Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
Football is irrelevant vs anyones health, full stop.

Doesn't matter if it is the fans, players, stadium staff or the manager/owner. The possibility of causing any fatalities by continuing games seems that it should not be open for discussion.

Sport (if you can call football sport anymore) is about celebrating an individual or teams success and effort put it, but if those taking part or celebrating are likely to get sick, or make someone else sick then it should be ceased as it is not paramount to life continuing.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So 1m people unconnected to a football club can die and it's funny if that causes the cancellation but if 1 person connected to a football club does then it's not? Your logic is warped.

No Baz, you are just being ridiculous. By your wisdom, nothing that has any connection to Corona can be considered funny because people have died because of it. Thats complete rubbish. If you can't see that then nothing I say will make any difference.

Caporegime
When we’re in the other side of this it won’t be very funny on it impacting anything given the loss of life (which is already very significant but so distant to most people they don’t care)

I’m sure it’s an entertaining thought right now to some but imagine when they have someone connected impacted they won’t find it particularly funny

Don
No Baz, you are just being ridiculous. By your wisdom, nothing that has any connection to Corona can be considered funny because people have died because of it. Thats complete rubbish. If you can't see that then nothing I say will make any difference.
I'm only going by your logic. If you want to find it funny then that's down to you but it's odd where you draw the line between what is and isn't acceptable. You can laugh at something that will kill 1m people worldwide cancelling the League (providing you only laugh at that point) but you cannot laugh at a plane crash causing 23 lives being lost effecting a side winning a title, even if you're only laughing at the fact it cost them the title.

People will make little quips, as I have myself when I said we're bombing Wuhan if this causes the League being cancelled but I, and I assume the vast majority of people aren't being serious. You however doubled down and tried to seriously argue that this would be the same as Gerrard slipping over. That is ridiculous, not anything I've said.

Don
I don't think you understand that he's not laughing at something that kills people
No I understood which is why I asked if it's then fair game to laugh at Utd not winning the European Cup in 1958, providing I don't laugh at the disaster itself. For some reason that's not ok though.

Man of Honour
OP
Is there a realistic chance Liverpool won’t win it though? I just can’t see the league being made void. Although if this drags on for another 2-3 months then options will be limited.

Don
direct/indirect is the difference. Lets just drop it though, it's clear you won't be swayed.
No, it's not a difference. fez has argued that as long as you're just laughing at the consequence it's fine. But we're getting away from the initial point in which fez seriously tried to claim that this is no different to a player slipping over. That is complete and utter nonsense. People will have differing views on what is and isn't acceptable to laugh at but nobody with an ounce of sense could argue that they are two comparable situations.
Is there a realistic chance Liverpool won’t win it though? I just can’t see the league being made void. Although if this drags on for another 2-3 months then options will be limited.
The only recent precedent is from Chile where the League was cancelled with 6 games to go, the title and Copa Amercia spots were given out based on the current League position but relegation and promotion was cancelled.

Soldato
My sons U8's Academy matches have all been suspended until April 4th.
He is set to break into 100 goals this season, looks like that milestone is out of the window now.

Obs health concerns trump any sporting sessions :)

Man of Honour
Regarding this 'humour' thing I was pondering on it earlier (the morality of CV jokes) and came to the conclusion that people joke about things causing many more deaths than CV has.
People joke about driving, when road accidents kill over a million people a year. People joke about alcoholics, which claims god knows how many lives.

Leaving jokes to one side I think with Liverpool being so far in front they could state they will declare Liverpool winners unless there are objections from the other league members. And I can't see any of them doing that in good conscience, even Man City / Pep have given up on the title.
It's the rest of the league that is more problematic, i.e. relegation, CL qualification, promotion from the Championship etc where there would be countless arguments.

Soldato
Promotion and relegation is a much bigger problem than any titles imo. At least Liverpool can say they basically won the league should the league get cancelled. Teams missing out on the biggest pay day in football could make or break their club for years to come.

Caporegime
I don't think there would be too much argument if they just finished the season here, maybe played a few play-offs if possible or just awarded promotions to 3rd place finishers. Football is so commercial though I don't think they would do it, they'd be much more likely to extended this season and start next season after a short break.

edit: looking at it Aston Villa would be the most objectional as they're 2 points from safety with a game in hand, can't see them beating Wolves but still.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Like it or not lots of fans of other clubs will find it funny if Liverpool don't win the title this season because of this. They aren't laughing at the situation the country is in they are laughing at Liverpool fans.

They will be given the title. If they don't the FA need to seriously look at themselves.

The SFA have already come out and said Celtic will win if it doesn't restart.

So if the English FA don't follow suit I'd be very surprised.

Don
I don't think there would be too much argument if they just finished the season here, maybe played a few play-offs if possible or just awarded promotions to 3rd place finishers. Football is so commercial though I don't think they would do it, they'd be much more likely to extended this season and start next season after a short break.
It's not simply a case of football being commercial, it's a matter of survival for a number of clubs. Who knows what insurances clubs have in place or what's covered but there is huge potential for clubs to go bust over this and not just lower league sides but even PL sides.

Back
Top Bottom