
Why do I get the feeling that all the people saying "my time is too valuable" are actually just spending that extra time procrastinating and trying to find something that gives them a sense of satisfaction?!

There's an argument for a heightened level of entitlement here too.

Though I will admit I'm purely just poking the bear saying this with no actual proof.

Soldato
Here's one I did earlier!

This is one of those threads that can go in any direction. It could be emo, it could be funny, it could be educational. I shall provide the framework, you shall provide the direction. Let's have a bit of "mental gymnastics" as some call it (I suspect these people also use phrases like "moving forward", "touch base" and call copying someone in on an email "looping in", like an email is a lasso or something and you're a cow waiting to be looped in to their email chain or whatever). Anyway, I digress.

Let's talk about value. Time is a finite resource and since starting this new job a year ago I have a lot more free time than I did before. I earn a decent living and can afford to spend my time doing what I enjoy and paying a bit extra for conveniences. My wife however doesn't seem to grasp this concept yet and is happy to waste a Saturday driving 200 miles to a Robert Dyas in Coventry to save a fiver off a kettle. This obviously leads to arguments as my Saturdays are worth a hell of a lot more than that to me. This is probably a side effect of having worked 7 days a week almost every week for the two years I before I started this job. I'll happily spend a bit of money to have my house cleaned for me so I can enjoy my time off too, rather than spend a day a week hoovering and arguing about which wash the laundry needs to go on and don't put my dresses in with your jeans because you'll ruin them and the towels go on 60deg, not 90 dammit are you an idiot.

Anywho, as much as I'd like to try and quantify this and put a value on my time, the way I see it is as long as I can pay my bills, not stress about money and still enjoy life, I'm happy to spend more to live more.

I know we have a few on here who'd gladly spend a saturday cleaning and saving the money rather, so speak up and tell us your thoughts! We likely won't have any kids and you can't take it with you so we're enjoying it whilst we're still on this wretched planet full of morons.

What say you GD? Where are you going to take this adventure?

(I love how this post has been rather thought provoking yet a bit silly as well, and there's a rather subtle undertone of passive aggressiveness towards my fellow humans, this ties in well with the thought provoking stuff, I'd give it a 6.5/10 personally)

WTF does she know how much 200 miles of petrol/diesel costs?

Yes I feel stretched for time sometimes. I used to commute 90 minutes each way. Recently bought my first place and it's now down to 45 minutes each way. Feels so much better. But I still struggle, want to spend most of my free time playing piano and sometimes feel like I have no time.

Soldato
I agree with not spending $250 for a hotel in your situation, but for $50 each, you could have got into one of the airline lounges and enjoyed a buffet, drinks, an actual chair, a bathroom that’s been cleaned today and possibly a phone charging point.

I would have done that, but I couldn’t find a 24hr one so it didn’t make much sense as our next flight leaves at 6am.

Back
Top Bottom