My thermal flask test thread.

Soldato
I am unreasonably excited about the ~ science ~ experiment. Less so about how to make tea arguments :/

Good job OP :thumbs up:

This is where I am. Love it!

Why not give us the test parameters and let others contribute results? I have a Chilly's bottle too (I forget what size mind you, but if loads of us participate though, you can have results at varying sizes!) :)

Soldato
Just the temperature... anyways i will take on board the criticism to amend my testing but mainly the temperature it can retain.

Apparently from what i know, the stanley flask is the one i would point to you because it is built like a tank, has survived 4000 ft drop, being run over by a car and a category 5 hurricane.

Stanleys own website claims that with what i have just typed.
Sounds like just what I need
And was only a suggestion
Not at all intended as any sort of criticism

Soldato
milk in the flask?? no no no

seperate bottle for the milk
tried this and found the tea ended up stewed ,i find the 2 bag milk sandwich method with no mixing gives a perfect fresh cup ,im not really a tea drinker but on a coastal walk its just a necessity for enjoyment and re hydration
again theres no right answer just my opinion through years of errrr research
im a yorkshireman also

Man of Honour
As somebody that has never owned a thermos I feel I need to follow this thread just in case one day I decide to buy one, with the knowledge gained I shall know exactly what one to buy. Subscribed!

Soldato
Snarky GD comments aside :p I think the science of this will be interesting.

Some means of comparing different sized containers would be handy. For travel I use a one-click cup and find it certainly keeps my coffee hot for as long as I need it to, although I've never tested the claimed 2 hours as I can't stay off my fix long enough. That's just under half a litre in size though.

Soldato
the more flasks are coming from amazon prime ? you could be waiting.

what's the pre-heat strategy ?
will be interesting to see the build of the zorsky***, they have a reputation, and associated price tag.
but, for anything but sports where it could get banged around glass is still best ? walking/skiing/climbing excepted - never dented a metal nonetheless.

aren't there some titanium ones floating about ?... would love that for a bike frame.

Associate
OP
the more flasks are coming from amazon prime ? you could be waiting.

what's the pre-heat strategy ?
will be interesting to see the build of the zorsky***, they have a reputation, and associated price tag.
but, for anything but sports where it could get banged around glass is still best ? walking/skiing/climbing excepted - never dented a metal nonetheless.

aren't there some titanium ones floating about ?... would love that for a bike frame.

Pre heat strategy well, from the start put boiled water in it and see how hot the water will be every 6 hours until 24 hours and have it as that.

So yea from start to finish just put hot water in and just leave it as that.

Also my thermos flask will be delivered today and yes i bought all my flasks from amazon uk as well as my thermometer.

I will start asap, today is very likely as the stuff i need will come today.

That is my tactic.

Last edited:
Soldato
My ex brother in law had a Tartan one and he swore by it. One day on M6 he was stuck for hours and needed a pee -so dumped his tea overboard and filled flask with pee. - He said when he got home and emptied it out it was still at body temp.
That seems to be the one to get. ;)

Soldato
Will the OP be testing contents of varying temperature and viscosity?

The best flask for keeping boiling hot tea may not be the best for warm baked beans, for example.

And what if the flask is only half-full?

We need to know.

Associate
OP
Will the OP be testing contents of varying temperature and viscosity?

The best flask for keeping boiling hot tea may not be the best for warm baked beans, for example.

And what if the flask is only half-full?

We need to know.

Well i say this, for a start i will be testing boiling water from the start so i will put boiling water in and i intend to fill it up fully.

I can do further tests like filling it up half way and test that.

So yea but my first test will be all about boiling water for tea, but i agree with you the best flasks for hot water may not be the best for lukewarm food.

I admit these tests and what i am after is what flask is best for boiling water test that is you see.

Anyways people here are also welcome to publish their test results with varying sizes of thermo flasks.

Yep just put boiling water only in the test flasks that i will put in.

Dan.

Back
Top Bottom