LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Soldato
Strange thing is, I think the 48" might well turn out to be more popular than the 55" version and retain higher pricing! Hopefully I'm wrong though :)

It would only be more popular IF it's cheaper. LG are no doubt targeting those people who find 55" too much in a small room, but those same people will certainly back away from a TV that's more expensive than something bigger... to the vast majority of consumers this would just make no sense. I don't see it happening at all. I think launch price across the range may be higher than we'd like, but that's always the case.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It would only be more popular IF it's cheaper. LG are no doubt targeting those people who find 55" too much in a small room, but those same people will certainly back away from a TV that's more expensive than something bigger... to the vast majority of consumers this would just make no sense. I don't see it happening at all. I think launch price across the range may be higher than we'd like, but that's always the case.
+1

Soldato
LG have now announced the CX48” OLED with gsync compatibility. AVForums believes it might cost more then the 55”. This one will be interesting to watch.

I just watched a video and the guy said the 48"CX version will be cheaper than the 55" version and also that there will also be a B series 48" which should be slightly cheaper still.

Good times indeed for people looking to get into Oled but don't have the space for a 55".

Associate
Depending on price I might be tempted to get the 48" CX and not spend money on the LG 38GL950G. 4K 120Hz with top picture quality just ticks all my boxes. @aoaaron 's post about strategies to avoid burn-in was pretty much the biggest turn off for an OLED because i'd be using it as a PC monitor with tons of static elements (word docs/excel spreadsheets/browser windows). Having to use a black desktop background is just tragic imo, I swear half of the fun of having a top of the line IPS is being wow'd every time you look at the colours on your desktop wallpaper.

I think these OLEDs are truly the ideal solution if you have space for a setup with an IPS productivity monitor, and the OLED which you only turn on for gaming/movies/TV. If you want just the one panel on your desk, it's quite a tough decision, esp if space is limited. That said, it comes down to price at the end of the day. The argument for spending £1000 on a CX OLED and then binning it in 2 years when you get burn in and getting a new one is only a convincing one due to the ridiculous prices of top IPS monitors (ie 38GL950G for £1.7k). The fact that nobody has come out and announced a 38" 4K 120+Hz IPS for <£1.5k this year is a disagrace.

Associate
Acer and Alienware are releasing 55" OLED monitors for £3k plus lol:confused:

It's the 55-inch Predator CG552K from Acer, and surprisingly it's an OLED. The monitor is capable of running at 4K 120Hz, making it suitable for games of all kinds, and of course includes the perfect blacks and seriously fast pixel response times of any OLED panel. Support for adaptive sync is also included, which should allow variable refresh rates on both AMD and Nvidia graphics cards. However, brightness is severely limited, at around 400 nits, which may explain why this display doesn't support HDR.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depending on price I might be tempted to get the 48" CX and not spend money on the LG 38GL950G. 4K 120Hz with top picture quality just ticks all my boxes. @aoaaron 's post about strategies to avoid burn-in was pretty much the biggest turn off for an OLED because i'd be using it as a PC monitor with tons of static elements (word docs/excel spreadsheets/browser windows). Having to use a black desktop background is just tragic imo, I swear half of the fun of having a top of the line IPS is being wow'd every time you look at the colours on your desktop wallpaper.

I think these OLEDs are truly the ideal solution if you have space for a setup with an IPS productivity monitor, and the OLED which you only turn on for gaming/movies/TV. If you want just the one panel on your desk, it's quite a tough decision, esp if space is limited. That said, it comes down to price at the end of the day. The argument for spending £1000 on a CX OLED and then binning it in 2 years when you get burn in and getting a new one is only a convincing one due to the ridiculous prices of top IPS monitors (ie 38GL950G for £1.7k). The fact that nobody has come out and announced a 38" 4K 120+Hz IPS for <£1.5k this year is a disagrace.

Add the fact that Asus and Acer have announced 32" 4k 144hz IPS mini led screens today for £3500+ and I would much rather take LG 48" OLED. They dont even have HDMI 2.1

Caporegime
@aoaaron Just a small question re the OLED, can it be set to turn off/turn on when putting the computer to sleep or does it remain on? That was one of my bugbears with the B7 as I need it to act a little more like a monitor. Cheers.

Soldato
OP
@aoaaron Just a small question re the OLED, can it be set to turn off/turn on when putting the computer to sleep or does it remain on? That was one of my bugbears with the B7 as I need it to act a little more like a monitor. Cheers.

They have auto-off timers after a while, as far as I know the display does stay on. But there is always the button ont he remote which turns it off I guess lol.
Or you can put on an auto off timer on the OLED if you really cba.

Soldato
OP
Sony has just announced a 48"Oled the A9.
It sounds awesome. I'd personally still go 55''. Having the physical width of a CRG9 monitor is AMAZING.
Its something that once you get used to might be hard for some people to go back to.

Regardless 48'' is a huge step towards OLED's being used more commonly in the PC gaming sub-space now.

Associate
Quick question regarding using the LG OLED C9 55 inch as a PC gaming monitor. I do nothing on my PC except for game and a little web browsing/youtube watching. Besides that I would use it for Netflix/Prime/Sky GO etc etc. I can only sit back around 2.5-3 feet from the screen, I do like a big image, but wary of it being TOO big...?

I am then wondering, I am getting a new GPU this week, with the OLED being "G Sync compatible", would this be preferred to using an AMD gpu with freesync?, does one perform better than the other? (not talking about proper g sync here).

With the recent news about new LG OLED in 2020 and reduced sizes, is this all the changes taking place?, will I missing anything going for a 2019 OLED, quality, features?, what about prices, is now a good time, do we think prices will drop further, or perhaps go up?.

I hope someone or many, with good insight and opinion could wade in and help me make sense of all this and help me make my mind up :)

Cheers and happy new year all.

Associate
Quick question regarding using the LG OLED C9 55 inch as a PC gaming monitor. I do nothing on my PC except for game and a little web browsing/youtube watching. Besides that I would use it for Netflix/Prime/Sky GO etc etc. I can only sit back around 2.5-3 feet from the screen, I do like a big image, but wary of it being TOO big...?

I am then wondering, I am getting a new GPU this week, with the OLED being "G Sync compatible", would this be preferred to using an AMD gpu with freesync?, does one perform better than the other? (not talking about proper g sync here).

With the recent news about new LG OLED in 2020 and reduced sizes, is this all the changes taking place?, will I missing anything going for a 2019 OLED, quality, features?, what about prices, is now a good time, do we think prices will drop further, or perhaps go up?.

I hope someone or many, with good insight and opinion could wade in and help me make sense of all this and help me make my mind up :)

Cheers and happy new year all.

From past experience the best time to buy TVs was around December to January when there is still some stock of the current gen and the new generation gets announced. The later you leave it you will have a chance to get them cheaper but with a chance that you might not find stock, or there will be more people wanting to get last gen and that hikes a bit the price. I learnt it the hard way when i went to get a panasonic 55CX802b and they just run out and the new model was out but I got it in July which is when my plasma died... Got the new model without doing much research to realise it was edge lit and not direct like the previous one was with some horrible backlight issues.. You won't have those with an OLED though.

And the C9 is a really good tv. What GPU where you thinking to get?

Associate
From past experience the best time to buy TVs was around December to January when there is still some stock of the current gen and the new generation gets announced. The later you leave it you will have a chance to get them cheaper but with a chance that you might not find stock, or there will be more people wanting to get last gen and that hikes a bit the price. I learnt it the hard way when i went to get a panasonic 55CX802b and they just run out and the new model was out but I got it in July which is when my plasma died... Got the new model without doing much research to realise it was edge lit and not direct like the previous one was with some horrible backlight issues.. You won't have those with an OLED though.

And the C9 is a really good tv. What GPU where you thinking to get?

My 1060 6gb I purchased in 2018 has a faulty fan, Rain Forest do not have any stock and are fully refunding me with store credit, was gonna put it towards a 2070 super or 5700xt, I tend to prefer Nvidia drivers though, they just work.... not to sound corny, and I ain't no fan boy. The C9 55 OLED, I will be paying for cash, just busy browsing trying to decide where to purchase, looking at JL and RS, thinking about some of the other smaller decent electronics online retailers, sometimes it's worth phoning and playing them off against each other, if they all the same price, something has to give....even if its a thrown in sound bar etc etc, I guess my back round in direct sales makes me a natural haggler and bargain hunter :D

Associate
My 1060 6gb I purchased in 2018 has a faulty fan, Rain Forest do not have any stock and are fully refunding me with store credit, was gonna put it towards a 2070 super or 5700xt, I tend to prefer Nvidia drivers though, they just work.... not to sound corny, and I ain't no fan boy. The C9 55 OLED, I will be paying for cash, just busy browsing trying to decide where to purchase, looking at JL and RS, thinking about some of the other smaller decent electronics online retailers, sometimes it's worth phoning and playing them off against each other, if they all the same price, something has to give....even if its a thrown in sound bar etc etc, I guess my back round in direct sales makes me a natural haggler and bargain hunter :D

I think I would go 2070 super possibly although they are quite similar those two cards.

I used RS the past 2 times for my tv as they were giving me the warranty and had to use it when the plasma developed lines of dead pixels at 3.5 years of ownership. They were brilliant and gave me my money back towards a new one because I was going to pay more for a "higher" specced tv (plasma was better than led lcd sigh). Definitelly worth it to try, see also if Costco sells it and get RS to pricematch them. JL are picky with price matching but RS are easier as long as there is some form of proper warranty coming with the item but usually they need to be on par ie 5 years or 6. For this price range it is always good to get it from a reputable seller and most importantly to have 5 or 6 years warranty. I know i needed it at 3.5 years. Good luck though.

Back
Top Bottom