*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
My one thing with 5X5 SL is that I feel the first 8 weeks are so easy that I struggle to get motivated to go to the gym and it's not even a challenge.

Has anyone else had to deal with feelings of revisiting old ground and feeling frustrated you are not a patch on what you used to be? My life overall now is much better than it was in 2011, I'm just looking to try and get more enjoyment out of the gym if possible!

Take bigger jumps at the start of the program if you feel its going to be to easy, also dont overestimate it either as this will have the same result, frustration at failure.

Obviously you wont be starting with the bar again so pick a healthy baseline, maybe even jump in around week 6 so 65kg squats, 40kg ohp, 100kg DL, 55kg bench, 60kg row etc, get back in the grove and progress from there.

Have a goal in mind, what would you like to achieve? Early 30's is far from an age to say you've peaked.

Associate
Has anyone else had to deal with feelings of revisiting old ground and feeling frustrated you are not a patch on what you used to be? My life overall now is much better than it was in 2011, I'm just looking to try and get more enjoyment out of the gym if possible!
I feel your sentiment. It is frustrating to go back to the weights you used to do. The main reason here, I think, is the lack of goal that will help you motivate or work towards something. Without a goal you just go for the sake of going. This has been the case for me for the past year. This makes me skip more days, not really work hard in the gym and go to do maintenance.

Can't really tell you what the solution is, but I hope you find something (gym or outside) that you want to work towards.

Soldato
OP
Ive had 6 months off - with injury. I have started right back to the start and just will take it easy.
Went from:-
137.5kg deadlift -> 60kg
100kg squat - 30kg
80kg bench - 30kg
73.5kg row - 30kg
45kg ohp - 20kg

I'm finding weight easy but doing 5 x 8 and concentrate on mind/muscle co-ordination.

Its quite annoying but I rather take it easy instead of going too fast and damaging again.

Soldato
That's quite a drop, probably even for working on 5x8 and focus on the muscle connection you can do heavier. At least 50% minimum imo.

Caporegime
Ive had 6 months off - with injury. I have started right back to the start and just will take it easy.
Went from:-
137.5kg deadlift -> 60kg
100kg squat - 30kg
80kg bench - 30kg
73.5kg row - 30kg
45kg ohp - 20kg

I'm finding weight easy but doing 5 x 8 and concentrate on mind/muscle co-ordination.

Its quite annoying but I rather take it easy instead of going too fast and damaging again.

It is a pain, but you just need to concentrate on the current cycle you're doing now.

I could get frustrated as I was deadlifting 180kg for sets, my latest atm is 150kg, current pb is 170kg, previous was 190kg.

It is what it is :)

Soldato
OP
I probably could up the weights a bit...… but maybe a reset and build up again might work and with Stronglifts the weights go up real quick anyway...

Man of Honour
I'm back squatting taking 6 or so weeks off with my bad knee (kept on doing other stuff including a 3 week holiday just with a trx).

It hurts only when I'm at my desk and only a little.

I've taken my squat back to 110kg, was up around 140kg. I think that while I could do reps at the higher weights may be too much for my knees which have been abused snowboarding and running for years.

Have been doing the PPL workout that Dirtycincilla recommended as strong lifts was feeling a bit stale.

So far so good but think I still need to go for some physio.

Man of Honour
Are you enjoying it? It's pretty bloody demanding but the few times I've actually managed to get in the gym recently, it's made me feel amazing and awful at the same time.

I have done 6 days with today being break day. It is demanding but mostly in a good way. I backed off the weight on the big lifts due to that injury (not bench an OHP as they are fine) so I have not been as ruined as strong lifts at its worse. Definitely enjoying the variety of excercises after 9 months of basically the same programme. My challenge will be travel now (as you know!) as I'm in a temproary bubble of being in the UK but now have travel every week for the next 5 making a 6 day a week programme impossible. It's a pain, hotel gyms are rubbish and i eat and drink too much when I travel.

Associate
Broke my toe last night which is going to affect my usual staples of squats and deadlifts. Can anyone recommend some other exercises I can do to keep me ticking over for a couple of weeks.

Associate
Anyone notice a big difference when training non-fasted compared to fasted? I've always training first thing in the morning and usually fast for a few hours afterwards. The downsides to this are my reps on latter sets always drop off.

I had a pre-workout meal before I trained earlier and felt so much stronger. It was very noticable, particularlly how quickly I recovered after each set and I felt I could have done another workout after I finished.

I may just be having an awesome workout but I'm courious if anyone else has noticed a big difference? I'm moving offices in a few weeks and might start training lunchtime instead.

Man of Honour
Anyone notice a big difference when training non-fasted compared to fasted? I've always training first thing in the morning and usually fast for a few hours afterwards. The downsides to this are my reps on latter sets always drop off.

I had a pre-workout meal before I trained earlier and felt so much stronger. It was very noticable, particularlly how quickly I recovered after each set and I felt I could have done another workout after I finished.

I may just be having an awesome workout but I'm courious if anyone else has noticed a big difference? I'm moving offices in a few weeks and might start training lunchtime instead.

I mean, it probably isn’t that surprising, but eating more is going to give you more energy. That said, it does surprise me sometimes how much better/stronger I feel when I hammer the calories. It isn’t even something I plan, there are just days where I won’t have eaten as much.

I’m eating pretty normally at the moment and my strength and body weight have dipped, but I know that when I start back in work next week and have full cooked breakfasts, huge lunches with big sugary desserts, my strength will skyrocket.

One thing I have cut out though is a protein shake before a workout d just stick to a preworkout mix now.

Interestingly, when off work I don’t have much for breakfast and even if I train heavy I can still workout efficiently in the morning as long as I have eaten lots the day before.

Associate
weighed just over 80kg today. averaging 5.1k cals. pic is at 79, before workout. I'm 5ft 7
edit oops i lied about calories this week. the last 7 days have averaged 4.8k
Jl1Jluh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys need some advice!

I started stronglifts 5x5 12 weeks ago with the goal of putting on around a pound a week.

I started off at 11 stone and now I'm 11 stone 12 so ive managed that.

The thing is, I'm not sure whether to keep bulking or go on a cut?

All my lifts are going really well, squats are slowly going up but 5 months ago I had a bad knee injury and could barely walk up stairs so I'm not too concerned about that.

I started off around 20 percent body fat but didn't want to cut first because I wanted to at least get a few months of lifting behind me.

What would you guys do? Keep bulking or cut back to around 12 percent body fat?

Also, if I do try and lose the fat, what's best low calorie, or low carb?

And I'm new to this forum so hello everyone!

Soldato
Hi guys need some advice!
I started stronglifts 5x5 12 weeks ago with the goal of putting on around a pound a week.
I started off at 11 stone and now I'm 11 stone 12 so ive managed that.
The thing is, I'm not sure whether to keep bulking or go on a cut?
All my lifts are going really well, squats are slowly going up but 5 months ago I had a bad knee injury and could barely walk up stairs so I'm not too concerned about that.
I started off around 20 percent body fat but didn't want to cut first because I wanted to at least get a few months of lifting behind me.
What would you guys do? Keep bulking or cut back to around 12 percent body fat?
Also, if I do try and lose the fat, what's best low calorie, or low carb?
And I'm new to this forum so hello everyone!

depends on your goal
get stronger : bulk
Get leaner : calorie deficit (the only way to lose weight is to eat less than what your body requires, if you eat no carbs but 10000 calories in protein and fat you'll get fat)

Associate
depends on your goal
get stronger : bulk
Get leaner : calorie deficit (the only way to lose weight is to eat less than what your body requires, if you eat no carbs but 10000 calories in protein and fat you'll get fat)

Thanks for replying !

Think it's going to have to be getting leaner.

Would you just continue on with stronglifts 5x5 as it is while reducing calories? Or reduce it to 3x5?

Back
Top Bottom