• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Same exact card and monitor lol. Got it with a 3570k at 4.4 tho ive gone to 4.2 as in one game it was making the cpu get warm at 70c.

Tell me, do you have issues with 2020 drivers at all? And how is freesync for you as i hear fs suppose to be buttery smooth if in the limits but it doesnt feel like that to me i might not get tearing per say but it doesnt feel smooth when rotating a character around and watching media like anime on chrome doesnt feel nice to watch on fast moving scenes. I use cru to expand the fs range from 48-75 to 40-75, i did use 38 for awhile but bumped it up to be a bit safer.

I did a full system upgrade last April so built mine around a core i5 9600k and a z390 Aorus Elite. CPU is oc'd to 5Ghz but with a -2 AVX offset. In BL3, CPU util runs at 40%-45% on average with no 100% spikes in the testing I've done recently on the current driver (I'm playing on DX12).

I have tested every 20 driver since 19.12.2 and every one has resulted in BL3 losing 6-8% frame rate when comparing on a like for like basis with 19.12.1 (same OC, graphics and display settings). Until 20.1.4, I reverted back to 19.12.1 straight away but I've been on 20.1.4 for the week it's been out now and it's been OK except for a issue where BL3 issues a crash report approx 1 in 5 times when exiting to desktop (annoying but not the end of the world). I've worked around the frame rate drop by lowering volumetric fog and screen space reflections to medium so gained 30 fps overall. This has pushed me outside the freesync range which I didnt have before so prompted me to try to find a way to cap it. However like you, I don't think the game has ever been buttery smooth - more like butter with toast crumbs stuck in it :D. There's always been the odd stutter, skipped frame or input lag. I used to have vsync enabled when I started playing the game (until I realised I hardly every dipped below the fs range) and TBH I havent noticed any difference other than screen tearing in the 30 fps cut scenes. Not sure what the answer is or whether I can be bothered trying to find out anymore.

I'm interested in giving CRU a whirl. It's not an app I have ever used. Did you try pushing this monitor above 75hz?

Soldato
I did a full system upgrade last April so built mine around a core i5 9600k and a z390 Aorus Elite. CPU is oc'd to 5Ghz but with a -2 AVX offset. In BL3, CPU util runs at 40%-45% on average with no 100% spikes in the testing I've done recently on the current driver (I'm playing on DX12).

I have tested every 20 driver since 19.12.2 and every one has resulted in BL3 losing 6-8% frame rate when comparing on a like for like basis with 19.12.1 (same OC, graphics and display settings). Until 20.1.4, I reverted back to 19.12.1 straight away but I've been on 20.1.4 for the week it's been out now and it's been OK except for a issue where BL3 issues a crash report approx 1 in 5 times when exiting to desktop (annoying but not the end of the world). I've worked around the frame rate drop by lowering volumetric fog and screen space reflections to medium so gained 30 fps overall. This has pushed me outside the freesync range which I didnt have before so prompted me to try to find a way to cap it. However like you, I don't think the game has ever been buttery smooth - more like butter with toast crumbs stuck in it :D. There's always been the odd stutter, skipped frame or input lag. I used to have vsync enabled when I started playing the game (until I realised I hardly every dipped below the fs range) and TBH I havent noticed any difference other than screen tearing in the 30 fps cut scenes. Not sure what the answer is or whether I can be bothered trying to find out anymore.

I'm interested in giving CRU a whirl. It's not an app I have ever used. Did you try pushing this monitor above 75hz?

From what i read the monitor doesnt like going above 75hz so didnt try it. Yeah im using 19.12.1 atm as the last of the goodish drivers. Has frame rate limiter in and not fussed about new interface or the boost or interger things so not missing em. I dont like chill tbh either as i tried it a few times but it just makes games feel weird cos of the min and max i set as my fs range tho didnt try 75/75 before but dont need to with frl on that or vsync if it works well as some games it will some dont. I hear enhanced vsync isnt good so i never used that either and keep it off.

Associate
Have you set in global graphics which is overriding the game setting? What are the 3 beeps for? I dont have a motherboard speaker so dont get any beeps. If just replacing the same driver you could first try a reinstall without a wipe to preserve the settings. I'm sure I will get shot down in flames for suggesting such a thing :D

How do you find RTSS? I was hoping to avoid using 3rd party apps but now I have seen the potential for frame limiting on my power and temps I'm keen find a way to optimise my fps at the top of my freesync range. Chill just isnt cutting the mustard
Yeah it's off in the global setting.. but even time I launch a new game it reenables itself. The beeping noise is in the audio and is what happens when chill is turned on in game, I was confused as to what that noise was until I googled it.
I fixed it by reinstalling the drivers, was a bug it seems.
RTSS is much better and convenient, I just set the cap to 150 global as I'm on 155hz and forget about it with freesync on. Without RTSS some game menus are 300+FPS which causes coil whine and older games like C's:source or dead rising 1 are upwards of 250fps which is a waste of gpu power/electricity

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
New driver time:

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.1 Highlights
Support For

• Zombie Army 4: Dead War™
Fixed Issues
  • Some users may experience higher than expected memory usage when recording with Radeon ReLive.
  • HDR content may become overly dark or overly bright in some DirectX®12 API games on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • The camera element may exhibit stutter in recorded clips or during streaming using Radeon ReLive.
  • The scroll bar is missing for some users in the Compatibility tab of Radeon Software.
  • Radeon Software may fail to detect VR games when SteamVR is running or has been started.
  • Radeon Anti-Lag enable and disable beep notifications may be played in error when individually pressing keys assigned to the hotkey.
  • The Snap Settings feature may fail to apply settings for Auto Tuning controls if other Auto Tuning settings were already applied.
Known Issues
  • Some DirectX®11 API games may experience an application crash when performing a task switch with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled.
  • Enabling feature for Radeon ReLive such as Instant Replay, Instant Gif or In-Game Replay may cause the display or UI to flicker or stutter.
  • A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
  • Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
  • The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
  • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • A black screen may occur when performing a mode change with a limited number of displays on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products

Associate
Yeah it's off in the global setting.. but even time I launch a new game it reenables itself. The beeping noise is in the audio and is what happens when chill is turned on in game, I was confused as to what that noise was until I googled it.
I fixed it by reinstalling the drivers, was a bug it seems.
RTSS is much better and convenient, I just set the cap to 150 global as I'm on 155hz and forget about it with freesync on. Without RTSS some game menus are 300+FPS which causes coil whine and older games like C's:source or dead rising 1 are upwards of 250fps which is a waste of gpu power/electricity

Glad you sorted it.

I gave RTSS a spin tonight and am impressed with it's simplicity and effectiveness. And in my min-max obsessive compulsion, I ran some comparative tests in Borderlands 3 using RTSS, Radeon Chill and the in-game limiter with 75, 72 and 70 fps limits. The Radeon performance metrics for each test were pretty consistent for each limit with little difference between the methods. Visually I couldnt tell any difference either. One thing that stands out with all methods is that there is a marked overshoot of the limit so the commonly repeated recommendation to dial down the limit a few notches below the freesync target is most definitely valid. In my case all the way back to 70 fps was needed to avoid too many frames exceeding 75. For everyday use, the BL3 in-game limiter would have been my first choice if it didn't randomly revert back to unlimited (possible BL3 DX12 bug?) and RTSS, as good as it is, is another piece of software I'd have to run at startup. So I think i'm going to stick with Chill with a 70-70 limit for now. Time to move on to the next AMD calamity... 20.2.1 to try tomorrow :eek:

Frame-Limiter.jpg

Associate
Might join you.
DO IT! (Said in Arnie Predator voice)

20.2.1 installed on my PC this morning and nothing broken so far. It even showed a half frame improvement benchmarking from 20.1.4, although I'm not getting overly excited about that. Time will tell if any of the minor issues I've had are fixed but not holding out much hope looking at the release notes. I'm now fully onboard with the 2020 drivers after working around my main issue with the BL3 frame rate drop. As an obsessive min-maxer, I really like the stats you get from it :)

Associate
I've also installed 20.2.1 this morning about 2am. Had a quick go in StarCitizen and well yeah. Not much to report, but I'll have a go at the games that did black screen for me. (Pubg Civ6 GS)

Got a few more games since I had tried the 2020 drives, like GTA5 a plague tale and shadow keep for destiny 2.

So far so good over the 20.1. 1 to 20.1.3. I didn't try 20.1.4 and just kept using 19.12.1 as well as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But so far touch my wood, 20.2.1 seems good. Looking forward in seeing more posts about stability in the February amd drivers.

Caporegime
Known Issues
  • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • A black screen may occur when performing a mode change with a limited number of displays on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products

Got to feel for the 5000 series owners, its ridiculous.

Associate
Got to feel for the 5000 series owners, its ridiculous.

I'm a 5700xt owner and haven't had any issues like this. They way you portray it, every 5000 series have they problems.

Admittedly I have had random black screen crashes in the past but not once with the 2020 Adrenaline drivers.

All my problems were solved after disabling ULPS in the registry for my GPU.

Associate
DO IT! (Said in Arnie Predator voice)

20.2.1 installed on my PC this morning and nothing broken so far. It even showed a half frame improvement benchmarking from 20.1.4, although I'm not getting overly excited about that.

The new AMD drivers will turn you into a Goddamned sexual tyrannosaurus, just like @5t3v0 ...

Just running with the Predator theme. :D A half a frame improvement, you say? That's better than losing half a frame! SOLD!!!

Associate
All my problems were solved after disabling ULPS in the registry for my GPU.

But to be honest when I spent 340 for the card I shouldn't have to edit the registry or anything other than plug and play. That's my main issue. I'm lucky where I could edit the registry or another changes. But we shouldn't period. Plug and play my boy. Plug and play.

Back
Top Bottom