Streatham shooting: Man 'shot dead in the street' as police declare terror-related incident

Caporegime
Making serious conversation in a serious topic isn't being triggered, what is this Tumblr? I'm giving perspective as someone living in the nearby area for the sake of a 40min bus ride.

You've come in and basically joke trolled a serious topic about women getting stabbed in the back, which I didn't realise were jokes as they were so unfunny, but I'll reply if someone directly asks me a question like you did.

You do genuinely do come across as an arrogant and negative person for doing that, that's my opinion, you're entitled to yours too.

Ok cool.

I genuinely won't remember who you are tomorrow morning, and you can think what ever you want about what ever you want.

I honestly don't know where you fit on the autism spectrum. I've never been called arrogant before but I like it, thanks.

Lived in London 30 something years too. Just giving you perspective on a "tradergy" that seems to happen every other week now, I'm glad I left that ********.

Caporegime
Associate
Yeah but the probation service probs thought he was fine to be released while the police simultaneously apparently decided to keep a close eye on him and for good reason it seems.
And how much money and resources does it take to 'monitor' these people once released? Police are already stretched yet there were apparently armed police on his tail the whole time...
well they didn't kept a good eye him this time did they arm police or not two got stab

Associate
Ok cool.

I genuinely won't remember who you are tomorrow morning, and you can think what ever you want about what ever you want.

I honestly don't know where you fit on the autism spectrum. I've never been called arrogant before but I like it, thanks.

Lived in London 30 something years too. Just giving you perspective on a "tradergy" that seems to happen every other week now, I'm glad I left that ********.

Well you left London, so even though you do know a lot about London, it's easy to joke as an outsider. I still live here and am far closer to what's happened. I appreciate your point about things getting overblown in the media, but this is getting close to areas where a lot of people had never to deal with any kind of this kind of terrorism, it's a serious topic worthy of serious discussion.

I can assure you you're totally wrong about me, so in fairness, I'll accept I could be wrong about you being arrogant.

Forget all about this by all means fine, but I see no reason not to be cordial from now on as you've actually explained your perspective rather than joking/trolling.

Soldato
He's already committed a crime. You been huffing ether again Einstein?

I'm thinking it needs someone with more substance than you've got there to sell a pitch for a life (or however long you believe) sentence for what he initially got jailed for as a teenager.

You're frothing about wanting a massive sentence while judging his actions retrospectively.

That's not how justice works so it needs you to explain how a massive sentence gets justified before the evidence to support it exists.

He got 3 years 4 months for collecting information and talking in favour of violent terror crime at the age of 18. That sounds like hard time for words but so be it.

According to your pre-crime punishment thinking, this should have been a life (or however long you believe) sentence because he later did commit a violent terror crime.

Commissario
He's not in charge of sentencing guidelines though.

And neither are the judges which is something our resident "the judges are soft" lot never seem to grasp ;)

The government is in charge of sentencing guidelines which the judges have to have an exceptionally good reason to ignore.

It's the government's fault that we've not the prison spaces so sentences are kept short, it's the government's fault that the judges have to give discounts on sentences for guilty plea, and it's the government's fualt that the CPS is so underfunded that they'll push for a guilty plea for a lesser crime in the hope that it'll at least get the case finished with (or because they don't have the resources to pursue the charge that is actually correct).

Khan doesn't get to choose how much the police, cps, courts and prisons get either so he's not at fault especially when it's members of this current government (and it's direct predecessor run by the same party) who have gutted the law enforcement and judicial services in this country despite repeated and very clear warnings from those services.

Caporegime
He got 3 years 4 months for collecting information and talking in favour of violent terror crime at the age of 18. That sounds like hard time for words but so be it.

Well that's what he was sentenced to on paper, what he actually got was more like half that.... Given he was actively encouraging his girlfriend to kill her parents on the basis they weren't believes and did indeed seem to be radicalised then I'd rather have him locked up for a few years (and actually serve that time inside).

Caporegime
And neither are the judges which is something our resident "the judges are soft" lot never seem to grasp ;)

The government is in charge of sentencing guidelines which the judges have to have an exceptionally good reason to ignore.

Where did someone claim otherwise?

It's all well and good thrown in comments like this but they're seemingly based on your own assumptions/projections rather than what has actually been posted.

Caporegime
Would it be Met with that kind of response? - that looked a bit more than just some plain clothes officers - definitely interesting the way they had them kitted out.

Well I guess they're either Met officers of some flavour or 'Security Service' officers.

Soldato
Sadiq Khan saying that these types of attacks are "part and parcel" of city life is merely a thinly veiled attempt at justifying these types of attacks and in doing so normalises them.

They shouldn't be a part of a of anybody's life, whether they live in a huge city or a tiny village. It's that simple.

Capodecina
Soldato

It's the government's fault that we've not the prison spaces so sentences are kept short, it's the government's fault that the judges have to give discounts on sentences for guilty plea, and it's the government's fualt that the CPS is so underfunded that they'll push for a guilty plea for a lesser crime in the hope that it'll at least get the case finished with (or because they don't have the resources to pursue the charge that is actually correct).

Khan doesn't get to choose how much the police, cps, courts and prisons get either so he's not at fault especially when it's members of this current government (and it's direct predecessor run by the same party) who have gutted the law enforcement and judicial services in this country despite repeated and very clear warnings from those services.
All of this is very true; unenthusiastic though I am about him, blaming Sadiq Khan is quite pathetic.

However, the real question is what strategy will overcome the radicalisation that seems to affect these religious fanatics?
I do find it hard to believe that simply locking up for life any religious fanatic will eliminate this problem.
As someone pointed out earlier - thank God we don't allow any Tom, Dick or Harry to buy any sort of firearm at a car boot sale.

My sympathy is reserved for the three people who were injured and their friends and families; one victim has been left with life-threatening injuries.

Suspended
Where did someone claim otherwise?

It's all well and good thrown in comments like this but they're seemingly based on your own assumptions/projections rather than what has actually been posted.

Maybe this?
Maybe people need to start killing judges, then perhaps the average person on the street will get the protection required and afforded by long prison terms.

Caporegime
Maybe this?

Possibly, but I suspect that he wasn't being completely serious with that post.

Anyway I wouldn't completely dismiss the influence of the legal profession on how governments chose to set sentence guidelines.

More to the point though people questioning these lenient sentences are expressing a valid viewpoint regardless.

Back
Top Bottom