My thermal flask test thread.

Associate
Hi to all,

If you want to join in with the testing using whatever thermometer your welcome too will have to state what thermometer was used for testing and we will test every 6 hours up to 12 hours and preferably pre heat the flask with boiling water by fully filling up the flask for 2 minutes and then drain and then refill fully again with boiling water or not (if your doing a cold test that is) and then start the test.

We will be using this for the results > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r0ZEVhnXF97QpugLyveziQB0vIAPz8T1bz6sRLTNlUE/edit#gid=0 if you want to publish your results on that google doc link, ask for editing rights as for new people or people you can only view it.

I have decided to make a thread about thermal flask bottles, which are designed to keep your liquid hot or cold over many hours.

The reason why i have made this thread is because so many sites test these thermal flask bottles and they say that this is the best you can get or this is the best.

So me being me going through all these websites, i have bought these thermal flasks the ones they say is the very best and i want to know first hand what is the very best, well these flasks would be one of the best or the best.

I want to test these flasks so i will need to get something to test the temperature of the water etc,

I have bought 1 litre flask bottles so the test will be fair because bigger the flask apparently the better it can retain heat for instance.

I have a sigg hot and cold 1 litre bottle, a stanley the classic bottle 1 litre and a klean kanteen tk pro 1 litre bottle and i have more flasks coming as well so i will wait for them to be delivered to my door.

83350331_10157914904332375_5742929367097409536_o.jpg

Right well i have a thermos ultimate series flask 900ml coming and as well as a Zojirushi flask coming.

From what i have read apparently the thermos ultimate flask will be the contender for the title of being the very best flask at containing heat because many people have said that this is the best flask they have had out of many.

I will have 5 thermal flasks in total, 3 in the picture above all 1 litre and a 900ml thermos ultimate flask as well as a 2 litre Zojirushi flask, i won't be testing the Zojirushi because it is 2 litres and is not fair because a bigger thermal flask retains heat better when compared to a 1 litre flask.

Apart from the thermos ultimate flask, the Zojirushi flask is also considered to be among the very best like the same as the thermos ultimate flask, why these two because of what i have read about them, they keep the liquid so hot it will burn your lip as in keeping the water hot from when you put liquid into them and being like that same temperature 6 or 12 hours later that is.

So i want to test these flasks so if the information is credible or not well that is your choice.

Any criticism is welcome.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Whatever happened to the good old days of the tartan thermos?

Well i want this test of mine to be fair, and any recommendations like the tartan i will buy and test it, but had a quick look there isn't many sites that sell the tartan.

I have plenty of money to buy thermal flasks heh, so any make you bring up i will buy it.

Dan.

Associate
OP
test also include how tough they are?
surviving being dropped etc
though nowadays they probably dont have glass in them
but even so a bit of every day life abuse to see how they cope may be of interest

Just the temperature... anyways i will take on board the criticism to amend my testing but mainly the temperature it can retain.

Apparently from what i know, the stanley flask is the one i would point to you because it is built like a tank, has survived 4000 ft drop, being run over by a car and a category 5 hurricane.

Stanleys own website claims that with what i have just typed.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
the more flasks are coming from amazon prime ? you could be waiting.

what's the pre-heat strategy ?
will be interesting to see the build of the zorsky***, they have a reputation, and associated price tag.
but, for anything but sports where it could get banged around glass is still best ? walking/skiing/climbing excepted - never dented a metal nonetheless.

aren't there some titanium ones floating about ?... would love that for a bike frame.

Pre heat strategy well, from the start put boiled water in it and see how hot the water will be every 6 hours until 24 hours and have it as that.

So yea from start to finish just put hot water in and just leave it as that.

Also my thermos flask will be delivered today and yes i bought all my flasks from amazon uk as well as my thermometer.

I will start asap, today is very likely as the stuff i need will come today.

That is my tactic.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Will the OP be testing contents of varying temperature and viscosity?

The best flask for keeping boiling hot tea may not be the best for warm baked beans, for example.

And what if the flask is only half-full?

We need to know.

Well i say this, for a start i will be testing boiling water from the start so i will put boiling water in and i intend to fill it up fully.

I can do further tests like filling it up half way and test that.

So yea but my first test will be all about boiling water for tea, but i agree with you the best flasks for hot water may not be the best for lukewarm food.

I admit these tests and what i am after is what flask is best for boiling water test that is you see.

Anyways people here are also welcome to publish their test results with varying sizes of thermo flasks.

Yep just put boiling water only in the test flasks that i will put in.

Dan.

Associate
OP
Anyways that is my mission for this test to be transparent as possible and for people to know which flask to get.

So food for thought, i am up for doing all sorts of tests to see what flask or whatever is best for this or that, like storing hot food how long it lasts but yea obviously you don't put food in a flask hah, but one designed for storing food though.

But first will be the boiling water test.

I bet the thermos flask will be first but will know from the test results.

Associate
OP
Right well i will start my 24 hour test run with boiling water, i'l be testing 4 flasks because about 5 minutes ago the rest of what i needed has arrived as with the picture below.

Going to have to remove the paper instruction thingy in side the flask i think.

83027121_10157916635662375_2386977969387077632_o.jpg

Edit

Ready to go

82905193_10157916663562375_483436674114650112_o.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you warm the flasks first?

A quick swish around with about a cups worth of hot water, when you tip it out it's surprisingly cool.

Sigh no i didn't do that, i will have to do another 24 hour test but with the flasks heated as you say if requested.

Anyways it will still give us a good idea on how good the flask is which was not heated though (i hope), to be fair all the flasks i test were all cold and all of them had the same starting temperature when i filled them all with boiling water.

I will give my results very soon now for the 6 hr test.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok here are my results for 6 hours thus far.

From start 0 hours in all flasks the water was all 93c

Now 6 hours later the results are below and it is a close one so far.

And all flasks started cold

1st place is the thermos ultimate (900ml) at 87c
2nd place is the stanley legendary classic bottle (1 litre) at 85c
3rd place is the klean tk pro (1 litre) at 83c
4th place is the sigg hot and cold (1 litre) at 80c.

Next up will be around midnight for the 12 hr test.

Dan

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive already said my stanley is amazing and a lifetime guarantee but there is room for a little improvement as i can feel a little warmth through the screw stopper thingy ,still gives me hot tea after many hours ,just saying ,for ultimate

Well being realistic, 6 - 12 hours after you have filled it up with boiling water it will still be piping hot.

6-12 hours is ample time for most people and yea the Stanley will definitely do the job there the classic legend that i am testing, i don't know what Stanley you have though so i can't comment on how well it keeps the temperature hot or cold from the results that i post here first hand.

Either way we will find out how hot the Stanley legend classic will be when i post results around about midnight, i think roughly it will be likely to be piping hot albeit a few degrees lower from the 6 hr test, so take that with a pinch of salt until i post the evidence/results.

Or if your outlandish you want a flask that will give your hot fluid (hot as possible)for at least 24 hours.

All these flasks are being tested at room temperature of around 18c.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Excellent. I agree, three tests would be good and take an average. It's interesting the gap between them all seemed to happen in the first 6 hours and didn't change a huge amount in the next 18 hours?

Can we please have -

a) Amazon links to the flasks being tested
b) Amazon links to equipment used (Just the thermometer I guess, no need for the kettle!)
c) Google Sheet shared with results on. (inc product, with link, price and size)

:)
Thermometer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXI5HYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thermos ultimate 900ml - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013YMS8RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Stanley classic legend 1 litre - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P6D1QG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Klean kanteen tk pro 1 litre - https://www.kleankanteen.co.uk/coll...ated-tkpro-32oz-1000ml?variant=12569959497802 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klean-Kant...anteen+tkpro&qid=1579432193&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1
sigg hot and cold 1 litre- i can't find the appropriate link

What do you mean by c which is google sheet?

Associate
OP
And maybe add a dash of milk to each as most folks do. I've been following this thread all weekend now I'm thinking I could do with a flask to take fishing with me. Good dedication staying up late and getting up early in the name of this tests:D

No problem, was a bit worried i would not be awake to take the 18 hour test results.

I think my thermometer is a bit meh, i need a professional one so will be looking at google results for one,

Dan.

Back
Top Bottom