• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Are they? So AMD has sold more products globally than Intel in 2019 :confused:

On the Desktop? don't know the facts but when looking at sales figures that are published, it looks that way, tech reviewers who have Amazon affiliate links say AMD are far outselling Intel.

And..

RqoPsmR.png

Amazon looks like this pretty much constantly these days

Top12.jpg

Global market share, which includes all X86 CPU's sold

AMD-Share.png

AMD have work to do with OEM's and Notebooks, they just started working on it.

Caporegime
Caporegime
November ^^^ look at the chart i posted. AMD jumped another 10 points in Q4

They aren't even close to upsetting Nvidia and are only successful on the CPU side of things at the expense of their GPUs.

You're right about that, over the last few years AMD put everything they had into Ryzen, now that's paid off they can put more into GPU's again, but they will not do to Nvidia what they have done to Intel.

Soldato
Ryzen is great, AMD are really doing well in fighting Intel but lets stick to the facts,.
I woudln;t call 18% market share crushing

The 18% market share includes computers that are 5 years old, 10 years old etc.

AMD sales have crushed Intel throughout 2019 but that only makes a slight dent in overall market share.

Even if Intel stopped making CPUs altogether and had no sales, their market share would still be bigger than AMD because millions of people are still using Intel based computers.

Soldato
On the Desktop? don't know the facts but when looking at sales figures that are published, it looks that way, tech reviewers who have Amazon affiliate links say AMD are far outselling Intel.

And..

RqoPsmR.png

Amazon looks like this pretty much constantly these days

Top12.jpg

Global market share, which includes all X86 CPU's sold

AMD-Share.png

AMD have work to do with OEM's and Notebooks, they just started working on it.

Already been said but I did say global PC sales. AMD hopes to have 100 SKUs of their new laptop chip out by end of the year, how many thousands does Intel have? The server market is what the 90ish percent, OEM desktops.....

So AMD CRUSHING is a tad hyperbolic :p

Caporegime
But doesn't include Consoles ^^^

Already been said but I did say global PC sales. AMD hopes to have 100 SKUs of their new laptop chip out by end of the year, how many thousands does Intel have? The server market is what the 90ish percent, OEM desktops.....

So AMD CRUSHING is a tad hyperbolic :p

In performance terms they absolutely are

You don't entirely fill out the top 12 on the World's largest retailer and it means nothing.

AMD are crushing Intel's performance, i'm going to stick my head on the block here and say AMD are crushing Intel in Retail CPU's sales, everything we know points to that.

"But mah OEM and Laptop's sales"

Yes, i did say AMD need to do more work here and to be fair to them they have only just started that work.

Caporegime
The 18% market share includes computers that are 5 years old, 10 years old etc.

AMD sales have crushed Intel throughout 2019 but that only makes a slight dent in overall market share.

Even if Intel stopped making CPUs altogether and had no sales, their market share would still be bigger than AMD because millions of people are still using Intel based computers.

Humbug was talking about market share and presented a graph of supposed market share which was blatantly wrong.
The sales figures themselves are also massively in Intel's favor simply because most CPUs are sold to OEMs like Dell and AMD have not penetrated this lucrative market. Beyond which normally, market share is a share of sales within a period. What you are talking about is installed user base.

Sales figures form Amazon or a retailer are fairly meaningless.

From the article, in the most recent published quarter AMD's sales were 18% of the market, Intel sold 82% of all CPU in that 3 month period. This makes sense consider a cloud serve like AWS likely has more intel CPUs installed than there are desktop CPUs in the whole of Britain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But doesn't include Consoles ^^^

In performance terms they absolutely are

You don't entirely fill out the top 12 on the World's largest retailer and it means nothing.

AMD are crushing Intel's performance, i'm going to stick my head on the block here and say AMD are crushing Intel in Retail CPU's sales, everything we know points to that.

"But mah OEM and Laptop's sales"

Yes, i did say AMD need to do more work here and to be fair to them they have only just started that work.

If by crushing you mean 18% compared to Intel's 82%

Caporegime
When Vidar put it that AMD are smashing Intel LambChops Asked "in what way?"

This was my response.

Well, to give you an example.

This is as fast, if not faster than This and This is 50% faster than two £10.000 Platinum Xeon's.

AMD are CRUSHING Intel.

Is that not true?

I get that you want to move it to Sales figures, and that's fine, clearly Intel are outselling AMD overall, and yet buried in that data the enthusiast market clearly has the AMD mindshare, it appears the tables in that have literally reversed, its like Bulldozer vs Haswell only Haswell is Ryzen and Bulldozer is Coffeelake. In retail sales terms. and in many ways performance.

This means a lot, like it or not, you clearly don't.

AMD are just getting stated with Laptop's, they have just won over 100 designs from all the main OEM's with the new Zen 2 APU's, Including Dell. some of them exclusive high end Ryzen designs. That also means something.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No I agree that Ryzen CPCs are generally better than Intel CPUs right now.

I'm not moving it to sales figures, that is the direction the thread went to after LambChops clarified his question. So the discusion is about sales figures and not performance.

why wouldn't I like it? Ryzen CPus are excellent, I'm currently work with a small cluster of Threadripper equipped computers. I hope to upgrade one of our older servers to a 3990x next month.

Caporegime
No I agree that Ryzen CPCs are generally better than Intel CPUs right now.

I'm not moving it to sales figures, that is the direction the thread went to after LambChops clarified his question. So the discusion is about sales figures and not performance.

why wouldn't I like it? Ryzen CPus are excellent, I'm currently work with a small cluster of Threadripper equipped computers. I hope to upgrade one of our older servers to a 3990x next month.

Lambchop has not clarified his question, he's gone off line. you lot moved it onto Sales.

AMD have more work to do, yes, but they have some wins under thier belt no one, even me thought possible, 2 years ago if you had told me AMD's top mainstream CPU would be at least as fast as Intel best HEDT i would have laughed at you. If you had told me AMD's HEDT CPU's would be 1.5X the performance of Intel's best Xeon's over 4X as expensive i would have asked you what you are smoking????

AMD walked the walk and i have no doubt Intel are cold sweating buckets because they are not done yet, they are just getting warmed up.

Anyway, enjoy those Threadrippers, i'm jealous.

Last edited:
Associate
I cannot see AMD leap frogging nvidia as nvidia does not appear to have been complacent like Intel.

Having a benchmark showing an unknown gpu that is up to 30% faster than a 2080ti under unknown conditions does not really mean much to me. If AMD can produce something that fast then I am pretty confident that nvidia has something to counter it.

Either way competition should yield better prices and products for us all.

Soldato
I cannot see AMD leap frogging nvidia as nvidia does not appear to have been complacent like Intel.
Correct, Intel essentially sat still for about 4 years in the desktop and laptop space and has been reacting to AMD ever since.. Meanwhile, nVidia has been improving performance nearly every year (although nowhere near as much as the improvements we saw a decade ago). What hasn't improved much though is performance at each price bracket. The 20 series offered next to nothing in this department, after the 10 series had already been out for 2 years. The Super cards improved this slightly but again, nowhere near the levels we used to see.

It's still depressing that an RX 480 4GB was ~£180 at launch 3.5 years ago. If we say that's about £200 now (due to inflation), that'll get you a 1660 or 5500XT, both of which are, what, only 20% faster than an RX 480?

Caporegime
Agreed ^^^^ Nvidia are not Intel, Nvidia are on the bleeding edge, i think AMD can pull themselves out of thier GPU rut, even do fairly well, but Nvidia will stay on top.

Yup, and AMD have got a loooooong way to go before they can even begin to approach nVidia's power efficiency!

Caporegime
Its why i'm still on a 1070, i have never held on to a GPU this long in my life.

It is showing its age now tho, especially given that i'm on a 1440P screen, so i am getting a little itchy, can't decide if the scratch is a 2070 or a 5700XT...

Yup, and AMD have got a loooooong way to go before they can even begin to approach nVidia's power efficiency!

Yeah, i'll agree with that.

Soldato
Isn't Nvidia complacent, forgive me if my numbers aren't 100% accurate but isn't the 2080ti (MSRP $1199 at launch Q3 2018) approximately only about 30% faster than a 1080ti (MSRP £699 at launch Q1 2017).

Doesn't seem like you get that much more performance for nearly twice the price?

I'm sure somebody will bang on about RTX but with the number of titles that currently still support it Q1 2019 I think it's pretty irrelevant given the massive performance hit.

Soldato
Soon to be 2070 in the low end and the current low end relegated to dead if Navi will be 30% faster than 2080Ti.

Quite impressive the low end achieving maximum settings in everything at the moment isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom