*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Associate
Anyone seen the electric purple controller for pre-order in the UK. Game has the red camo, Amazon has the gold, no sign of purple.

I see purple on US sites and on French amazon, but nothing in the UK yet :(.
The electric purple is available for £45 on Currys, the rose gold is available for pre-order now on Amazon.

Associate
As a long standing PC gamer I'm considering dabbling in the console world of gaming, mainly for the PS4 exclusives. Is it still worth buying a PS4 at the moment? Not done much research on the PS5 but is it coming out early next year?
Really long time PC gamer here too, ever had PS3 ( I remember having the first Xbox tho ). Anyway grabbed the PS4 at launch and a while ago upgraded to PS4 Pro.

The experience is totally different from PC and not in a bad way. Everybody knows how much more power its possible to get with PC so not getting into that, but the whole idea that everything is done keeping the couch experience as smooth as possible is kinda nice. Sure PS4 exclusives are nice and some of them looking brilliant even, but nowadays ben playing games like Planetbase or Aven Colony with the console - games that usually wouldnt even think about playing with a console. Might even grap Stellaris? Dunno.

If you decide to get PS4 go for the Pro model, and make sure its model number is starting with CUH-7200 ( whisper quiet ). Sure the non-pro models are quiet aswell but most games getting nice resolution boost with the Pro. Anyway go for it, its still a long wait for the PS5.

Soldato
I'm curious, how often to people wipe and reinstall their PS4?

Had C chassis PS4 - was wiped only once, day before I sold it.
Currently own PS4 Pro - had supplied HD removed and 2TB SSHD installed in it's place - otherwise no wipe.

When you can complete a "Rebuild Database" I see no logic or advantages to wipe & reinstall on a PS4.

V F

V F

Soldato
Had C chassis PS4 - was wiped only once, day before I sold it.
Currently own PS4 Pro - had supplied HD removed and 2TB SSHD installed in it's place - otherwise no wipe.

When you can complete a "Rebuild Database" I see no logic or advantages to wipe & reinstall on a PS4.

I'm tempted to get a SSHD 2TB Firecuda for it. The loading times is starting to irritate me.

Soldato
I'm tempted to get a SSHD 2TB Firecuda for it. The loading times is starting to irritate me.

If you want visibly better loading times, going SSD is the only real option. Sure the PS4 cannot make "full use" of it, but it makes enough use of it to knock down those loading times.
I'm happy with my decision, when I upgraded to SSHD there were no external HD options, so I wanted to increase capacity and the 2TB SSHD is "quicker", but not night & day. 2TB SSD would have set me back well over £300.
You can get 2TB SSD for around the £170, can get as low as £150 on "special offer days". Not cheap, but will make the biggest difference.

Soldato
They don't make a massive difference to loading times so testing a few years ago would show anyway.

Might be worth getting a SSHD if you were going to upgrade for more space anyway, but I'd not call it cost effective if you are only upgrading for speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
They don't make a massive difference to loading times so testing a few years ago would show anyway.

It does in the PS4 Pro, although it's still dependent on the game to a large extent. RDR2 and GTA5 load times are dramatically quicker on an SSD, for example.

I had one of the Seagate 2TB FireCuda drives, it was terrible and performed no better than the 1TB drive the Pro came with, which was disappointing because I'd had a 1TB one in my PS3 and then base PS4 for a good few years which always worked well. In the end I went with 1TB Crucial SSD and use the 1TB HDD it came with as external storage.

Back
Top Bottom