• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Is that such surprise? You have a 'mainstream'/performance consumer CPU that is cannibalising/offsetting the bottom of the HEDT stack; at a price point that is far more accessible?

I for one know at least one buyer who is grabbing one of these, because he uses his system for a combination of gaming, personal use, and professional use. HEDT was out of his reach, but this is perfect, and makes far more sense than a 9900K for his usage and will probably last him a good few years.

Given the previous prices for similar cores and performance from Intel, I don't really see it as a surprise; this was a massive launch for many reasons.
You've hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of people who game and also do much more where they can take advantage of the extra cores. Five years ago this kind of processing power cost ~£4,000 and if left to Intel we would probably not see this much power in a mainstream CPU for many years.

Soldato
And the thing is, AMD will no doubt move the HEDT goalposts shortly, we have 16 core coming in prosumer/consumer desktop later this year, albeit the price on that one will move it out oft he reach of more than the 3900X, but I also expect that will still also sell like relative bananas, due again to this moving the goalpost of what is possible on a consumer platform.

HEDT will continue to be another tier above, but the key difference here is what is achievable on a sub £1000/1500 machine. Before now, you wouldnt get the 12C CPU alone from Intel at that price, now you will be able to build an entire platform, making this FAR more attractive to consumers/prosumers who want to do more than just game, but don't want to tread into the realm of £1000-2000+ CPUs and HEDT platforms and motherboards.

This is why this launch is so massive; it changes the goalposts for the target audience, as well as bring new technology, higher performance etc out the box. Yes, the cost of X570 motherboards hasn't helped, but realistically, the boards start ~£150 should you chose to (and many cheap X570 are pretty comparable VRM and build quality wise to a mid-tier X470/B450, which if nothing else should help increase system lifespan - better power electronics, lower chance of board failure!), even if many are far more expensive, and a 3700x and X570 board combined, are available for the same price as the 9900K was selling for just a few weeks ago. All the whilst consuming less power.

Close in gaming, leading in workstation loads. This is a game changer for so many people. Indirectly it is also bringing more performance to lower priced segments, look at the pricecuts on the older gen tech! Not too long ago a quad core i5 was £150-200, you can now happily grab 8 core or higher performance 6 core there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my replacement today. To say i am less than happy . Especially with the price cuts and i have not even built my yet becouse they can not even get things delivered un damageg. aboluttly descusted with Overclockers!!! well its more dpd i supose but surley overclockers have systems in place to stop this happening like this? will the third one turn up un dammaged? doubtfull with their current sucssess rate
r
tenor.gif

so sorry dude but I had to.

Associate
Got my replacement today. To say i am less than happy . Especially with the price cuts and i have not even built my yet becouse they can not even get things delivered un damageg. aboluttly descusted with Overclockers!!! well its more dpd i supose but surley overclockers have systems in place to stop this happening like this? will the third one turn up un dammaged? doubtfull with their current sucssess rate

WP_20190724_005 by rallyslag, on Flickr

Mate you been watching too much Anne Robinson, the staff at DPD are to blame here, how can you be descusted at OC

Associate
If you read the whole post i say its mainly dpd to blame. Unless of course it was damaged on its way to overclockers. Who knows?

I just wanted to shoe horn in a comment about Anne Robertson, I feel your pain though, once a driver called keith at parcel force took 2 weeks to deliver a motherboard becuase it was "busy"

I suspect you also have a "keith"

Associate
Tempted to get new mobo, want wireless, is there anyway to get around re-installing windows? And also need one that has an update for destiny 2.

Will this mobo

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-16u-ak.html

Be good for future and also does it have wifi? Says something about atenna

According to the specifications that motherboard does not have in built WiFi. It has an M.2 (Key E) slot but the WiFi module is not included, so you’d have to purchase that separately. You can get away with not reinstalling Windows, even if your current installation BSOD’s you can use the upgrade or repair process to ‘fix’ it. But if you’re going that far it’s better to do a fresh install. If you backup the data and settings for all the apps you use it’s a fairly painless process.​

Last edited:
Associate
Like what system ?? To my post room DAILY i get 3-5 smashed up deliveries coming in. It's normal You are just Unlucky. Some states of boxes that show up from DHL or parcelforce like bunch of wild animals tried to get meat out of it.

DHL are the absolute worst, they smashed up a pre-built I had delivered years ago, not just once, but twice. I begged the seller not to use them, as they already had this reputation, but they said that they had a 'contract'. Well, that contract ended up costing them over two and a half grand!

Absolute dumpster fire of a company, I wouldn't use them, and unfortunately DPD seem to be trying to emulate their delivery practices! Sure, they deliver fast, but they also seem to drop your parcels like it's 1943 and they're trying to bomb Berlin!

DHL are the absolute worst, they smashed up a pre-built I had delivered years ago, not just once, but twice. I begged the seller not to use them, as they already had this reputation, but they said that they had a 'contract'. Well, that contract ended up costing them over two and a half grand!

Absolute dumpster fire of a company, I wouldn't use them, and unfortunately DPD seem to be trying to emulate their delivery practices! Sure, they deliver fast, but they also seem to drop your parcels like it's 1943 and they're trying to bomb Berlin!
Can't say that I had any issues with my delivery today, though where are my Haribos?

Associate
I've started my upgrade path with the following ordered

phanteks Eclipse P600S (white)
various WC bits and bobs.

Not been sent because one tiny 5mm extension is out of stock. Seriously ****** off about that. Will have to cancel order as I’m away for a long weekend so wouldn’t come till Friday at the earliest now.

still be buy

Radeon 5700XT
R9 3900x

Which I’m now considering buying elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom