**** The Official OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Soldato
I just wish OnePlus would implement wireless charging. They have pretty much everything else I want, reasonably big screen (but not massively big like Note 10+) and more importantly a flat one in the case of the 7/7t. The only downside is the bump in aspect ratio to 20(?):9 which isn't that appealing - to me anyway. I can see the point as it obviously allows more content in portrait mode but when it comes to watching videos, particularly those that are still in 16:9 you're not gaining any more screen size. For example my S10e's 5.8inch screen sounds all well and good but in 16:9 it's equivalent to just 5 inches.
A non-proprietary fast charging tech would be nice as well but not essential.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just wish OnePlus would implement wireless charging. They have pretty much everything else I want, reasonably big screen (but not massively big like Note 10+) and more importantly a flat one in the case of the 7/7t. The only downside is the bump in aspect ratio to 20(?):9 which isn't that appealing - to me anyway. I can see the point as it obviously allows more content in portrait mode but when it comes to watching videos, particularly those that are still in 16:9 you're not gaining any more screen size. For example my S10e's 5.8inch screen sounds all well and good but in 16:9 it's equivalent to just 5 inches.
A non-proprietary fast charging tech would be nice as well but not essential.
It might be something they can add with the 8 model next year if this filters down to Oneplus:
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/oppo/149422-oppo-vooc-wireless-charging

I really like the look of the 7 Pro / 7T Pro. I had switched from 5T to Pixel 2XL, then switched to S10+ at launch earlier in year. It's the camera quality that's holding me from switching back.

Soldato
The 7T Pro just seems.... pointless :confused:
The normal 7 should be what the 7T is and the 7T should be what the 7 Pro is.
The event yesterday was a 6 month refresh. For sure the 7T is now a lot closer to the 7T Pro but you should remember that not all markets get all of the OnePlus released phones. e.g. the North America market didn't get the 7 earlier this year and aren't getting the 7T Pro.

Soldato
^Spot on and that's essentially how it's played out. The OP7 wasn't much of an upgrade over the 6T when it was released so they concentrated on the 7T instead of the 7T Pro but compensated with bringing the Mclaren version out.

If all the leaks pan out the 8 series should see substantial improvements with 30W wireless charging and proper certified IP ratings along with the usual SoC spec bump.

Associate
Except the good old London underground. Zero network coverage and Wi-Fi only at stations (which is only free with certain networks and never works during peak hours thanks to congestion). It's due to this I have a lot of stuff stored locally.

Although I just cleared a lot of junk files from my phone, and I think I probably can cope with 128gb...

XDA's review seems to have a lot of issues. Ghost touches, battery and overheating problems, and data connectivity when moving around. And OP still hasn't fixed their memory management. Hopefully this is due to early software but some of these issues also affected the 7/7 Pro with the 10 update, so hopefully most of these will be fixed.

Also wow... Google those gestures are horrible :p. Come on OP, add back in your old ones.

Thanks for the link, food for thought, will definitely wait for some real world users reviews before diving in now

Soldato
I read yesterday that Google are basically forcing OEMs to use their gestures and they aren't allowed to make it easy to swap or even give users the option to swap. Users HAVE to find other gestures by themselves.
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-gesture-navigation-android-10/

They're forcing OEMs to use the gestures but they don't disallow them to add in their own gestures:
So where does that leave alternative navigation controls from OEMs? Google says while Android partners may offer their own navigation controls, their alternatives cannot be presented to the user during setup nor can they be advertised to the user through notifications or on-screen pop-ups. While A and C are required to be shown at the top-level of navigation settings, any alternative navigation options have to be placed one entry deeper in Settings.
In other words OP can add back their own gestures, but it will be buried within the settings, won't be available to select during setup and won't be advertised at all.

Soldato
I've had my OP 7 Pro for about a week on Three, coming from an s8+ on EE.

I've found with both wifi (work and home) and 4g, the internet is both a little slower and much less reliable. I just have hanging screens while loading gifs or articles just don't load etc. Again, both 4g and wifi.

I know Three's coverage isn't as good as EE, but this is in central London. Which along with the wifi performance being worse to makes me think can there be something wrong with the phone itself? This is using it without the case.

If the phone could be a bit dodge, can I ask the provider to replace it?

Soldato
I kind of want to buy a 7Pro right before they disappear, just because I prefer the Nebula over the Haze blue.
I have to agree. Part of me wants to take a punt on a used 7 Pro with the lower price just to have a play with it. Doubt I could stick with it long term due to curved screen and lack of wireless charging. Maybe I could keep my S10e rather than replace it (the Mrs might kill me :D)

Soldato
I've had my OP 7 Pro for about a week on Three, coming from an s8+ on EE.

I've found with both wifi (work and home) and 4g, the internet is both a little slower and much less reliable. I just have hanging screens while loading gifs or articles just don't load etc. Again, both 4g and wifi.

I know Three's coverage isn't as good as EE, but this is in central London. Which along with the wifi performance being worse to makes me think can there be something wrong with the phone itself? This is using it without the case.

If the phone could be a bit dodge, can I ask the provider to replace it?

Three is horrible, I switched to ee never looked back, the phone sometimes actively switches between WiFi and cellular, I'd test with EE sim

Associate
Think I'll bite the bullet and get it from Amazon at launch. They recently made me eligible for the interest free monthly payments, may as well enjoy the offer.

Soldato
Just ordered a Blue 7 Pro from Amazon's Warehouse for £600, I think it's worth a go just to try it out, simple returns process if nothing else.
If the curved screen grows on me I may still return it and splash the extra £200 for the new McLaren edition.

Soldato
Fair play. Although the question has to be asked as I almost asked it of myself. Other than getting your new shiny now, if you were prepared to spend £800 why wouldn't you wait and just buy the McLaren edition? Or maybe the colour scheme just isn't your bag.

Back
Top Bottom