Value & worth

Soldato
My wife decided to get a cleaner a few months ago, at first I hated the idea and said we'd do it, but my time is much more valuable to me than a few quid so now think it's a great idea.
She still likes to go shopping though, which is my idea of hell, especially when I can have it delivered straight to the door for next to nothing.

Caporegime
One of the many great aspects of having kids. They do all of these chores for you. In exchange for gifts. In essence cheap child labour while also teaching them a lesson in the value of money. :p she does the dishes, hangs out the washing, hoovering etc. In exchange for her phone contract, Xbox live, games, new phones etc.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Getting a cleaner was a great idea, saves me having to worry over those cores that I CBA with e.g cleaning the shower, dusting, hovering, cleaning the blinds, the list goes on. I still have to keep on top of the kitchen by that's expected.

I managed to get myself into a position where I WFH all the time now, which I find has allowed me extra time to enjoy my hobbies. I can go to the gym on my lunch 5 days a week, so when it comes to 5.30 I simply step out of my office and spend time with my son until he's in bed by 7. A few evenings a week the wife is working late so I have 2-3 hours to myself to again enjoy hobbies.

We both get paid well (She works from home as well) and so we spend weekends enjoying ourselves. Sometimes that involves shopping, but many weekends we are doing trips and doing stuff with my family.

What I'm trying to say is I value my time a lot and so I've geared my life towards maximising my time to enjoy things. It wasn't always this way, when I was commuting or working over seas and my wife was working mobile, and didn't have her home salon.

Caporegime
Good thread, Diddums :)

I think we have an unspoken rule at home regarding value and worth. We have a cleaner who does an amazing job for us; we pay her $20 an hour and she works for 5 hours each week, cleaning, ironing, and making our home tidy. She's worth $100 because we value the time it frees up so that we can do other things instead. This is probably an easy example because we value our time at significantly more than $20 an hour. When it comes to material things, I'll buy the best that I can reasonably afford even, or perhaps especially, when it is more expensive than the next best thing if the additional cost has worth. Suits and shoes are good examples where spending a touch more on quality items has a greater net outcome than spending a little less for worse quality.

This has nothing to do with "you can't take it with you, put your house on black lol" and more to do with "what's a balanced way of implementing financial literacy".

Caporegime
Clearly this is a Diddums impression of a Magnolia thread ;)

But talking of value, I need to get to grips with my monthly service payments. Sky and Talktalk are literally bending me over right now and they sure as hell don't offer enough value to be worth the asking price.

Caporegime
Good thread, Diddums :)

I think we have an unspoken rule at home regarding value and worth. We have a cleaner who does an amazing job for us; we pay her $20 an hour and she works for 5 hours each week, cleaning, ironing, and making our home tidy. She's worth $100 because we value the time it frees up so that we can do other things instead. This is probably an easy example because we value our time at significantly more than $20 an hour. When it comes to material things, I'll buy the best that I can reasonably afford even, or perhaps especially, when it is more expensive than the next best thing if the additional cost has worth. Suits and shoes are good examples where spending a touch more on quality items has a greater net outcome than spending a little less for worse quality.

This has nothing to do with "you can't take it with you, put your house on black lol" and more to do with "what's a balanced way of implementing financial literacy".
This just seems fundamentally wrong to me

Like it's one step away from paying somebody to wipe your arse because you've got better things to do than take care of that...

Disabled people having stuff done for them is fine. Able bodied people who just don't want to tidy up their own messes? I can't dig that.

You don't want to keep your own home tidy so you pay someone else to do it for you?

Just strikes me as fundamentally wrong.

Caporegime
Your example is crude but probably stands up. Yes, we pay someone who enjoys being paid to do something we don't want to do ourselves. She spends some time doing that and gets paid for it and we do something else with the time it frees up. I don't imagine the concept of employment is a new one to you?

Caporegime
Your example is crude but probably stands up. Yes, we pay someone who enjoys being paid to do something we don't want to do ourselves. She spends some time doing that and gets paid for it and we do something else with the time it frees up. I don't imagine the concept of employment is a new one to you?
But you don't feel that, you know, keeping your house tidy is your responsibility? I get that you don't enjoy it. I don't really think many people do.

Also 5 hours of cleaning a week... do you have a mansion? That's a lot of cleaning. Ironing a week's worth of clothes takes about an hour... so that's 3-4 hours of general cleaning and tidying...

Does the cleaner do your dishes? Clothes washing? Scrub the loo?

Caporegime
But you don't feel that, you know, keeping your house tidy is your responsibility? I get that you don't enjoy it. I don't really think many people do.

Also 5 hours of cleaning a week... do you have a mansion? That's a lot of cleaning. Ironing a week's worth of clothes takes about an hour... so that's 3-4 hours of general cleaning and tidying...

My responsibility? Perhaps but the point being that it happens, not who makes it happen. We have a large house, yes, and it is a lot of cleaning. The ironing takes about an hour or so and the other 4 hours cover the rest of the cleaning. She might do a few breakfast dishes if we don't get to them ourselves, she doesn't put the washing machine on unless we ask her to, and yes she scrubs the loos in both bathrooms.

Open to any other very specific questions you may have :)

Soldato

It is our responsibility, but we've chosen to pay someone else to do it. We have 350 people in our office, and we could ask them to clean the office surfaces, floors, windows and toilets too, but it is better for us to hire somebody else to do it. Why should my house be any different?

Our cleaner will do washing (well, load and unload the dishwasher) if we want, but we just ask her for general cleaning. And yes, she does clean the toilets and bathrooms.

Caporegime
It is our responsibility, but we've chosen to pay someone else to do it. We have 350 people in our office, and we could ask them to clean the office surfaces, floors, windows and toilets too, but it is better for us to hire somebody else to do it. Why should my house be any different?

Our cleaner will do washing (well, load and unload the dishwasher) if we want, but we just ask her for general cleaning. And yes, she does clean the toilets and bathrooms.
Are you asking me why your own home is different to your workplace? Genuinely asking me that?

Or why having company staff clean the company office is different to you or I cleaning our own home?

Because the answers to those questions would seem to be self-evident.

Soldato
Are you asking me why your own home is different to your workplace? Genuinely asking me that?

Or why having company staff clean the company office is different to you or I cleaning our own home?

Because the answers to those questions would seem to be self-evident.

It seemed to be a simple analogy, as you were having difficulty understanding why someone would pay to have a cleaner provide cleaning services in their home. I'll try and find something simpler next time, but until then, why are you so opposed to it?

Associate
I don't wash my car. I don't enjoy washing my car. I feel like it's a waste of my life.

I pay to get my car cleaned because I feel like that time is better spent doing other things that I could enjoy.

I probably haven't washed a car since I was a teenager - When I tell people this they react gobsmacked :p

At the end of the day, it's a boring chore that I would rather pay some people that do it on a regular basis to do it :p

I just don't wash my car, if its already dirty then it can't get dirty again =D

Man of Honour
Open to any other very specific questions you may have :)

In one of your forum signatures you appear to be kissing a woman ( un-drugged and not resisting )

Is this a clever photoshop ?

EDIT - re-read and adding the disclaimer that i like Mags as was not implying anything other than as joke.

Screen shotted and printed out, have sent a copy to my personal defence lawyer just in case

Last edited:
Caporegime
In one of your forum signatures you appear to be kissing a woman ( un-drugged and not resisting )

Is this a clever photoshop ?

EDIT - re-read and adding the disclaimer that i like Mags as was not implying anything other than as joke.

Screen shotted and printed out, have sent a copy to my personal defence lawyer just in case
Michael Cera is kissing Justin Timberlake right on the mouth. i think you made this for me :heart:

Caporegime
Maybe he hates cleaners and wants to see them all unemployed :D
Maybe I should join the millennials and hire someone to wipe my butt, clean my teeth, bathe me. Whilst I spend my oh-so-valuable time Tweeting about Facebook posts on my waterproof phone.

Frankly I don't care about what Mags and Abyss do. I just couldn't hire someone to clean my house for me. I'd consider that a dereliction of my own duties. Either I clean up after myself, or I live in filth, or somewhere in between. Getting someone else to clean my messes is... what's the word... not "cheating" but a sentiment somewhere between cheating and dereliction of duty as said.

As kids our parents always used to say to us, "If you make a mess you clean it up." As adults paying someone to clean up after me would really feel like I was escaping the consequences of my actions unfairly.

Call it a hang-up if you like. I can't be the only one here who feels like that?

Having said that, I read today that something like 50% of 20-30 year olds now pay cleaners to do the housework. 50%. That surprised me.

Caporegime
Maybe I should join the millennials and hire someone to wipe my butt, clean my teeth, bathe me. Whilst I spend my oh-so-valuable time Tweeting about Facebook posts on my waterproof phone.

Frankly I don't care about what Mags and Abyss do. I just couldn't hire someone to clean my house for me. I'd consider that a dereliction of my own duties. Either I clean up after myself, or I live in filth, or somewhere in between. Getting someone else to clean my messes is... what's the word... not "cheating" but a sentiment somewhere between cheating and dereliction of duty as said.

As kids our parents always used to say to us, "If you make a mess you clean it up." As adults paying someone to clean up after me would really feel like I was escaping the consequences of my actions unfairly.

Call it a hang-up if you like. I can't be the only one here who feels like that?

Having said that, I read today that something like 50% of 20-30 year olds now pay cleaners to do the housework. 50%. That surprised me.
Straight question: do you live at home with your mum?

Back
Top Bottom