Contracted developer demands obscene hours payment

Soldato
6 weeks which is a long time I know, but one of us had a new born with complications and I was moving job and house so had my mind elsewhere.

I can see his reasoning for getting a lawyer involved then however inconsiderate it is to you.

I can't see this working out in his favour if he can't provide evidence of the hours worked. Since it was based on hours worked rather than project he could be entitled to payment even if the work is unfinished but he'd have to prove his hours. That he's charging so little for so many hours worked I'm leaning towards he's full of it and just wants to get some money.

6 weeks no reply and potentially things changing as all software does over time. I can see his side as well.

Have you checked out the law firm to see if it's legit?

Have you looked into your own lawyer?

Soldato
OP
What was the reason for him walking away?

he said stated 'personal reasons'.

I can see his reasoning for getting a lawyer involved then however inconsiderate it is to you.

I can't see this working out in his favour if he can't provide evidence of the hours worked. Since it was based on hours worked rather than project he could be entitled to payment even if the work is unfinished but he'd have to prove his hours. That he's charging so little for so many hours worked I'm leaning towards he's full of it and just wants to get some money.

6 weeks no reply and potentially things changing as all software does over time. I can see his side as well.

Have you checked out the law firm to see if it's legit?

Have you looked into your own lawyer?

Getting some legal advice in the morning. It's a tin pot legal firm, with the guy sending it being a qualified conveyancer and having several black marks for his advise in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don
No court is ever going to accept that a client has hired a subcontractor to provide incomplete/non-functioning work.
That's not strictly true, if the client cancels mid work it's a different matter. If the contractor walks away because of client actions having incurred costs (hours) then it's not a straight forward issue. The contractor walking away for other reasons is his choice though (and potentially he could be argued to be liable).

Soldato
OP
His reasons for walking away are probably neither here nor there, the fact of the matter is that he has "walked away".

Did you describe to him what exactly you wanted the "App" to do? Was anything ever put down in writing? Hourly rate, date for delivery - ANYTHING at all?
Nope our own fault here, all done verbally apart from the hourly rate agreed at £8.50 an hour.

lesson learnt and I’m happy to pay the original amount he demanded for both sides to walk away civilly. But to demand an extra £700 without warning has irked me on a matter of principle.

Caporegime
No court is ever going to accept that a client has hired a subcontractor to provide incomplete/non-functioning work.

I do literally every day. I hire guys to do the first part of a job before it's passed on to someone else for completion. I'll use someone less skilled and ergo cheaper to build a framework before I pass it on to a more qualified guy for completion.

Soldato
Nope our own fault here, all done verbally apart from the hourly rate agreed at £8.50 an hour.

lesson learnt and I’m happy to pay the original amount he demanded for both sides to walk away civilly. But to demand an extra £700 without warning has irked me on a matter of principle.

You won't get any quality for that amount.

Is the guy even a developer?

Back
Top Bottom