*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
10kg squat pr today, 150kg, with me weighing 80kg this morning. it was pretty shoddy rep on the way up and my back gave way at the bottom which hurt a bit. gonna try it again for a cleaner rep next week. also my ultimate goal is for size not strength, but damn hitting PRs is really satisfying. gonna start proper PL programming at the end of this bulk

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
10kg squat pr today, 150kg, with me weighing 80kg this morning. it was pretty shoddy rep on the way up and my back gave way at the bottom which hurt a bit. gonna try it again for a cleaner rep next week. also my ultimate goal is for size not strength, but damn hitting PRs is really satisfying. gonna start proper PL programming at the end of this bulk

Doing max effort singles is also risky and pointless, could result in injury, killing your gains. They have a place in strength training.

Man of Honour
Doing max effort singles is also risky and pointless, could result in injury, killing your gains. They have a place in strength training.

This.

Particularly when it sounds like you were not *safe* with your back giving out.

It also means your aren't actually testing your squat, but your back's pain threshold.

Man of Honour
So despite me losing 4kg over the summer, I’ve somehow lifted a new pb OHP having stalled for 4/5 months. Go figure. Must be that return to work adrenaline kicking in.

Caporegime
Been sumo for quite a while, but then I also have stupid levers that really never worked for conventional at all.

Also use straps, stop reverting to mixed, you're not powerlifting any more so really why generate an imbalance? Been saying this for a while, and its also what I have been doing now for a while. No more mixed grip for me.

You've only just stared lifting again properly dude, so shh :D

;)

Soldato

If you want to test maxes whilst having a size-oriented goal, I'd either go for a PR triple or my preference, which is an AMRAP test rather than a true 1RM test when you haven't been doing really low rep work and aren't fully acclimatised/primed to express your strength that way.

Soldato
So, looking for some advice.
Hurt self, thought it was shoulder, rested, rested too long and still didn't get better went to physio and he said it was neck.
He wants me back easing in exercises, tells me to do pull ups(wide grip), push ups, deadlifts and OHP(dumbells)

Been working through that for about a month, he's signed off on me with '3-4 weeks of the stretching and band work' and he thinks I'll be better.

Now I'm back up in the range of weights I used to do towards the end of my Stronglifts I was doing. I want to get back into some squats again, but would like to keep the Push & pull ups for their conditioning.
Anyone recommend a plan? I feel going back to stronglifts would feel pretty boring, but don't want to throw my own thing together and hurt myself haha

Man of Honour
So, looking for some advice.

Anyone recommend a plan? I feel going back to stronglifts would feel pretty boring, but don't want to throw my own thing together and hurt myself haha

Sure! It seems horrible. This link has all the details and is a very interesting read: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

In short, it's linear progression following the plan below:

You do Push one day, Pull next, Legs the next, then rest, and start again. The order is irrelevant, I just typed it out that way. 1 rest day, 6 workout days!

Push, pull, legs? Or pretty much any other routine out there that isn't Stronglifts? :)

I got pretty tired of stronglifts too and concerned that the amount of squatting may aggrevate an injury so switched to this one dirtychinchilla recommended. I'm enjoying it. Struggling to keep up with 6 a week in terms of fitting it in but doing enough I guess.

Back
Top Bottom