• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Totally not worth going mad with expensive ram then. :cool:

its bad amd put 3600C16 as a price/perf sweet spot when it has close performance as much cheaper 3200C14.

Where lower latency helps is when you have i/o that isnt VRAM and doesnt fit in cpu cache. How much it helps is then dependent on how much that i/o is a bottleneck, in most cases the benefits are very limited even to the point its not noticeable by a lot of people. Even in my own examples of lightning returns which is a kind of best case scenario for lower latency ram with its constant asset flushes, I wouldnt justify spending an extra fortune on ram for it, tweak your ram for it by all means but not spending the best parts of £100 on it.

If you have workloads where you get lots of bursty small in memory uncachable i/o at a high rate, thats the optimal scenario for lower latency memory access. There is not a whole lot of workloads covering that scenario.

Sadly that review is flawed like many others, done lazily as usual, there is no min frame rates to assess stutters on the game testing, which is odd as thats the area lower latency ram helps the most in games, its a tremendous oversight to then not test it.

Soldato
I've tried ripping some CDs with my 3700X. How long would it normally take? Seems to be about 20secs per track but doesn't seem to stress the CPU at all. Using an external drive switching between USB 3 and C didn't make any difference. Just the read time from the disc bottlenecking it?

Associate
Nice. Problem is they contradict OcUK's own testing (one of us) which showed the 3600MHz C16 had higher minimums. Cant find the thread now (or post) but it's on the boards somewhere.

3600 CL14 is better but it will take a good die like B-die. Unfortunately, prices of ram just recently went up. So, even 3200 CL14 is expensive since it is B-die. You'll end up with 3000 or 3200 CL16. O'cing it isn't gonna help much cos of loose timing. Popularity of Ryzen must have raised the prices of DDR4.

Soldato
I've tried ripping some CDs with my 3700X. How long would it normally take? Seems to be about 20secs per track but doesn't seem to stress the CPU at all. Using an external drive switching between USB 3 and C didn't make any difference. Just the read time from the disc bottlenecking it?

The read speed of the CD is absolutely the bottleneck.

Caporegime

Are you from the past? :D

Soldato
That is a very 90's thing to do ^^^^ :D

Today we have Spotify, everything is on there...
Until it's not on there due to a rights dispute. If you don't buy a physical disc or have your own file, you don't own it.

Happened the other day, wanted to watch something on Netflix that I'd seen on there before. Nope, not there any more. Buying BDs and UHD BDs and ripping them to a local media server is the way to go.

Caporegime
Until it's not on there due to a rights dispute. If you don't buy a physical disc or have your own file, you don't own it.

Happened the other day, wanted to watch something on Netflix that I'd seen on there before. Nope, not there any more. Buying BDs and UHD BDs and ripping them to a local media server is the way to go.

Good point, i still have all my CDs, in 3 20L boxes in a cupboard with an inch of dust on them, i don't think i'll ever get rid, i'm turning into my Dad, he still has boxes of all his vinyls collecting dust.

Soldato
seems 3600 has risen in price in just over a week , £188 to £200 ... thought gibbo stated it would hold for a lot longer then that (trying to find the post) but they have mentioned so many 3600 orders and stocks getting a little thin...

3900x can understand and surprised hasnt gone up to be honest

Prices have gone up on the 3600. No longer £189.
Was waiting until today to place my order too, mainly for the free next day delivery.

@Gibbo - guessing 3600 is at such a high demand then ?

Soldato
seems 3600 has risen in price in just over a week , £188 to £200 ... thought gibbo stated it would hold for a lot longer then that (trying to find the post) but they have mentioned so many 3600 orders and stocks getting a little thin...

3900x can understand and surprised hasnt gone up to be honest

@Gibbo - guessing 3600 is at such a high demand then ?

There aren't any 3900X in the country to put the price up on :(

Soldato
There aren't any 3900X in the country to put the price up on :(

supply and demand, more and more ordering - harder for ocuk to get stock so pricing in theory would shoot up. like every intel chip does at launch. THOUGH glad to see this isn't the case ! yet! but seeing 3600 entry Zen2 rise a little ...

ram also increased before likes of various ram vendors put up List price by 5%-7% for the amount of ryzen systems being ordered

Back
Top Bottom