1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Licence Super Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken, Feb 1, 2015.

1. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

What is the latest status of snoopers charter, i thought most ISP's had basically refused to keep records as originally required?

2. Rofflay

Mobster

Nasty bunch this lot i have not watched anything in a year and they actually left me alone after 9 years of hounding me. It got to the point one day i was sitting out the back with my parents and this TV chap walked into the back yard, Sat down and pulled out his book asking who lives here OMG!!!

The guy got chased, I should of reported him but i cba they are basically low lifes thugs for the BBC.

3. UnLuckyBenski

Mobster

So you were watching stuff while not having a license for 8 years?

Quite surprised such a high level paper would get this wrong, you don't need any license for radio at all.

4. Rofflay

Mobster

I do not watch BBC at all ilegally, I refused to prove that and provide my info which i am perfectly entitled. Yet they hounded me for 9 years at taxpayers expense.

5. Basher

Sgarrista

Why?

6. Gimli

Gangster

Innocent until proven guilty? Quite easy to have a slip of the tongue and misspeak or confuse yourself... they'll take advantage of that.

7. Rofflay

Mobster

Indeed as the poster above me said it is my right to privacy, And also the right to remain innocent until guilty. They have literally no right how would you like it if say you had a car off the road in a garage and the Gov kept hassling you presuming you are using it without tax and imsurance and calling at the door?

They are presuming or were everyone watches TV and they must be allowed in to prove it. Look at the TV goon who was looking in the little 7yo girls bedroom window for example.

8. Basher

Sgarrista

Maybe, but seems a lot less hassle than being hounded for 9 years.

9. Rofflay

Mobster

Thats how they break down rights and erode freedoms though, I won anyways thier gone now and the BBC bias content sucks.

10. bigmike20vt

Wise Guy

How would you know if you don't view it. ?

;)

(Just joking btw)
    Seriously tho I guess I am wrong but I always thought if you had a device capable of recieving a TV signal you had to pay for the licence.(I don't agree with it but I thought it was just a tax for owning a TV)

11. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Only if you watch/record live or watch iplayer on demand. Last I checked anyway.

12. Basher

Sgarrista

If it meant being hassled for 9 years or just showing them the car was off the road, then definitely the latter.

13. Scania

Capodecina

Looking into cancelling my license, I don’t watch TV full stop these days, what little I do watch is YouTube or Amazon and occasional Sky news (all via the web on my PC) and I deleted my iplayer account a few months back.

Is there an online cancellation form or do I have to call them as I’m currently being directed to do or would cancelling my direct debit have the same effect?

My monitor is a 4K LG 43” TV but it’s not connected to either a satellite dish nor coaxial aerial, just the HDMI into my PC.

14. robj20

Sgarrista

Sky news via the web would count as watching live tv so you still need your license. Unless you mean you watch old clips.

15. Scania

Capodecina

Yes, just clips - I don’t sit and watch the news, I’ve got my radio on all day at work so I’ve always had my fill by the evening, I do sometimes like to catch a clip of whatever I was listening to earlier.

16. robgmun

Capodecina

Almost the same, more than half of the "TV" i watch is Youtube via a HTPC connected to my TV

You just fill a form online, but from experience, you'll have to do it every few months as even though it's supposed to work for a year they still bother you

17. Pottsey

Mobster

Accept for with the TV licence people just showing them has a high chance of making things worse and creating more hassle even if you are doing nothing wrong.

Why should we let a company that we have no products with, no contract with walk around our homes inspecting all our rooms, keep our name, address, personal information on record. How can you find that reasonable? Would you let Microsoft or Apple inspect your home and keep your name, address, personal information even if you had zero Microsoft/Apple products?

18. MissChief

Capodecina

One even wanted to come into my house two weeks after I’d moved in even after I’d admitted I had a tv and no licence. Was very strange.

19. Nasher

Capodecina

Never let them in. A bit like vampires.

20. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Don't forget to keep the garlic at the top of the entrance doors!