TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Re-runs. I was also joking though, but the TV licensing only deal with breaches of the law with regards to the TV license. They'd have zero remit enforcing something else just because it might be illegal.

There's plenty of times when a programme is aired again.

So if programme A runs from 07:00 to 08:00 on Monday and runs again same slot on a Thursday. You obtain a recording of programme A and watch this on Thursday at 07:00. It's just pointing out corner cases.
I don't see how a rerun makes any difference. You are still recording from a live source and unless you have a licence you cannot record from that source then rewatch later at the same times it rebroadcast for a rerun. That rerun part is kind of irrelevant. How would you record the first showing without a licence? If you did have a licence during the first live broadcast but no longer have a licence on the rerun you no longer have a right watch the live recordings. Same for Iplayer once the licence expires you are not allowed to keep downloaded Iplayer shows and keep watching them. The fact you are watching the recording at the same time as the rerun rebroadcast doesn't really matter.

Soldato
His point was "obtain a recording" ie not doing it himself ie pirating or getting a license paying mate to record it for him etc so he has never used the Live channel.

Soldato
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, have a read of TVLR Forums - they have all the information that you need to know.

https://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php

Basically don't bother responding to them after you have initially told them you don't need a licence, it makes no difference, you still get spammed mail accusing you of being a thief, it just lets them know it's an "active" address.

If they turn up at your door, say nothing, sign nothing and just close the door in their face, like you would for any other door-to-door sales person - which is all they are, sales people.

Love it :D

Soldato
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, have a read of TVLR Forums - they have all the information that you need to know.

https://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php

Basically don't bother responding to them after you have initially told them you don't need a licence, it makes no difference, you still get spammed mail accusing you of being a thief, it just lets them know it's an "active" address.

If they turn up at your door, say nothing, sign nothing and just close the door in their face, like you would for any other door-to-door sales person - which is all they are, sales people.

Exactly this.

I've been legally licence free for almost ten years, the absolute best thing you can do is flat out ignore them. Don't call them to tell them you don't need a licence, don't respond to the threatening letters in any other way either, if they knock on the door ignore them. If you happen to answer the door, don't answer any of their questions or engage them, just close the door in their faces. Don't try to act the way you see people on youtube acting, while the videos can be funny acting that way can create more hassle as the TVL 'enforcers' often have a loose connection with the truth. For that matter, try to make sure you don't have a tv visible from any accessible windows. Make sure anyone who stays in your household knows this also, they're prone to bullying tactics and if your partner or a friend opens the door and so much as hints that they were watching a movie the goon will make an effort to twist things.

If the worst does happen and you get a court letter, the TVL-Resistence website linked above is a great place to go and ask for advice.

Soldato
For that matter, try to make sure you don't have a tv visible from any accessible windows.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, this is a lot easier said than done. If I wanted to opt for this tactic I simply couldn't have a TV in my lounge. In any case, I don't pay a licence, and I don't break the rules/law, thusly I have nothing to hide and I'll place my TV where I feel it's best suited.

Soldato
BBC to switch off red button text in 2020
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49715314

The BBC is to switch off the news and sport text services on the TV red button early next year.

The decision spells the end of reading headlines, football scores, weather, travel news and more on TV sets, 45 years after the launch of Ceefax.

Something else we're losing from the license fee. Also apparently they are removing the radio function from the iPlayer (this as already been removed on platforms other than the website).

They seem to be getting rid of the uniqueness of the BBC in order to fit in with these streaming services. I don't mind paying the licence fee if I'm getting something that I consider valuable and unique from the service. But this is rapidly changing.

They need to get a new chairman and have a different mind set.

Soldato
The problem is they have no motivation to deliver good value.

They are legally allowed to fund themselves using bully tactics and extortion. They don't have to compete with other broadcasters for customers.

People are ditching the TV licence and using netflix etc. Because they now buy all the good shows which the BBC doesn't want to pay for.

Last edited:
Soldato
IMO it's high time they ditched the license fee completely and just merged it into other taxes. You don't need a specific license to call the police or have the bin men show up or use a hospital, public services should all be funded from taxes.

The obvious downside is that if it's funded directly from the treasury then there's a risk the government would have too much control and the BBC would end up a government mouthpiece like Russia Today, however as long as it's set up properly with independent committees in charge of funding decisions and not the government it should work fine.

The problem is they have no motivation to deliver good value.

They are legally allowed to fund themselves using bully tactics and extortion. They don't have to compete with other broadcasters for customers.
The BBC actually makes a significant amount of it's revenue from selling it's shows to foreign broadcasters, they are very competitive when competing with other broadcasters for shows/talent and other broadcasters usually compete to buy/show BBC shows.

Soldato
The BBC actually makes a significant amount of it's revenue from selling it's shows to foreign broadcasters, they are very competitive when competing with other broadcasters for shows/talent and other broadcasters usually compete to buy/show BBC shows.

They buy a lot of the old stuff. Not sure about the more recent shows, probably only the big budget ones. The BBC don't really do comedy anymore but it's those which went global.

And no, it shouldn't be part of other taxes, it's is NOT a public service, it's a business. It should be a subscription service.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom