• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
That's the 3200 kit, currently on offer
Have a look at Ballistix Sport 2x16GB. Mine runs 3600MHz cl16 with no tinkering, sure it will do well when I've got time to really test it.
I had a kit of crucial 2400 a while back and it didn't want to OC at all from what i remember, guess it's still luck. Either that or just buy the speed i want, but in this case the 16GB same price as the 32GB just 400mhz difference.

Soldato
That's the 3200 kit, currently on offer

I had a kit of crucial 2400 a while back and it didn't want to OC at all from what i remember, guess it's still luck. Either that or just buy the speed i want, but in this case the 16GB same price as the 32GB just 400mhz difference.

Yep the 3200MHz kit. Not enough difference from my 8pack kit to notice a difference and half the price. If say 90% of the performance. If you're a benchmarker you'll want 8Pack otherwise I'd take the extra quantity.

Soldato
The MSI B450 Tomahawk has problems:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ch9qud/msi_livestream_conclusion/

MSI LiveStream Conclusion
renderTimingPixel.png

• B450 Tomahawk will stay on GSI Lite and will not recieve the Click Bios 5 again, at least for Ryzen 3000 Series and upcoming. Users of 1000/2000 Series should stay on their BIOS.

• GSI Lite BIOS will not going to have OC profiles again. Update: They are looking into it. No promise. Quote: " ***MSI Gaming:*** just checking some bios release note, OC Profiles might be back in future GSE-Lite bioses "

• MSI is *now* aware of the problems regarding the Tomahawk and CPU Debug light issues and will investigate that problem. They hopefully have some new Infos next week, but no promise.

• "Old" B450 MB (including Tomahawk) will have Ryzen support until 2020 (?)

• If you just bought any B450 Board, you should return it and buy a MAX board instead. Its more "futureproof" for upcoming BIOS updates and its no hassle with Ryzen 3000 Series. (Official statement on livestream from MSI, wow.) Timestamp on stream: 1:40:29, you can watch it here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_elcRHeVjI

• After i asked this question: "Will there be an option to RMA an not working B450 Tomahawk and recieve an B450 Tomahawk MAX (maybe with additional charge) ?" They closed the stream. Quote: " ***MSI Gaming:*** Sorry it seems the stream dropped, anyway we are out fixing your Tomahawk issues. thanks for joining this was the last topic anyway. Thanks for joining and see you next week, hope to have an update on Tomahawk... no promise."

Associate
Have a look at Ballistix Sport 2x16GB. Mine runs 3600MHz cl16 with no tinkering, sure it will do well when I've got time to really test it.

I got 2x16 gigs. But the ultimate plan to to get another 2x16 for 64 gig. A

Is there an issue on the asrock taichi running 4 dimms?

Be lame if I couldn't take advantage of 4 slots

Caporegime

The Taichi, and probably all X570 boards struggle with 4 dual rank DIMMS at high frequency. There are 16GB single rank DIMMS but most are dual.

Having said that it's not awful, I've got my 4x16GB DR upto 3000mhz stable so far.

Associate

The T-Topology on the x570 Taichi is actually beneficial for using four dimms - check out Buildzoid's video on the x570 Taichi for more info on this.

Associate
I was going to go down the 9900k route but ordered the 3700x and asus viii hero today with a few more bits. Haven’t used amd since the opteron 146

Soldato
Exactly what i was saying. Go 3200 CL16 or anything cheaper. Now, tightening the cas is possible but not guaranteed.

Yep silicon lottery, but it saves you a ton of cash, so worth risking on that one in my view.

People go on about X chips been a waste of cash, then go and buy premium priced ram sticks. Its like facepalm.

Associate

It's a really great kit. (for clarification it's the Ballistix Sport LT)

3200MHz CL16 out the box and mine happily went to 3733MHz with the same timings (16-18-18-18) @ 1.42v. From what I've seen these tend to be great overclockers across the board.

1 hour Aida64 stress test and overnight with Memtest, no problems.

Soldato
Has anyone ever tried downclocking b-die whilst tightening timings?
I can see that there is CL9 2400MHz DDR3, but not seen anything near for DDR4.
Would be worth a test, surely?

yes I have done that on my intel rig.

The board wont let me run at stock clocks with 4 dimms populated, so I ended up dropping cas on lower timings.

My ram is 3200CL14, I am running at 3000CL12. It is b-die. The latency of this config is lower than 3200CL14.

Soldato
My 3700x should work to it's full potential on my current x370 board right?

Theoretically it should, depends on if the latest Asus bios is a load of arse or not. :p
Actually, the 350/370 platforms dont support XFR2 i dont think, that handy-capped them for even 2000 series processors.
It'll still work, but not to its 'fullest'.

Last edited:
Any ideas if this latest MSI BIOS issue will affect the Tomahawk MAX? I was planning on that as my fallback if the Carbon AC doesn't get the MAX treatment in the next few weeks, and then just adding a PCIE wifi adapter. Now even that looks in doubt. MSI really are doing their best to **** me off.

Associate
System has been stable for 2 days solid, gaming, coding etc and then this morning complete system shutdown whilst playing final fantasy online, could be the game as its new to me but I have turned off PBO for the time being whilst bioses improve.

Lets hope it was a one off

Back
Top Bottom