Windows 10

Associate
Thanks for the infos guys. Agree on the OS being good at its core, it's the half finished paint job slapped on that even the toughest nitromors can't touch is the issue.

Will look into proton.

Associate
I only updated to win 10 begrudgingly to test my new GPU. I was one of those win7 fanboys who will never upgrade to the evil win10. I can't lie after deactivating all the telemetry and other trash, I do like win10 but I'm gonna set up pop os on a spare HD and see if I can get along with it. If all goes well drop windows altogether as win10 really seems more like spyware than an os. But I did get it as a free upgrade so I shouldn't whine too hard.

Soldato
Turning off Cortana will disable indexing and search function in windows.

it happened to me and him had to undo all the registry key changes made as well as the settings. Without the ability to type in function to access the settings is not a good situation to be in as W10 doesn’t organise things like other windows ie sensible place in control panels. Many of the essential settings are in the “All Setting” panels etc.

W10 and W7 are two very very different OS for different kind of usage and people.

W10 is meant to be more self managed and more user friendly and less clunky to the user than W7. Ie you see the stuff you need on the screen not all the programmes settings and what not.

But once you get behind it all the functionality that is in W7 is still there to a large extent but there are another set of controls.

I wish they can actually just get rid off the old icon control panel thingy and update it to the w10 tile style and be done with it all. It is freaking annoying that you have to go into control panel as well as that “all setting” thing to change network setting for instance. It’s just not streamlined. I hope now W7 is EOL they can get on with the next major overhaul of W10 to bring all interfaces to be under one hood.

Man of Honour
W10 and W7 are two very very different OS for different kind of usage and people.

Can say that again - even ignoring the other issues I wish they'd utilise the professional version to cater for people who actually do more than mainstream consumer tasks on an OS - way too often the OS tries to take matters out of my hands when it shouldn't - still not sure if that is because the developers are that out of touch or actually have disdain for the end user because there is no way as a developer I'd be happy with that as the end user experience/quality of life.

Ultimately the frontend on 10 is trash though - file explorer is a visually noisy half finished mess, lots of the UI elements of the OS in general still look like the intern whipped them up in paintbrush and I don't really rate the new settings system at all - I could kind of understand but not agree with the approach when taking into account the lowest common denominator (mobile) but it is just holding the OS back - whenever I try to troubleshoot problems on someone's Windows 10 build I inevitably end up having to go to the old settings which are now buried several layers deep in some cases which is a pain.

Even underneath there is still too many half-finished approaches and mismatching ideas it isn't just frontend issues.

Soldato
Can say that again - even ignoring the other issues I wish they'd utilise the professional version to cater for people who actually do more than mainstream consumer tasks on an OS - way too often the OS tries to take matters out of my hands when it shouldn't - still not sure if that is because the developers are that out of touch or actually have disdain for the end user because there is no way as a developer I'd be happy with that as the end user experience/quality of life.

Ultimately the frontend on 10 is trash though - file explorer is a visually noisy half finished mess, lots of the UI elements of the OS in general still look like the intern whipped them up in paintbrush and I don't really rate the new settings system at all - I could kind of understand but not agree with the approach when taking into account the lowest common denominator (mobile) but it is just holding the OS back - whenever I try to troubleshoot problems on someone's Windows 10 build I inevitably end up having to go to the old settings which are now buried several layers deep in some cases which is a pain.

Even underneath there is still too many half-finished approaches and mismatching ideas it isn't just frontend issues.
Personally I don’t mind what they are trying to do. IE making windows more like Mac OS for average consumer.

windows 10 is a darn lot easier to use for people lacking IT skills. Just type in or say what you want and it finds the app or file for ya.

but definitely not a finished article and I guess that’s why they are doing these incremental updates etc. Eventually - 100 yrs later, we may get there.

I have to say I have stopped tinkering with windows since windows 10 - 1) because it is so damn hard to find where things are 2) sometime it feels futile to do it as MS can overwrite the settings on each update and render the windows unusable 3) most of the time I don’t feel need for tinkering. I also use third party solutions to address things like privacy and data leaks.

all in all I like the stability it gives, the fresh look and feel on the surface and knowing that the OS won’t have an EOL is nice and assuring.

Soldato
Windows 10 Start Menu Suggests Firefox Users Switch to Edge

Microsoft has started using the Windows 10 Start Menu to suggest that Mozilla Firefox users switch to their new Microsoft Edge browser.

With the release of Microsoft's new Chromium-based Edge browser, Microsoft has started promoting the new browser when typing various keywords in the Windows 10 Start Menu.

Based on a Reddit Post, Windows 10 is displaying a suggestion to switch to Microsoft Edge when Firefox is installed or configured as the default browser.

This promotion comes in the form of a suggestion at the top of the Start Menu that states "Still using Firefox? Microsoft Edge is here".

edge-ad.jpg

Another user also posted to the Reddit thread about seeing a promotion for Microsoft Edge when they searched for Internet Explorer in the Start Menu.

Microsoft should be proud of its new Edge browser as it is faster, more compatible due to Chromium's codebase, and offers a wider range of extensions compared to the Microsoft Edge Legacy browser.

At the same time, people are torn about using the Start Menu to promote its product at the expense of another competing product.

Furthermore, Microsoft is known for pushing its Edge browser a little bit too hard in the past.

For example, in 2016 Microsoft began promoting Microsoft Edge and the Bing rewards programs through notifications from the Windows 10 taskbar.

Then in 2018, Microsoft began testing a feature in the Windows 10 Insider builds that would halt the installation of competing browsers and display an ad promoting Edge instead.

This tactic of halting a browser's install to promote Edge did not sit well with a lot of users and Microsoft never put it into practice.

Disable suggestions in the Windows 10 Start Menu

If you do not want Windows 10 to display suggestions like these in the Windows 10 Start Menu, you can disable it through the Windows settings.

To do this, go to Settings -> Personalization -> Start and disable the 'Show suggestions occasionally in Start' option as shown below.

show-suggestions.jpg

Source: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...t-menu-suggests-firefox-users-switch-to-edge/

Caporegime
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom