• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Let us know how you get on with that MB. That was my intial decision, but like you there were no reviews, and as it turned out no stock.

Yeah this AIO, idling at 42 Degrees I don't think that's great. I never realised that Threadripper cooling is not in the best state. After buying a Noctua was told that it will barely be able to keep it cool, forget overclocking. Looked at Full Coverage AIOs. Enermax v2 gunk up, Coolmasters klunk out. Nice, real nice. So I bought the prettiest AIO I could get, with 'Anti-Leak Tech'. The reason I have been on Air advocate for so long was fear of leaks. I can only pray.
I run the ENERMAX LIQTECH II TR4 360 RGB CPU WATER COOLER - 360MM on my 2950 the block cover all of the cpu .

I think it works with the new thread rippers so might be worth looking at ?

Soldato
Let us know how you get on with that MB. That was my intial decision, but like you there were no reviews, and as it turned out no stock.

Yeah this AIO, idling at 42 Degrees I don't think that's great. I never realised that Threadripper cooling is not in the best state. After buying a Noctua was told that it will barely be able to keep it cool, forget overclocking. Looked at Full Coverage AIOs. Enermax v2 gunk up, Coolmasters klunk out. Nice, real nice. So I bought the prettiest AIO I could get, with 'Anti-Leak Tech'. The reason I have been on Air advocate for so long was fear of leaks. I can only pray.

Yeah I ordered the Noctua after reviews (Phoronix, STH) said it managed OK at stock. I'm gonna invest in custom loop (EK XE series) after the new year I think, with a thick 360 rad.

Man of Honour
Got the cable, now it’s giving me memory code C5. The RAM works fine on my intel board. It’s what’s in my sig. Clearinf CMOS has not helped. Any idea?

Man of Honour
Got the cable, now it’s giving me memory code C5. The RAM works fine on my intel board. It’s what’s in my sig. Clearinf CMOS has not helped. Any idea?

Reseat the cpu making sure to tighten up 1-2-3 on the sp3 socket. Could well be an issue with it not being seated properly.

Man of Honour
Sorry didn't realise the memory wasn't in my sig. I was planning on using my current RAM until the Corsair stuff turns up. I'm using:
Team Group Xtreem "8Pack Edition" 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
PC4-32000C18 4000MHz Quad Channel Kit - Black

Man of Honour
That's really not an easy task due to the block. I followed the instructions to the letter when installing it.

I think it might be a long shot to be fair but it could well be that of nothing else works. Never had the issue myself but a friend did with a asus board I gave him. We seated it twice before it liked it.

Soldato
That's really not an easy task due to the block. I followed the instructions to the letter when installing it.

I remember an article by Kyle Bennett of HardOCP who used a slightly differrent method on his original Threadripper: on each screw he turned he screw backwards until it clicked - to avoid cross-threading - and then part-tightened it. He went round all three screws this way, then he tightened them all.

Soldato

Vince is right, I build five Threadripper 1950X systems on some of the Gigabyte X399 boards, and I had to re-seat 2 of them. One of them only worked with half the memory installed, and then I had to re-seat it again.

Try just installing a one/two RAM modules, as per the manual.

Man of Honour
Well I have reseated the CPU and now it won't even do anything when I press the power button. The OLED display keeps saying update did not complete. Guess I'll have to try and get the BIOS onto a memory stick using my mac.

Soldato
Well I have reseated the CPU and now it won't even do anything when I press the power button. The OLED display keeps saying update did not complete. Guess I'll have to try and get the BIOS onto a memory stick using my mac.

Hmm, I wonder if the board wasn't powered on after it was flashed at the point of manufacture. Could easily be a corrupt BIOS flash on the flash ROM chip, I've done it a few times when SPI flashing boards.

Man of Honour
BIOS updated via USB, reseated the CPU twice now and nothing happens when I press the power switch (on the case or the board). My return to AMD after 15+ years is going well it seems.

Soldato
BIOS updated via USB, reseated the CPU twice now and nothing happens when I press the power switch (on the case or the board). My return to AMD after 15+ years is going well it seems.

Sorry man, that really sucks. How long did it take to POST the first time? I ask since I've had a board that took 90+ seconds before it did anything at all after being flashed. Also did you just put two modules in A1 and C1?

Man of Honour
It came on straight away, cycled through some codes on the display and hung on the one I put above. Same symptoms now even with no RAM or just one stick. Due to the back plate of my GPU I have to partially remove it to flip the RAM tabs. Going to remove the CPU again now.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Sorry dude. Not much consolation but mine booted straight up even when I forgot to plug in the 8pin cables (just hung at code 00). 99% of boot issues are cpu related. Make sure the cpu carrier is properly 'clicked' into the cradle before tourqueing up the socket. Make sure you do it in the correct 1 2 3 order. Have a very close look at the socket for any bent pins. Finally make sure men is in a1, b1, c1 and d1 slots if installing 4 sticks.

Back
Top Bottom