ATX in Silverstone's ITX RVZ 03- ***full water and dual 240's ??

Soldato
Hemnes - Because my wife upgraded our whole living room to Ikea Hemnes and this is where my PC will sit

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemnes-desk-white-10402412/

Now, most will know I have a Dynamic case and it will fit in the cupboard if i unscrew the door , put it in and reattach . My wife in her glory rejected removing the back panel.... so ... I need something that can sit on the desk, be small and be pretty... hence the Silverstone RVZ 03

And so it begins ! Like most Gamer's I own an ATX sized motherboard, which is/was a flagship model housed in a Large ATX case . Until recently with the release of Gigabytes X570 Aorus ITX board , ITX boards were normally a fraction in terms of VRM and spec's compared to their ATX counterparts. Asus do have the Impact Range but availability and cost put most people off and used cheaper models.

Currently ITX sales are dwarfed by the number of ATX sized boards sold so naturally this is where board vendors would invest the most in . I can understand this but unfortunately ATX cases are all large and space wasted /unused/unwanted .

Currently there are only 2 ATX cases on the market that can give ITX/mATX cases a run for their money in the sizing department;

Thermaltake G3 -23 litres
Sliger Cerberus X - 20 Liters

Both, which can't hold my current GPU- The Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme . The card is a Triple slot GPU and I thought about moving to an ITX format but only to cases came to mind - Neo G Mini and Sliger 570M . One just didn't do it for me and the other is too expensive due to weak pound .
So, in steps Sliverstones RVZ 03 case !

I worked out, along with some research into HDPlex H2 case that indeed a ATX motherboard can fit into the 'chassis' of the RVZ 03 along with a SFX PSU . And luckily enough, Silverstone Tek has helped out .

Hopefully this will show with a few slight tooling tweaks, they could produce the smallest ATX mass Produced case on the market that can house a Triple slot GPU along side a 240mm AIO/CLC!

Will try to attempt to tidy this post up and get the thread looking a bit more - Pro Mod like when I get the chance but 3rd child is inbound in 7 weeks time!

@Plec @tamzzy , case should be delivered in next few mins!

Soldato
OP
Plan and Planning :

Idea and current plan was to rotate the PSU 90 dregree and mount to the floor of the chassis . Working with a guesstimate I knew it would be out by a few mm and chassis would needed to be cut and cables budging into the front fascia... but looks like i was a little off

22/08/2019

ITX is 170mm x 170mm, ATX is 306mm x 244mm

U7OYS2t.jpg

just shout by 15mm - so again, cutting a hole in the front of the chassis will allow the mobo and psu to fit next to each other

rough guide
aEZbjDy.jpg

close up! tried plugging cables in, and DAMN! Sliverstone cables are flexible ! but all in, extra 18mm added to the length of the PSU

05NYUaM.jpg

27/08/19

3D CAD - concept and spacing

ATX and SFX Placement . can see front of the chassis will need to be cut to allow SFX to sit flush with ATX and room for cables to bulge

ocIQAcQ.jpg

X470/X570 & Z390 Aorus boards have their 24 Pin higher up the board so shouldn't class with Power Cable

aFt7ObO.jpg

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £116.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Dual Slot GPU and thin 240mm radiator and Silverstone 15mm fans Placement

OhBeg2w.jpg

fzXpbhw.jpg

Used XSPC 20.5mm slim rad - silverstone TD02-Slim is 22mm * didn't have any in stock for sponsorship and they are expensive and rare *
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=597&bno=40&tb=21&area=en

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/91685-silverstone-tundra-td02-slim/

qumEM31.jpg

Because i know @Plec loves RGB - might have to get these !! But again, low stock!
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=829&bno=56&tb=101&area=en

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £15.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

HR36BL0.jpg

will have to sort out shading/rendering but work computer crashes if quality is set any higher . But placed 240 quite high up - doe this to keep ports to the edges, keep VRM cool and then avoid SFX as much as possible . all depends if i go Plexi cover or not

hsO0qHg.jpg

lmf7WEy.jpg

its tight !

HkKrH2P.jpg

28/08/19 - GPU placement

Pondering on ideas of how i can hold the GPU in place as well as being flipped so fans are on show... then realised in the current ATX I have used Cooler Masters Vertical GPU mount and its almost perfect

lf9Ve7X.jpg

5iYTyJ3.jpg

it measures in at 120mm vs cases 105mm so come trimming will be needed . Can mount to top mounting whole that held original GPU bracket and then via the grill vent at the bottom .

UqQHOYh.jpg

BFxGSs0.jpg

Height is perfect , triple slot GPU just sits a little lower then case top - what ever that may be

NyA9JQJ.jpg

DiFPSWM.jpg

Yep- Power cord need to be moved or some fancy cutting

as a note, case will always be in vertical position, so not to fussed with sag onto the mobo

Rough Placement of GPU and SFX with mobo mounted
wWH66x4.jpg

Bottom of the case should allow 3x 92mm x 14/25mm Noctua fans to be installed as intake to increase Positive pressure and carry on the ethos of silverstone heat rise design

PsbY9Or.jpg

The top is looking questionable for any exhaust fans. maybe one 92mm at the top right but might just let physics do its thing naturally and hot air escape out the top with pressure

04/09/19 * installed- now the body work

U2jezED.jpg

QVKezHh.jpg

ozJfTV5.jpg

Easiest Solution - Acquire another set of top and bottom fascia panels , cut down the gap needed and glue on ! Use modders mess between the Front fascia to the side panel and 'Blag' as an air intake/exhaust!

onto the Rad clearance

U7cV8Yc.jpg

Not sure when @GIGA-Man Aorus AIO's are inbound but would look damn good on the CPU.. the rad and fan... in the bin ! Pro Copper me and they are too fat! XSPC 140mm 20mm thick rad over the PSU area and sorted ! will just Cut current metal panel for now!

actually ... the ram is taller then the SFX... JUST! - might have to go!

EcWj4Lt.jpg

12/09/19

Ventilation ! As I intend to keep with the cases design of Positive pressure, the amount of heat being dumped inside will be big so needing to allow Hot air to escape out the top quicker as well as being taken in from the bottom.

Plan to Cut the Middle strip on both the Top and Bottom panels as well as the 'arrow' section on the front panel and replace with mesh.

NY2gaLa.jpg

gwyxVIr.jpg

02/10/2019

Rad and Grill idea/placement

will need to cut whole for second 120mm hole - Now what im torn by is the polished finish - ordering a 280 rad grill to cut below the Stock 120mm opening to allow the GPU to intake some air and as a highligh, show off its triple fan ARGB! I'm personally thinking to grab 240 version, cut the default grill on the 120mm opening and then slot in the 2 default 120mm filters and then the grill ontop . Least then both openings are the same

uHcyLb8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Modding !

SFX Hole has been cut! Slightly over sized but in theory will allow SFX to have stock or 90 degree orientation . Just need to trim more off the bottom and tidy!
Hopefull just cutting a hole and not cutting from the top down will keep the chassis rigid

YBUuKqL.jpg

Bottom of the GPU Vertical mount has been cut, roughly now 100mm from 120mm , with case height being 105mm . Again needs a tidy

Xt8FAHg.jpg

should sit in flush with the top lip. will be mounted to the right hand side mounting system for the stock GPU holder
9YB4rsI.jpg

this does mean they'll be a gap with the GPU mount and chassis but the I/O cut out. in the pic below the Bracket is upside down
MNjgE0C.jpg

Luckily silverstone and coolermaster have hex vent holes :)
Bottom right hand corner needs to have a cut out to allow it to sit over the Kettle plug
6dzvcyQ.jpg

*30/08/19* - apologies for poor pics, off my phone early this morning

Mother board is mounted !

dfy0CNo.jpg
gWuBsLU.jpg
BCSnv8M.jpg
osZtz7I.jpg
AajXP0Z.jpg

z9QV9ax.jpg

rough GPU Placement

bpP8qXQ.jpg
vMxzBgq.jpg
1fCBXQQ.jpg
53mTJ0U.jpg

SFX PSU placement ! ** Pictures in DSLR now along with stock vs rotated . stock sticks out 125mm vs rotated with cables being 118mm

wWH66x4.jpg
82sTBh7.jpg
ZjZ4OeO.jpg
3CQZoAS.jpg

atiYjOz.jpg
rWSzjCh.jpg

I need to Re-cut the GPU bracket and trim down the vent even more. I miscalculated a bit, with the space between the PCB edge and chassis wall along with how much the GPU bracket is offset by. Looks like all the Hex Grill will have to be cut out. Also the X470 Aorus has Shroud cover on the left hand side of the PCB.
Does add height which is a pain but is plastic so no shorting !

DfrPs1t.jpg

5eJRgis.jpg

12/09/19

Top Panel cutting and Ventilation

before
0ZtdAzI.jpg

after
hTs4ZYB.jpg

cutting - middle bit left in for support
yg872nq.jpg

Will have to do the same at the bottom but may just Drill holes as the Filter/mesh will need to be on the actual chassis to block dust as dust can be sucked into the chassis via the sides here
2BVvx4d.jpg

The fan mounts will screen the mesh into the chassis at the bottom. Top it'll need to be glued into place are suck down via tape. Also needs to be sprayed black

gwyxVIr.jpg
Hole size is 0.5mm squared

gEvK4Ry.jpg

Again need to cut the arrow section at the top and bottom of the front panel to match the top !
9jUOyAj.jpg

Can see light !
3Eddh7u.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
This build is going to be impressive, looking forward to seeing the build log.

All the best for the build and the new addition!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hemnes - Because my wife upgraded our whole living room to Ikea Hemnes and this is where my PC will sit

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemnes-desk-white-10402412/

Now, most will know I have a Dynamic case and it will fit in the cupboard if i unscrew the door , put it in and reattach . My wife in her glory rejected removing the back panel.... so ... I need something that can sit on the desk, be small and be pretty... hence the Silverstone RVZ 03
@Plec @tamzzy , case should be delivered in next few mins!
Square Peg, Round Hole

WAHAY! How long do you estimate for complete destructi transformation?

No, fuzzy phone pics, Orbi :p - this build deserves sharp focus, really looking forward to this one.

Best of luck, bud - really hope it goes to plan, even if it doesn't i'm sure you'll figure out ad-hoc fixes as you go that will make it work.

Soldato
OP
This build is going to be impressive, looking forward to seeing the build log.

All the best for the build and the new addition!

hope so - in theory if i had more time , would have been able to go balls deep ! ;) Still- tempered glass window can be ready in 14 days...

Square Peg, Round Hole

WAHAY! How long do you estimate for complete destructi transformation?

No, fuzzy phone pics, Orbi :p - this build deserves sharp focus, really looking forward to this one.

Best of luck, bud - really hope it goes to plan, even if it doesn't i'm sure you'll figure out ad-hoc fixes as you go that will make it work.

haha, been looking at previous ones i did, with only one kid , wife part time working and him at nursery . Could come back home at lunch break and crack on for 30 mins a day :D

Has to be soon-ish by the looks of things . Even If i can get most of it roughly in place - mobo screwed down to 4 of the 9 holes and SFX in place whilst still using the PSU bracket supplied . Thinking more I can keep stock- easier it is for Silverstone or others to see Its easy enough in principle .
Hoping if i can do the above on Wednesday Launch time , we'll all see how the SFX is going to work with the chasses and Fascia . Friend should be on board to get 3D printed front fascia - again trying to keep it as stock looking . Hoping Silverstone EU can swindle CAD files from HQ but dont think that will happen !

Package is here- opened the box- FORGOT TO CHECK IF ITS WHITE! haha

Soldato
OP
Did they send the wrong one or was it lucky dip as you got it for gratis?

not sure- but i'll take what i can get. though will actually have to look at the serial code on the box . Just as i was loading it into the shed my son ambushed me and his Boosh kids workbench is sotred in there for his 4th bday in just under a months time .

heads up, aorus boards with backplates are almost toddler proof !

Soldato
OP
@Plec @tamzzy

imgur not working from uploading DSLR snaps from my phone so quick copy from insta

sold my self a little short but need to cut the front of the chassis and the PSU will fit in ! its all about the front fascia now

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1bT61jlkmm/

have noticed the front fascia is screwed in via the inside of the case. In theory I can use loner screws and stand offs for the time being off offset it from the chassis

Soldato
should still work , knew there would be a bit of work :D
You had factored in a new front fascia anyway - only a few mm more than anticipated. What material/plastic will you be using for printing?

@tamzzy VVV

LTdFW7e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom