Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
I've heard of people using the oxford screamer <insert innuendo here>

Edit:
Even though I own the slot style disk lock arnt they easily bypassed with some very simple tools?

**Checks youtube**...yes pretty easily:
In fairness, the slot in that one the guys is breaking is massive, mine is the same thickness as a brake disc and the 'reach' is much shorter too so much harder to get something in the 'rear' end of it. That being said, I don't use it as a way of securing the bike, for me it's just a quick and easy visual deterrent for opportunistic thieves.
At the end of the day, if someone really wants your bike (or car etc.) they will be able to take it but if a disc lock, chain etc. makes them think twice about doing it then you're at least mitigating some of the potential chance of theft.
I don't really see the point in alarmed ones, again, if they are going to take the bike then chances are the alarmed unit won't stop them or it'll make them damage the bike in spite.

Soldato
In fairness, the slot in that one the guys is breaking is massive, mine is the same thickness as a brake disc and the 'reach' is much shorter too so much harder to get something in the 'rear' end of it. That being said, I don't use it as a way of securing the bike, for me it's just a quick and easy visual deterrent for opportunistic thieves.
At the end of the day, if someone really wants your bike (or car etc.) they will be able to take it but if a disc lock, chain etc. makes them think twice about doing it then you're at least mitigating some of the potential chance of theft.
I don't really see the point in alarmed ones, again, if they are going to take the bike then chances are the alarmed unit won't stop them or it'll make them damage the bike in spite.

I agree that all locks are basically there as a deterrent. At least with an alarmed lock there is more chance to alert you to a theft while you can still do something about it.

It's the reason I have an Almax chain since the only way I know to get though it is with an angle grinder

Soldato
At least with an alarmed lock there is more chance to alert you to a theft while you can still do something about it.
Would you really want to risk confronting someone and personal injury (or worse) over a motorbike though? I know I would rather someone stole my bike than attacked me for daring to confront them...but I don't have an expensive or that interesting a bike to make it all that worth stealing. Obviously there is the chance that they think it's not alarmed, try it, it goes off and they scarper I'm just playing the worst case scenarios.

Soldato
I've got one of those Abus detecto ones also, are you able to put it on without it going off?, don't think i've managed it.

Still no sign of dry weather here to get out on the new bike, looks like it might dry up and sun comes out then comes the sleet and snow, i doubt i'll get out until March now.

Soldato
Would you really want to risk confronting someone and personal injury (or worse) over a motorbike though? I know I would rather someone stole my bike than attacked me for daring to confront them...but I don't have an expensive or that interesting a bike to make it all that worth stealing. Obviously there is the chance that they think it's not alarmed, try it, it goes off and they scarper I'm just playing the worst case scenarios.

I couldn't stand by and let my bike get taken. Got lads next door that would come out if I made enough noise as well

Soldato
fJHRcNCh.jpg.png

Managed to get a short first ride on the new bike today before the crap weather came back, best surprise ever it has a quickshifter fitted the dealer never mentioned!, just wish i could have stayed out longer.

Soldato
Sent back my racer heated gloves, medium setting isn't very warm and high setting is good but battery doesn't last very long so going back to heated grips.

Tea Drinker
Don
I've got one of those Abus detecto ones also, are you able to put it on without it going off?, don't think i've managed it..

Sometimes :p only just received it in the post, still struggling to get it to fix and arm first time.

Quite tricky but worth it.

Like the feature that reminds you it's on when you sit on the bike :) got the bike under a cover and all this wind flapping the cover around it hasn't gone off accidentally which is nice.

The chain and loop is a great idea as wel.

Soldato
Well after not riding since about July last year just got my insurance sorted for my bike. MOT and a service booked in for Friday so will be back on the road.

Wasn't able to have my bike with me for where I was living last year but currently living at my grandmothers until our new house is built and both here and there I'll be able to have my bike again. Literally can't wait. Going to have to take it slowly first day but I'm super excited right now

Back
Top Bottom