why all the hate for hs2?

Caporegime
So Boris says that bridge will cost £15bn, others say £20bn, which can only mean it will cost several billion even if it isn't built. And £30bn+ if it is built.

Last edited:
Soldato
So Boris says that bridge will cost £15bn, others say £20bn, which can only mean it will cost several billion even if itswnit built. And £30bn+ if it is built.

Neither of these figures include upgrading the roads to the bridge. I don’t know anything about the roads in Ireland but they’re not dual carriageway anyway... In Scotland the two main roads leading to the area are the A75 and A77, neither of which are dual carriageway and are in absolutely atrocious condition at the moment. To me, the major issue is that the bridge and the associated infrastructure will require massive swathes of virgin land. To be done right it will require new roads at least ten miles before the bridge that will cut across miles of isolated countryside.

Permabanned
The ferry sucks it used to be 4hr P&O To Scotland lol. And we need the boost and we need the bridge. But not at Torr head it should be Larne ffs Torr to Magilligan Point is the finest coastline in NI, Indeeeanywhere in the UK Google maps it on an East to West journey. But the area is too rural and that is why it is nice Larne has links to Belfast anyways so ruin Larne even more.

A tunnel to Scotland would have been better still though, So it could carry communications and other things, Other Nations would do it we should have done it earlier look at China they do these things on a daily basis they end up mostly paying for thrmselves long term. And ofc what about cutting down on air miles? It would be a green option unless they can design a bridge that could harness wind and wave power and be self sufficent and then some.

Soldato
Yeah, absolutely; lots of opportunities to enjoy a retail experience while queuing on either side of the bridge; I'm sure that the Scotch Distillers' Confederation will be downing doubles as I type ;)

Another thought...

Is this a proposal for strengthening the GB-NI Union?

Or one that would make the consequences of a united and independent Ireland easier to manage?

It could serve both purposes really. IE It covers all circumstances

So might not be such a bad deal/idea after all. ;) :cool:

Soldato
Ahh, but would it be free?

Toll bridge, Bridge remains the property of England/Wales. :cool:

It’s unlikely it’ll be free but as far as I know there are now no toll bridges in Scotland. Both the (relatively recent) Skye Bridge and Queensferry Crossing are toll free. I can’t see the SNP being too enamoured about it as they’ll finally be forced to pay for road upgrades but in an independent Scotland, there’s no way such a vital transport artery will allowed to remain under rUK control.

Permabanned
It’s unlikely it’ll be free but as far as I know there are now no toll bridges in Scotland. Both the (relatively recent) Skye Bridge and Queensferry Crossing are toll free. I can’t see the SNP being too enamoured about it as they’ll finally be forced to pay for road upgrades but in an independent Scotland, there’s no way such a vital transport artery will allowed to remain under rUK control.

Then if he is a Unionist, Building it would be a good idea. The best thing to do is to spin a spiders web like that (Think EU) and leave many what if how and but problems for any future indy refs.

And being out of the EU, They would be in full control over any Indy ref they could in theory do what Sturgeon said and keep Scotland there indefintely.

Caporegime
Another thought...

Is this a proposal for strengthening the GB-NI Union?

Or one that would make the consequences of a united and independent Ireland easier to manage?

It could serve both purposes really. IE It covers all circumstances

So might not be such a bad deal/idea after all. ;) :cool:

Clearly it is to get ready for when NI becomes part of Eire again and then Scotland gains independence and joins the EU it will be connected with its nearest EU member.

Permabanned
Fab news, no money for the NHS, the 350million has not appeared, more people on Universal Credit, not getting help, and yet HS2 has been given the go ahead, more people to loose their homes, and wildlife that will die. Fab, truly Fab......

Back
Top Bottom