Is the AppleTV 4K worth it still?

Soldato
You need to look up what it CAN'T do... 4k hdr in 50 FPS is a no no. Its hardware locked to 4k 30fps.

To get hdr you have to drop to 1080p. You can get 4k standard def tho
This is incorrect -
You've mis-read.... I'm talking about 50 FPS.... NOT hz. That's the difference. And aptv can't do it.

I think and I’m happy to be corrected - you are confusing the fact that BT don’t offer 4K 50fps on the atv with the fact that the ATV can do it.

Soldato
Taken from btsports forum.....

“On ATV4K, if you hardset the resolution to 1080 and have match content for dynamic range and frame rate enabled, then when you click the 'tile' to access the BT Sport Ultimate stream you will get 1080 50 FPS HDR10.

If you hardset the resolution to 4K, then when click the Ultimate stream 'tile' you will get 4K 50 FPS SDR.

The ATV4K CANNOT do 4K HDR/DV at greater than 30 FPS.

The ATV4K can do 4K HDR/DV at 24/25/30 FPS.

If match frame rate is enabled then when the ATV4K is doing 4K HDR 25 FPS, then refresh rate of the device is 50hz and each frame is shown twice. Similarly when it's doing 4K HDR 30 FPS then the refresh rate is 60hz with each frame being shown twice.

Hopefully this clears everything up. “

Soldato
Don’t you need HDMI 2.1 to do 4k60HDR? It’s basically a brand new standard.

2.0 (a) added 4k60 (b) added HDR but to do both you need 2.1.

ATV is HDMI 2.0 as are most TVs unless you bought a high end set this year.

Soldato
Don’t you need HDMI 2.1 to do 4k60HDR? It’s basically a brand new standard.

2.0 (a) added 4k60 (b) added HDR but to do both you need 2.1.

ATV is HDMI 2.0 as are most TVs unless you bought a high end set this year.

HDMI 2.0 is fine for 4k60, as indeed consoles pump it out no problem. 4k60 HDR BT Sport works great on my Xbox One X.

What time of year did the ATV come out? I still kind of fancy one, but hope that a new revision is due with proper bitstream audio support?

Soldato
HDMI 2.0 is fine for 4k60, as indeed consoles pump it out no problem. 4k60 HDR BT Sport works great on my Xbox One X.

What time of year did the ATV come out? I still kind of fancy one, but hope that a new revision is due with proper bitstream audio support?
The Apple TV 4K came out September 2017 so it’ll be 3 years old this September coming.

Good chance it’ll get a refresh then. :)

Soldato
I bought an Apple TV over the weekend mainly for the homekit hub feature, can't say I'm overly impressed to be honest.

The remote is pretty awful, it's not as fast and fluid as I'd hoped. Launching apps doesn't seem any quicker than my 2017 Samsung TV.

My main issue with it, is that last night whilst watching the morning show it must have stopped and buffered five times. I also seemed to have a crash where trying to go back to the home menu would just show in a grey screen. Had to pull the power cable about the back in the end. Then it seemed to want to stick on 1080p, took me ages before I could select the 4k, but after doing that, going back to the home menu seemed to show a black screen for 10 seconds.

Not sure it was worth the £179 I paid!

Regarding 4k HDR at 60hz. The ATV can do it. There's a thread on AVS forums which shows it working.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah as stated you really should set the default to SDR and have match dynamic range and match frame rate enabled otherwise you're viewing SDR content in HDR which is wrong.

When having it set to this, is it normal when viewing say BBC iplayer that the ATV goes blank for a few seconds, then the same when returning back to the menu?

Soldato
When having it set to this, is it normal when viewing say BBC iplayer that the ATV goes blank for a few seconds, then the same when returning back to the menu?

Yes thats normal, I watch Netflix and when I watch stuff and then back out of a TV show/movie the screen will go blank for a second or so, I presume thats where It's just matching the current content displayed with that setting set.

Soldato
iPlayer stuff will be 50Hz so if your display setting is 60Hz it will switch which blanks the display, same for 24Hz content

HDMI 2.1 has a new feature called Quick Media Switching which should prevent this when we have HDMI 2.1 devices.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/QuickMediaSwitching

Back
Top Bottom