• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why do people defend it by saying you HAVE to own an RTX card or you have no opinion?
What else can they say? Lol.

DLSS can work very well (sometimes) but I think is only a short term thing.
There is a very limited amount of software that can use the new tech and some of implementations have been poor.

Personally I am only luke warm about the new tech for the above reasons but I am optimistic that Ray Tracing is here to stay and over the next few years will improve a lot.
Hold up, do you own an RTX card? Have you any experience with it?

LOL :D

Soldato
wrong - on control it works brilliantly - i would also argue that control with RTX enabled is a night and day difference.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-control-pc-a-vision-for-next-gen-rendering

i would rather accept the views of digital foundry who have been doing these features for years than

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOXxDaZznIY

I wouldn't put too much faith into digital foundry mate. They did a video on red dead 2 and HDR and claimed it was amazing.

It turned out that HDR mode was totally broken and didn't work correctly, it also gave a worst image quality then if you just disabled the HDR mode. The image was washed out and not as sharp with hdr on and this was on top of hdr actually not working. It was really poor.
Rockstar came out a week or so later and admitted it was broken and promised a fix which didn't come for many months.

After this video I have lost total faith in DF and see allot of their videos as just PR for the games.

Soldato
Well, 2019 and they don't support multi monitor, great job Remedy! :)

Even in native resolution the game looks washed out at times, full of noise/grain, quite easy to spot, feeling like a streamed, badly compressed 1080p or lower YT video (even your character has some really bad artifacts around the neck area when you turn the camera around to see her from the front). What you gain in terms of visual quality through RT, goes out the window through that, while DLSS makes it worse. Probably something like 2x the power of 2080ti (or more) would be required for 1080p@60fps to get a clear, sharp, noise free image. If anything, Control shows the hardware is just not there yet, although at times it can be quite good - but then again, the game looks ok without RT.

Caporegime
Not been hooked on a game in ages and Control has me hooked. Damned work spoiling my fun though :(

I am up to the part of searching for my Brother and am loving RT and no issues at all with DLSS. I big up Remedy for what they have done here and I have no performance issues at 3440x1440, so happy days. I expect a few AMD nay sayers tell me I am doing it wrong but hey ho!

Caporegime
I was AMD for years, and when RT came around, i too was slating it, LOL, £1200+ card, can't even do 60fps, @ 1080p, pmsl etc... etc..., but now ive gone to an RTX, and so got actual hands on with it, i take that slating back, a Ti must be able to do RT, and @ 1080p, as im only on a 2070 Super, and im doing it fine, at 3440x1440.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I was AMD for years, and when RT came around, i too was slating it, LOL, £1200+ card, can't even do 60fps, @ 1080p, pmsl etc... etc..., but now ive gone to an RTX, and so got actual hands on with it, i take that slating back, a Ti must be able to do RT, and @ 1080p, as im only on a 2070 Super, and im doing it fine, at 3440x1440.
I have never been AMD or Nvidia. Happy to slate either company :D

They both have their pro's and con's end of the day. I buy whatever that takes my fancy at the time. My opinions evolve and chance over time also (not the same as being fickle :p).

Currently I am waiting for a 3070/3080 Ti. All will depend on price, price for performance and how good RT is on games I want to play that are coming out next year.

Associate
Sure if your into RT and have a crap load of money to spare, the question then would be why not? But for those who don't have a crap load of money, it's hard to justify a why. At the end of the day the tech is still new and it's not like every game you buy has RT, nevermind the performance cost. Depending on what you goal is, you could end up upgrading every year just to keep a high level of FPS, it's one of the reasons for me 4k won't ever be worth it until probably atleast 3 years down the line.. (if ever for me tbh) as you end up having to upgrade just to keep up with the performance (144fps+) If FPS doesn't bother you, then it's much less of a cost.

I ran an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE from 2009-2018, and despite it becoming the bottleneck, it was still going strong and was working even when i moved to a Ryzen, whenever i looked at an upgrade it was always Intel, and knowing how much they fleeced customers over the years (that still continually bought their processors year in, year out) it was hard for me to justify, despite me being able to afford the upgrade.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why then, why with Cyberpunk2077?
Big game and they will want to get it right to get positive exposure.

That is one of the handful of games I am excited about for next year. If the RT is lame like Tomb Raider, then there is zero chance of me getting anything more than a 3070.

Soldato

That is one of the handful of games I am excited about for next year. If the RT is lame like Tomb Raider, then there is zero chance of me getting anything more than a 3070.

Cyberpunk uses RT reflections

Soldato

Is not like Metro or Control didn't implement RT correctly or good enough (although in some places is darker than it should, but then maybe a proper HDR is required anyway?), it couldn't do much due to the limitation of the hardware. For instance, in Control, I can only do 720p upscaled to 1080p to keep 60fps constant on a 2080 and is still quite nosy in darker areas, plus uses a lot of "cheats" - trying to stream in stuff too aggressively which also gets noticed at times + the washout out look of non-native image.

Maybe just for reflections is not going to kill the performance as much, but if they fake those good enough through traditional means, the difference will be low enough for many to not care if you balance it with the performance cost - and, of course, hardware cost. If you look at the Blacksmith demo, The Heretic demo, Book Of The Dead, even The Infiltrator (or Crysis 3), as a whole, they all look better than Control (for me at least), I'd even say that The Blacksmith, 4 years old demo, looks more next gen than anything is out on the market or will be launched soon. And no RT. :)

Back
Top Bottom