AMD x470, B450 motherboard on zen2

Caporegime
MSI drops functions from BIOS of AMD's 300 and 400 series motherboards to support Ryzen 3000

Now I say MSI here, but this will not be specific towards MSI as all manufacturers have to deal with it. Remember a while ago when we mentioned that Ryzen 3000 procs might not be supported on Series 300 and 400 motherboards due to a too small BIOS storage size?

Well, here's the thing, quickly after that discussion surfaced, AMD and the motherboard manufacturers swiftly declared Ryzen 3000 support.

Here's the thing (2), the old BIOS EPROM sizes are 16MB. You can only store that much data on it. Over the years more and more procs and memory has been added and at one point, it's stuffed. You have to say that this problem is more apparent for AMD as they have a ******** of processors for socket AM4, and that is now working against them.The X570 motherboards all have a 32MB BIOS EPROM to store data, so that's save as it's doubled up right?

MSI now has explained on their website how they will bring Ryzen 3000 support towards say certain Series 300 chipsets, simply put .. you can't have it all. So they have removed older (aging) processors from the new firmware and added Ryzen series 3000 processors. Next, to that, a number of features have been scrapped. A-series and Athlon processors from the 28nm Bristol Ridge generation are no longer supported in the firmware. In addition, the possibility for SATA raid has been removed and has been replaced by a worse, but smaller option as well as very slim GUI UEFI interface.

This applies specifically to MSI's boards however other manufacturers also use a 16 MB bios chip, so they will have to make choices as well. All is not a biggy for most people of course.

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/m...eries_motherboards_to_support_ryzen_3000.html

Associate
good news for those who didnt bought b450 motherboards yet new batch will have 32mb rom:
New BIOS device and Lite BIOS

QUOTE:
"Existing models with X470, B450 and even A320 chipsets will also be redesigned to support the new Ryzen processors. These models will henceforth be sold under the label "Max". The reason: The storage space of the BIOS chip of the older motherboards is not enough to fully absorb the list of new CPUs. The new Max models are therefore shipped with a larger BIOS component.(see link below there is a picture of new boards with 32mb rom) Of course, that does not really bring much to those who have already bought such a board. For them, MSI will release a space-saving Lite BIOS to ensure compatibility with the new Ryzen processors.

However, MSI also points out that the power and voltage supply of the old motherboards should be sufficiently dimensioned for the new CPUs. In general, the X370 and B350 boards were designed for CPUs with a TDP of 95 W, while the X470 and B450 boards were designed for 105 W TDP. Overclocking is therefore only recommended for high-end boards."
UNQUOTE

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...n-von-msi.html

Associate
This scared the bejaysus out of me.
With the delay possible of Ryzen 3000 / 2070 Super being dispatched.
Just cancelled my B450 Tomahawk order.

Without a board on order currently.

Anyone know of the delay this puts on B450 ?

I might change onto X570.

Associate
Hhhhmmm wondering wether i should buy a MSI B450 I Gaming now
The CPUs still supported in the beta BIOS still seem pretty decent to me:
ryzen-3000-20190705-4.jpg

https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard

Associate
So what's the above article all about ?
It's like a simple guide on what to do if you've got an AM4 MSI motherboard.

I thought msi were having issue implementing the bios ?
Not sure, but could well be. In the same article it states the beta BIOS is only "Click BIOS version (GSE Lite) with less graphics and icons than Click BIOS 5", but they may just be doing this to not waste space on unnecessary graphics. I've no idea what features are missing from beta BIOS (if any), but looks like it's just a simplified UI. I think the simpler look actually looks better in the below pic. Not got an MSI motherboard, so can't I comment on how it functions.
ryzen-3000-20190705-1.png

Associate
To be honest, it's a price I'm willing to pay. I don't spend enough time in the bios to give two hoots about what it looks like, and it doesn't seem as if there are any major performance related issues, at least none that I really care about.

Associate
To be honest, it's a price I'm willing to pay. I don't spend enough time in the bios to give two hoots about what it looks like, and it doesn't seem as if there are any major performance related issues, at least none that I really care about.

So is it still working just lacking in features for bios ? I wont be doing much with the bios anyway to hoping for plig and play really

Associate
Well ive just purchased a Msi B450I itx board and also getting them to flash the bios for me so i can at least get the cpu running, hopefully theres no real performance issues.

Soldato
I was looking to get a Ryzen 3600 CPU and a MSI Tomahawk, but after reading posts from people having trouble getting Ryzen 3000 CPUs to post, I think I might as well just wait until B550 boards come out. I just hope that the B550 boards don't also have the similar crazy pricing the X570 boards do...

I wonder if Gigabyte, Asus and ASRock have fared any better when it comes to BIOS updates for Ryzen 3000 on 450/470 boards.

Soldato
This topic is good timing.
Built my system on Friday night (flashed it on Thursday) and it booted ok after a few power cable and OSI layer 8 issues. All worked ok for about 2 hours and then it crashed while I was away from my desk. After that, it just wouldn't post to bios at all - with a static red CPU light on the EZDebug / MB.

I spent ~5 hours in the OCUK HQ today with David/Dave kindly trying my kit (3600, Vega64, 4x3200 RAM, and a Tomahawk) in various other test machines and all worked ok. My kit was rebuilt back together and it worked fine! But for me, it just wasn't doing anything. Strange thing is that my setup got random screenshots of color (full screen yellow, purple, green, blue but with the windows background still visible - mouse included) which David couldn't be diagnosed - and was suggested to be potentially something more fundamental or maybe just a plain 'simple' compatibility issue.

OCUK moved me onto a Gigabyte X470 (cheers!) but this MB doesn't like any more than 16GB of Memory now (I have 64gb to use). 4x4 are ok, 2x8 is ok, 1x16 ok, but anything else and it doesn't post to bios.
Both of us were hoping that my issues were a simple RMA job but we seem to have found something else. Dont regret getting the 3600 yet but id advise checking other experiences and proceeding with caution. Great customer service from OCUK again! top notch.

Associate
Ugh, I'm not waiting 5 months for a B550, I want a 3900x system within a month and I haven't a clue which motherboard to get. It looks like an expensive x570 and that annoying fan is the only choice. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom